Bluetooth help- I just want music, not handsfree phone

Has anyone found a way to connect their phone to the car just for audio paring and not their phone? In the Bluetooth settings on the head unit of my 2014 GT there is a setting to connect phone and music player but every time I re-start the car it re-connects both. I don't want to make calls or get texts through my car so any tricks for just bluetooth audio only?

If you are using an Android device, you can also enable/disable phone or audio bluetooth connection on the phone side. Go to your bluetooth settings, tap the settings for the Mazda connection, and untick the box for the phone profile, leaving only media profile ticked.

If you are using an Android device, you can also enable/disable phone or audio bluetooth connection on the phone side. Go to your bluetooth settings, tap the settings for the Mazda connection, and untick the box for the phone profile, leaving only media profile ticked.

I'm using a iphone 5 by the way.

Then you will have to disable the phone connection on the car each time you start it.

Just curious, but what's the big deal? If you don't want to receive calls while driving, just hang up on the steering wheel. You can also transfer a call between the handsfree and the iPhone handset using a voice command. If you must make a call with the handset while driving, then you can bypass bluetooth on the iPhone, but using the handset kind of defeats the purpose of the handsfree as a safety feature. And if you're texting while driving, then you are an inconsiderate moron. But I'm not saying that you are doing that.

Last edited:
If you go into the bluetooth settings on the head unit and select your phone towards the bottom right you should see two buttons, one for phone and one for music. Just toggle the phone one off.

Back