Does anyone else hate ABS with every ounce of your soul?

bpt323

FE3-323
:
Madison, WI
:
Mazda 5, 323
ever since purchasing the car the ABS was dangerously overactive. so my solution was to "**** IT- pull the fuse"
which left me with the ANNOYING undimmable ABS & Brake light glaring in your face every waking moment.

running through the FSM i decided to figure out once & for all how to easily shut off those damn lights.

here's what i came up with: (thought)
Following the below diagram you can see that outputs "W" & "X" control the annoying cluster lights.

so here's my idea- Does anyone see any issues with this??
Pull the main ABS fuse(under the hood)
and simply De-pin from the ABS unit harness plug pin's "W" & "X"

P5 abs depin.jpg

Last edited:
just pull your gauge cluster, there is a guide to do it here somewhere, and take the lights that illuminate those out the cluster is a plastic cover and 3 screws and 3 harnesses to remove took me 10 minutes

I don't have anything to offer as far as disabling or modifying the system... other than I wouldn't touch it. If you're just talking about normal winter driving, maybe you need some Haakapelitta!

My ABS was disabled due to a bad RR sensor. Big red ABS light but my shop inspected it anyways. I swear ABS is dangerous in the wintertime.. my new '07 Mazda5 just wont' stop sometimes when ABS kicks in so i have to manually pump the brakes anyways.. ******* stupid.

Last edited:
I don't have anything to offer as far as disabling or modifying the system... other than I wouldn't touch it. If you're just talking about normal winter driving, maybe you need some Haakapelitta!

I have snow tires. as i stated the ABS is way overactive to the point of being dangerous. i couldn't back out of my driveway without ABS trying to trigger. as jesseM said....... "******* stupid"

Im not about to take the ghetto route & pull my guage cluster lights out. im looking for an actual solution to just shut them off.
today is a bit warmer so i'll go ahead & experiment as i posted & report back.

Hahaha that's why I'm glad my car didn't come with ABS!! That way I can lock them when I want and not have to worry about it. It is weird on the rare occasion that I drive someone else's car and it goes off. Kinda startles me for a second.

why not just replace RR sensor, I'm getting ready to replace my RR sensor i got off ebay... 16.29 total shipped

why not just replace RR sensor, I'm getting ready to replace my RR sensor i got off ebay... 16.29 total shipped

Car was rusting out, had 230,000km, needed too much. Plus we have 2 kids now, P5 was cramped. So I traded it in towards a 2007 Mazda5 GT. Ver nice.

Besides, I'd have to take the wheel off, pb blast it,whack for a half hour, scrape an inch of crud off the sensor wire... and I don't even want ABS lol

Last edited:
well i just unplugged the whole ABS unit & the lights didn't go off. so as of now im not really sure if this will really work. its too ******* cold out to do much so i'll have to wait till warmer weather.

My ABS light went off and while trying to fix it I found that the ABS control unit is $1,200.

I have never had my ABS kick in except when I do it on purpose,... I think it's kinda cool,... it's feels and sounds like skidding on gravel. (I'm technically an old man and now I drive that way)

When ever the roads are slippery I hammer the brakes to kick it in,.. I figure it's a good way to know they work and to keep them operational.

If you have to get an emission test then disabling the light won't help,... I live in Ontario and they don't even sniff the tail pipe anymore,... the just plug into the OBDll port and that is damn hard to fool.

I would suggest to anyone with ABS to "use it or loose it" and give the system a workout once and a while to make sure it works and help keep it operational.

The ABS system goes a LONG way toward diagnosing a lot of different problems and is very sensitive. It tells you exactly what to look at if you do the proper diagnosing

If my car told me I need a new sensor, I'd just get a new sensor.

P.S. My problem was that I had spun the wheels in the air with the engine running,... the light went out when I finally drove the car about 50 feet.

bpt323,... did you do the jumper wire under the hood thing to find out why the ABS unit thinks there's something wrong???

Last edited:
i pulled the main fuse from the ABS- so it no longer gets power. theres nothing wrong error wise with the system. ABS just plain blows a bag of goat nuts

i couldn't back out of my driveway without ABS trying to trigger. as jesseM said....... "******* stupid"

Your car shouldn't throw a MIL backing out of the driveway. (unless you're pulling huge G forces)
If your car used to back out of the driveway without throwing a code then your ABS ECU (head unit) is trying to tell you there is something wrong.

You really should plug everything back together and find out what your ABS HU is trying so stubbornly to tell you.

You just plug in a jumper wire under the hood and the idiot light on the dash tells you what's wrong.

I read in an old thread that pulling the fuse also disables some form of electronic brake force distribution. Supposedly the best way to disable ABS was to remove one of the rear sensors. Does anyone have a picture or diagram on how to do so?

During a snowy afternoon, I was stopping at an intersection, braked lightly like 100-meters away. Right at the intersection I was running about 5 Kph when I decided to make a full stop. ABS kicked in and my car would not stop! The crossroad was already green and my car was still not stopping!

During a snowy afternoon, I was stopping at an intersection, braked lightly like 100-meters away. Right at the intersection I was running about 5 Kph when I decided to make a full stop. ABS kicked in and my car would not stop! The crossroad was already green and my car was still not stopping!

Your ABS is working fine. ABS just stops the wheels from locking up. The only thing that would help you is stickier snow tires.

Your car shouldn't throw a MIL backing out of the driveway. (unless you're pulling huge G forces)
If your car used to back out of the driveway without throwing a code then your ABS ECU (head unit) is trying to tell you there is something wrong.

You really should plug everything back together and find out what your ABS HU is trying so stubbornly to tell you.

You just plug in a jumper wire under the hood and the idiot light on the dash tells you what's wrong.

my car never threw a MIL - ABS just activated. & i re-iterate "******* stupid"
Dangerous too

my car never threw a MIL - ABS just activated. & i re-iterate "******* stupid"
Dangerous too

I'm not disagreeing with that,.. I did throw an ABS mil (I forgot about spinning a wheel with the engine running part) and while trouble shooting I Googled the ABS head unit to find out it was $1200

You forgot "******* expensive"

But,... if your car never used to activate that easily, there may be something to fix,.. and it may even be cheap and easy ???

you seem to be missing the point- i don't want to "fix it"
I want a solid solution to pulling it out & not having silly lights shining in my face at all times.

I needed to re read the thread,...

I think both you and Luken are on the right track.

I read in an old thread that pulling the fuse also disables some form of electronic brake force distribution. Supposedly the best way to disable ABS was to remove one of the rear sensors. Does anyone have a picture or diagram on how to do so?

If it were me, I would do exactly what you are thinking,.. But I wouldn't pull the pins if that means you can't reverse it in case we're wrong. I personally would cut the wires W and X about two inches back from the connector in case you have shrink wrap it back together.

I don't remember that connector but usually you can carefully remove the pins with a needle or tiny flathead and reinsert them if you have to.

Back