How many miles did the OEM (factory) tires last on your CX-9?

Why are these tires so square, they aren't round at all on the tread. I know more tire works well for traction but the side wall on these 20's are quite low and need some give.

I'm driving from Savanah, GA from South Florida on Friday, my first trip ever with the CX-9. I'll have 4 huge adults and luggage for a 4 day trip.

Road trip!!!!

About 115,000 km on the originals from 2011. I checked the date code on the tire, they are dueller 422s. It is possible they were taken off in winter for the first 4 years, we bought it 2 years ago. At the moment, around 6/32 all around. Looking to replace before winter. When we bought the vehicle, they were at 8 or 9/32, and were decent for city driving in even heavy snow. Last year,though,started to feel a bit loose.

I'm at 38k on 2011 dated 2012 MY tires.

That said the tire shops are commenting on the age and cracking (NYC winters / salt / no garage).

Last edited:
wear on the inside tire is not normal. make sure your alignment is in spec (particularly camber which i doubt can be adjusted in stock form)

I recommend Yokohama tires for Mazda cars. Advan sport, avid envigors and s drives in particular are good choices from a performance perspective.

+1 that inside tire wear is not normal. Asymmetrical tires may wear on the outside faster since one side always has to be on the outside, but yeah inside tire wear is another issue.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Nitto 421Q
For my situation, this will be best, but not everyone's situation is equal.
Our CX-9 is a secondary vehicle, hardly is every being used these days. Turning into a garage queen. But I wouldn't trade it for a million bucks.
421Q will be great for channeling water, and at interstate speeds, while providing decent traction. Should have a good steering line on the road.
We are living in southwest PA now which receives moderate snowfall and ice. But I don't really plan on taking her out of the garage in the winter, if ever.
I even considered a summer tire.
First priority for me was 105 rating. We have packed the 9 up with some pretty heavy items from time to time.
Not a whole lot to choose from in the 105 category.
General Altimax RT43 just didn't do it for me. Good ratings but a boring tire with what seems like is zero wheel lip bumpout on the sidewall of the tire. Plus despite the reviews, I couldn't get past "general." A me thing.
I measured the tread on the 421Q and it is reading between 10.5/32 and 11/32. Nowhere on any of the 4 tires is it 12/32 like their specifications say, which is somewhat scandalous.
Some reviews complain of road noise, while other reviews state really quiet.
After considerable research, it seems like some of these folks complaints of a "horrible noise" may be rocks stuck in the tread, due to the design.
This wouldn't be the first tire I picked rocks out of. Not a big deal to me.
Considered going with a 255/50/20 or 255/45/20 but there are mixed thoughts about abs & traction control issues/effects from changing tire size like that.

Will update another time about performance. May be a long while since these may not get mounted for some time. Going to buy some tie rods for good measure too.

Photo group below: (sorry, seems that the usual IMG insertion method is not working tonight.

http://s10.photobucket.com/user/helbigtw/media/0911171909_zps9urdk7n4.jpg.html

Last edited:
+1 that inside tire wear is not normal. Asymmetrical tires may wear on the outside faster since one side always has to be on the outside, but yeah inside tire wear is another issue.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Nitto 421Q
For my situation, this will be best, but not everyone's situation is equal.
Our CX-9 is a secondary vehicle, hardly is every being used these days. Turning into a garage queen. But I wouldn't trade it for a million bucks.
421Q will be great for channeling water, and at interstate speeds, while providing decent traction. Should have a good steering line on the road.
We are living in southwest PA now which receives moderate snowfall and ice. But I don't really plan on taking her out of the garage in the winter, if ever.
I even considered a summer tire.
First priority for me was 105 rating. We have packed the 9 up with some pretty heavy items from time to time.
Not a whole lot to choose from in the 105 category.
General Altimax RT43 just didn't do it for me. Good ratings but a boring tire with what seems like is zero wheel lip bumpout on the sidewall of the tire. Plus despite the reviews, I couldn't get past "general." A me thing.
I measured the tread on the 421Q and it is reading between 10.5/32 and 11/32. Nowhere on any of the 4 tires is it 12/32 like their specifications say, which is somewhat scandalous.
Some reviews complain of road noise, while other reviews state really quiet.
After considerable research, it seems like some of these folks complaints of a "horrible noise" may be rocks stuck in the tread, due to the design.
This wouldn't be the first tire I picked rocks out of. Not a big deal to me.
Considered going with a 255/50/20 or 255/45/20 but there are mixed thoughts about abs & traction control issues/effects from changing tire size like that.

Will update another time about performance. May be a long while since these may not get mounted for some time. Going to buy some tie rods for good measure too.

Photo group below: (sorry, seems that the usual IMG insertion method is not working tonight.

http://s10.photobucket.com/user/helbigtw/media/0911171909_zps9urdk7n4.jpg.html

I would never even look at a tire from a brand name "General"

the yokohama tires that came OEM on my Mazda 6 (not geolanders)are amazing and I wont buy any other brand for this car ever. the vehicle feels impeccably tuned to Yoko's performance tires. the steering/chassis feel is second to none and the grip in the rain is outstanding. I'm very impressed.

MY 2011 GT had about 61K before I changed them. I did it right before the snow season, and they were about 2-3 mm left.. sadly, I wish I didn't spend the $800 to change them, cuz I ended up getting a 2017 3 months later...

I would never even look at a tire from a brand name "General"

the yokohama tires that came OEM on my Mazda 6 (not geolanders)are amazing and I wont buy any other brand for this car ever. the vehicle feels impeccably tuned to Yoko's performance tires. the steering/chassis feel is second to none and the grip in the rain is outstanding. I'm very impressed.

Which Yoko's did/do you have? the Spec-X?

Which Yoko's did/do you have? the Spec-X?

From the factory I have advan a83a tires. Very good tires with outstanding performance. Treadwear wasnt the best and they were noisy on the highway. But the tires were comfortable and the grip was outstanding. I recently replaced the front tires with avid envigors, which are about half the price with a very mild sacrifice in performance.

Id recommend the advan sports for a Mazda.

"I would never even look at a tire from a brand name "General""
It is one of Continental's brand names.

"I would never even look at a tire from a brand name "General""
It is one of Continental's brand names.

You guys surprise me.

I hate Yokohamas having had them wear crazy fast on both a sedan and SUV.

I've been happy with multiple sets of Continental CrossContacts on various cars including my CX-5 and CX-9. My only complaint is that the sidewalls are softer than I would like. The performance in wet and snow is great.

Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring? I need to replace the Dueller Ecopia 422's (noisy, bad in snow). CS5 reviews look decent at about half the cost of the Michelin LTX. The CS5 is H rated rather than V, which I expect will result in less nimble handling. Anyone try these?

59,350 miles. Replaced with Goodyear Assurance Ultratour from Discount Tire (this model tire is exclusive to Discount Tire). I was inclined toward the OEM or Michelin Latitude, but talking to the rep at Discount Tire, he recommended the Goodyear model as best value for money and perfectly suitable for the kind of driving I do. They come with a 70,000 mile warranty (vs. 0 for the Bridgestone or 60,000 for Michelin). Discount Tire also includes life of tire rotations in cost of tires (save a few bucks on a service) they are also two blocks from work so I can get the tires rotated on the way to/from work and get the pressure checked every month.

Back