Install 6" x 9" instead of OEM 6" x 8" rear speakers ?

Don't do it

Is there anybody tried to install 6" x 9" instead of 6" x 8" for rear speakers in a 2008 Mazda 5 ?

I recently replaced the rear speakers in my 2007 Mazda 5, which should be pretty much the same back there as the 2008. The new speakers were the stock size 6X8 but they had a larger magnet and they hardly fit. The space behind was too shallow. But that is not the reason why I don't think you should do it. Replacing the rear speakers made little difference to me. When I replaced the front speakers with Infinities, the sound quality improved a great deal. Replacing the rear speakers did not have the same effect. Sure, they sound nicer and crisper when you are right in front of them (will anyone be???) but they do not create the rich deep sound the new front speakers do. I think it may have something to do with how the speakers are just mounted on the steel frame of the car in the back with a large (but shallow) empty area behind them while they are sitting in an enclosure in the front door. They are probably able to resonate better in there. Here is a wiki article on that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudspeaker_enclosure . In short, save yourself the trouble. Even if the 6X9 speakers fit, they will not make a big difference compared to your stock speakers.

Thanks a lot vmale for those details, I really appreciate. I think I'll get better speakers, probably fit 6.5" MB Quart Reference Component in the front, and try this before change rear speakers. On Metra website, when you choose our car in the list, they talk about 5" dept for rear speakers. Seems to be less than those numbers. So I think I'm not gonna change rear speaker for the moment

Thanks again !

Wow, you're going all out! I see you also replaced the head unit. You should be set up for some nice sound.

Where will you put the crossovers? I was not sure if I could easily replace the tweeters so I just left the original ones in. Now I have two sets of tweeters: the originals and the ones in the new 2-way speakers but it does not bother me. I am just glad the sound quality is much better now.

Good luck!

Back