How to restore old scratched up CD's

V8toilet

:
2014 CX-5 FWD Touring auto and 2012 Mazda 5 Sport
So now that I have a new more powerful sound system I started looking into my old CD collection from years ago. Most of those CDs were tossed around inside boxes in my storage and ended up so scratched up that they were unplayable. Some were really bad and I thought for sure they were a loss. I did some research on the internet and found all kinds of things like people using toothpaste to remove the scratches. Well toothpaste didnt work for me and only made more scratches in the plastic. I then found some Maguires cleaner wax in my garage and decided to use a polishing wheel on my Dremel tool and buff the scratches out. The results were astonishing! With the Dremel set on 1-2 speed and light pressure I was able to polish out almost all of the scratches. CDs that just wouldnt play now play perfectly. Some of them I polished out the scratches completely and they look brand new now. I wish I knew how to post pictures so I could show you just how well it works.

IMO, convert the cds to mp3's (with windows media player for example, pretty straightforward), and put them on a flash drive..then you'll have your cd's all one on source.

Yeah I'm old school but MP3 cant match the audio qaulity of a good qaulity CD and I had all these great CD's in boxes I had to restore. I guess some of you didnt notice that there is a CD slot still in your factory reciever. Chris. I'll have to try that and see how it works.

Thanks

Its sounds like itll turn out funny. "Ill buff my old scratched up cds with Maguires! Thatll work" every cd ruined.. I mean im not doubting you or anything but damn thats clever haha

Its sounds like itll turn out funny. "Ill buff my old scratched up cds with Maguires! Thatll work" every cd ruined.. I mean im not doubting you or anything but damn thats clever haha

It doesn't work as well by hand, you need a Dremel with a buffing wheel for best results.

People still use CDs?
They're not very compact in my opinion.

Hah you young kids... I remember a 45rpm record player in my dad's car... that was before the 8-track. I still use CD so that it remembers what song I was listening to and does not start at the same tune every morning.

Back