Engine Mount ?

cbea1124

:
02 Mazda Protege5
Hello,

2002 Protege5 hatchback/Automatic/128,000

I want to replace all my motor mounts....I saw this add on ebay seeling the EM combo.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Then I see other posts in the forum indicating just replace the inserts.
The ones on ebay that i have link to above...are they just the mounts and don't include the inserts?

I drive around town and no high speed racing. I just want a smoother ride.
any recommendations for inserts or mounts?
Thanks

I've heard the cheap ones don't last long... but seeing as the car's already 12 years old... perhaps it doesn't matter any more.
Watching this thread to see what people suggest and what you end up doing, as I think I want to replace all mine too.

I used rock auto for everything but the rear mount. I ordered an OEM mount from Mazda for that. I can do the other ones really easily with the engine hoist, but I wanted to make sure I didn't need to take on the rear one again for another 100,000 miles.

Hello,

The ones on ebay that i have link to above...are they just the mounts and don't include the inserts?
[/B]

I'm also planning to replace my mounts right now and have been researching this a bit.

Prothane-Motor-Mount-Inserts.jpg

Basically the way this works is that the the mounts come with rubber in them already. This rubber has voids in it so that the rubber can flex when the engine is moving around and absorb some of the engine vibrations. You lose a bit of power this way since the motor is flexing the rubber instead of moving wheels about. Some people buy after market inserts to fill up the voids to make the engine more responsive by limiting its natural range of motion. This'll add lots of extra vibrations, etc, to your car.

Here's a link to some pricing of differing mounts by various sellers.

I used rock auto for everything but the rear mount. I ordered an OEM mount from Mazda for that. I can do the other ones really easily with the engine hoist, but I wanted to make sure I didn't need to take on the rear one again for another 100,000 miles.

I'm thinking of doing that too. I did just buy all 4 mounts, but an OEM rear mount is only $80 (~$90 with shipping) and it'll save hours of work later on. I haven't looked at the rear mount yet so I can't tell if it needs to be replaced, but once I start tearing stuff apart I'll see if I can get a glimpse of it.

I did my rear when I had the trans out for a clutch replacement. It was easy to get at then, but otherwise it looks like it'd be terrible.

The rear mount is not that bad, the trick is to use extensions. I do not recommend the cheap aftermarket mounts, they are not worth the few dollars saved. Every car I installed them on would vibrate and shake like it had a solid mount.

Just yesterday, shopped around for these mounts at O'Reillys, Autozone, Pep Boys.

O'Reillys has 3 in stock, can get the 4th. Cost of all 4 was about $200, but ask for a discount; you might get it to about $160 to 180.
Autozone has only 2 in stock, can not get 3rd and 4th.
(I don't recall which they have/which they don't. Sorry.)
Pep Boys was closed! Renovating, looks like they are going to be selling tires and wheels only. Darn.
I'm scared to get such a problematic part via eBay- basically no warranty. O'Reillys has lifetime warranty, but of course it's on you for labor, which as mentioned is no mean feat, esp. for rear mount.

I don't need the little bit of extra power stiffer mounts or those red inserts might harvest, but I do NOT ever want to replace the mounts, again. Anyone have a reasonably-priced source for aftermarket ploy mounts or those inserts?

If you want a smooth ride, nothing beats the stock/OEM mounts as they're soft rubber. Some of the aftermarket ones (i.e. Beck Arnley, DEA) will give you stock-like ride but will be a little more harsh. I tried the Beck Arnley and DEA lower engine mounts (one behind the radiator) and although the fitment was fine, I noticed slightly more vibrations at idle compared to the stock mount. I eventually got a stock one for $60 and was back to smooth OEM ride. The Beck Arnley and DEA mounts are pretty cheap on Amazon...especially if you have Amazon Prime and get free 2-day shipping:

Beck Arnley (very slight vibration compared to stock): https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

DEA (slightly more vibration than Beck Arnley): https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I also replaced my passenger side one with an aftermarket and fitment was fine, no extra vibration at idle that I noticed. If you want to replace all four, Amazon sells them as a set as well, but make sure it's for an Automatic Tranny:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Last edited:
I did my rear when I had the trans out for a clutch replacement. It was easy to get at then, but otherwise it looks like it'd be terrible.

same, its definitely a good time to do it, we looked at all the mounts while doing it and rear was shot others looked great though.

If you want a smooth ride, nothing beats the stock/OEM mounts as they're soft rubber. Some of the aftermarket ones (i.e. Beck Arnley, DEA) will give you stock-like ride but will be a little more harsh. I tried the Beck Arnley and DEA lower engine mounts (one behind the radiator) and although the fitment was fine, I noticed slightly more vibrations at idle compared to the stock mount. I eventually got a stock one for $60 and was back to smooth OEM ride. The Beck Arnley and DEA mounts are pretty cheap on Amazon...especially if you have Amazon Prime and get free 2-day shipping:

Beck Arnley (very slight vibration compared to stock): https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

DEA (slightly more vibration than Beck Arnley): https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I also replaced my passenger side one with an aftermarket and fitment was fine, no extra vibration at idle that I noticed. If you want to replace all four, Amazon sells them as a set as well, but make sure it's for an Automatic Tranny:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Is there any place to find OEM mounts for less than $500 though? My car was only $4900 (incl. TTL) and I can't fathom spending 10% of the total cost on a single repair.

Is there any place to find OEM mounts for less than $500 though? My car was only $4900 (incl. TTL) and I can't fathom spending 10% of the total cost on a single repair.

Check onlinemazdaparts.com. They sell OEM parts for about 20% off. You'll have to enter the part numbers of the mounts or use their diagrams. I purchased my lower engine mount off eBay for $55.

Last edited:

How do you think I feel, my car was free! haha

Is it fair to say the front and rear mounts take more abuse/wear faster than the side mounts? I havn't been able to get in and inspect mine yet due to the friggin' cold weather... but I'm wondering if I really just need to replace the rear and or front mounts in my case...

You can't honestly expect to buy an 11 year old car and spend no money in maintenance.

cant forget the zipties either!

You forgot coat hangers (the old school metal wire ones)

For anyone else reading this,... remember that the passenger side motor mount has a different length "arm" for the automatic and standard transmission. If your parts supplier doesn't know this or ask you then be careful, (especially on E-Bay).

(Yea I know,.. why the passenger side ??? ,.. you'd think the one on the tranny.)

You can't honestly expect to buy an 11 year old car and spend no money in maintenance.

Oh I completely agree, but once you spend say.. 100% of the original purchase price of your used car on extra upgrades, you might as well have bought a slightly newer car to begin with :p

Back