Sliding Door Problem?

Kevstaarr

:
2013 Mazda 5 Sport
Has anyone ever had this problem? I recently encountered this problem with my 2013 sport model when I tried to open the passenger side sliding door. I can open from the outside, but it'll only open about 1/4 of the way, it get stuck, and won't fully open. Kind of like something is stuck? I'm pretty sure that it'll be covered under warranty, but I'm afraid they might void my warranty for other mods such as the suspension work. Has anyone ever encountered this problem?

Have you check to see if there is something stuck on the rail? They should not void your warranty for suspension work.

Check the latch on the bottom track. I'm having a hard time trying to describe it, but there is a catch that moves about 90 degrees to lock the door shut or open or something. At one time mine was moved to the wrong direction when open and it caused something like that. I used a screwdriver to move it back to keep from getting the stubborn grease on myself.

Check the latch on the bottom track. I'm having a hard time trying to describe it, but there is a catch that moves about 90 degrees to lock the door shut or open or something. At one time mine was moved to the wrong direction when open and it caused something like that. I used a screwdriver to move it back to keep from getting the stubborn grease on myself.

Have you check to see if there is something stuck on the rail? They should not void your warranty for suspension work.

Thanks, I'll definitely check it out in the morning when it's light out. It's kind of weird that it happened cause I rarely open my sliding doors. Plus I'm running wide wheels & haven't gotten an alignment to set my camber (door hits my wheels). I'm just hoping they won't "record" that I modified my suspension if I ever have a suspension problem in the future.

*I'll try to take some photos on both sides to see if you could point out that "latch" at the bottom, so I could get a better understanding on what I need to fix.

Last edited:
Sounds dumb to mention it, but if your fuel filler door on the passenger side is open the sliding door will stop about 1/3 of the way so as not to hit it.

The passenger side sliding door has a safety mechanism that stops the door from opening all the way when you are filling gas. It allows the door to open about 1/4 way and hits a stop to keep it from hitting the nozzle in case you are filling gas. It gets triggered when you release the gas refill door and disables when you close the gas door. Check to make sure it is closed. I don't know exactly how the mechanism works but it should be pretty simple and mechanially linked. I would suggest looking at this first.

Sounds dumb to mention it, but if your fuel filler door on the passenger side is open the sliding door will stop about 1/3 of the way so as not to hit it.

I believe you guys may be right because I had to take off my gas lid to send it to paint because they needed something to use, so that they are able to color match my lip and side skirts. Once I get my fuel lid back, I'll install it back in, and if it persists, it must be something else. Thanks guys!

a637fecc849211e3a73f0e21cff7f392_8.jpg

tumblr_mzyvgdD4D51qb19zno1_500.jpg

They took it off, so they are able to use that as a guide to make sure they get the correct color when they paint my kit. Thanks for all the help. Hopefully it'll solve the problem once it's installed again.

Last edited:
Dude, how low are you running?

Here's a photo taken a couple weeks back to give you an idea:
tumblr_mxih954GFh1qb19zno1_1280.jpg

Since then, I lowered the front about 1/4" and the rear another 1/2". I have about another 3/4's" to go lower in the front and 1/4" in the rear, but than I'd be rubbing all over the place.

Last edited:
MarkVII88 and Silentnoise713 were correct!

Just spent $1,200 on the rear suspension and some front end work when I get home and the sliding door now all of a sudden doesn't want to open more than 1/4 of the way! I was pissed. Noticed the middle track had interference. Pulled off the panel covering it, and when I'd try poking the piece in it would just come back out. Took a while to find this thread (only one of its kind) and ran out to see if it was the safety mechanism (had never even heard of such) and sure enough! The gas door is damaged, doesn't close nor open properly, not sure how this time the button was engaged but either way it's all good now! That exterior panel doesn't seem to have gone back in properly but whatever.

Thanks a bunch. Hope this helps others.

Here's a photo taken a couple weeks back to give you an idea:

Since then, I lowered the front about 1/4" and the rear another 1/2". I have about another 3/4's" to go lower in the front and 1/4" in the rear, but than I'd be rubbing all over the place.

Sorry for start talking about the rims, but that's so cool. I am saving $$$ to buy new rims + tires, and my plan is to go down to 16", but this kind of picture makes me think twice about that. Looks great.

Last edited:
How is that even drivable, mine is lowered only an inch and it is already a PITA?

I agree mine is lowered on H&Rs and although not a PITA to drive I wouldn't want it any lower. Also, Kevstaar please don't take it personal but those wheels are hideous. It also doesn't help that I personally hate chrome anything especially wheels. Sorry...

Back