Rattling noise

mike662

I have a rattling noise coming from under the hood. Sounds like it's close to the transmission. I read it could be a bad throw out bearing, but listening to sounds of bad TOB's on youtube those sound different. I also read it could be the heat shield. The noise goes away when I depress the clutch pedal and comes back when I release it again.

Here is the sound, it starts at about 6 seconds into the video, it's a metallic rattling noise: http://youtu.be/s7ldpm01944?t=5s

Anyone ever have a similar sound or know what it's from?

I don't have a lot of experience with car noises... but I am hearing a squealing bearing, and what I beleive is a rattling of the falling apart bearing on the actuator arm/pressure plate forks. So it sounds like a bad throw out bearing to me... especially since you say it goes away when you use the clutch pedal.

I've had a rattling under acceleration, and it was always right around 2500 rpm. The cheap header the previous owner put on was backed right up against the oil pan and it rattled terribly. Now I have another rattle, but it is at low rpm and I believe it to be a heat shield.

With yours being clutch related, I'd definitely wait for advice from more experienced members on here, like lowlevel above. ;)

I don't have a lot of experience with car noises... but I am hearing a squealing bearing, and what I beleive is a rattling of the falling apart bearing on the actuator arm/pressure plate forks. So it sounds like a bad throw out bearing to me... especially since you say it goes away when you use the clutch pedal.

Is what you call the squealing bearing a loud noise? I can't really hear any type of squealing in the video. The loudest noise that maybe could be taken as a squealing is actually suction noise from the intake. Could that be what you're hearing or is it more subtle and I'm missing it?

Is what you call the squealing bearing a loud noise? I can't really hear any type of squealing in the video. The loudest noise that maybe could be taken as a squealing is actually suction noise from the intake. Could that be what you're hearing or is it more subtle and I'm missing it?

I guess it could just be suction noise... The noise I think is a bearing, is the predominant noise in the video... I seem to think it varies a little bit, as if its rotational... like a bad pully bearing or something. Squealing is the wrong word... i probably should have said ... squeeky. The other noise, which is harder to pick out... I hear a rattling noise which I think is the one you're mainly concerned about.

I think you should get someone to hear it in person.. a certain amount of information is lost when viewed as a video.
I'm also hearing it on crappy laptop speakers, so ... yeah my post is just a guess based on where you say it's coming from, what affects it, and how it sounds to me.

If it's a rattle that most definitely disappears when you push the clutch in it is most likely the throwout bearing but possibly the pilot bearing.

Back