OEM Backup Cam with Aftermarket Stereo

Pioneer appradio3 sph-da210
OK, well I downloaded and read the user manual for you. (You DID read the manual, didn't you?)

On p.67 (of the version I had), I see the following:

Adjusting the picture
You can adjust the brightness, contrast, color,
hue, dimmer and temperature for each source
and rear view camera.
Playback the source you want to adjust
the picture.
Display the “System” screen.

For details, refer to
Customizing the
system settings
on page
Tap [Picture Adjustment].
The picture adjustment screen appears.
If you are adjusting the picture adjust
-ment, select the
source

Rear View
: Adjusts the picture for the
rear view camera.

Source
: Adjusts the picture for the
source. The current source name is dis
-
played on the picture adjustment screen.
Tap any of the following touch panel
keys to select the function to be adjusted.
Picture adjustment items are displayed.

Brightness
: Adjusts the black intensity.

Contrast
: Adjusts the contrast.

The printed manual that i have...does not refer to that...i downloaded the one you mean....i will try.
Many thanks RedBaron
Apart from brightness.... The resolution...does the pixels noticed due to higher resolution of the aftermarket stereo?

Enviado desde mi GT-I9300 mediante Tapatalk

Below are the steps I took to get the backup camera to come on automatically when in reverse. I am using the RP4 with a Pioneer AVH-X3600BHS. I could never get the camera to come on automatically before following these steps. I found some of this info on another forum where people were having similar issues with Pioneers, even without using something like the RP4.

1. Disconnect negative battery terminal to reset the RP4 and the head unit (or disconnect/reconnect the RP4 and go to step 3).
2. Reconnect the negative battery post.
3. Start engine
4. Put transmission in reverse
5. Go to the Pioneer's settings and change camera polarity to battery.
6. Put transmission back to park and then try reverse.

After doing this the camera comes on automatically for me each time the transmission is in reverse and I can still manually turn it on at any time if I want to. It is kinda cool watching the backup camera while going 70 mph (please don't do this unless you are the passenger).

Hey everyone.

First thanks to RedBaron and everyone else who's put so much detailed information up. I was able to install an AppRadio 4 in my CX-5 with Bose with little issue thanks to your info.

I'm having trouble with the OEM camera into the AppRadio. The Rp4 manual says that green wire from the interface connector is for the reverse signal, but I also see people here saying it's purple/white wire. I'm trying to understand which set of wires from the camera adapter I need to connect to the head unit and vehicle harness. I've already got it powered through the red ACC. Can anyone help?

Side note: I found this adapter unit from Beatsonic (http://www.beatsonicusa.com/cameras/beat-sonic-bc1-rear-back-up-camera-oem-interface-adapter.html) but haven't tried it. Looks like it's just a more expensive version of what you can do on your own via the instructions in this thread, but has anyone tried it?

Thanks all!

I'm having trouble with the OEM camera into the AppRadio. The Rp4 manual says that green wire from the interface connector is for the reverse signal, but I also see people here saying it's purple/white wire. I'm trying to understand which set of wires from the camera adapter I need to connect to the head unit and vehicle harness. I've already got it powered through the red ACC. Can anyone help?
Huh? The Purple/White wire is the Vehicle Speed wire - not sure where you saw to use that for reverse?.

The green wire is what you want for the reverse signal. It's all in the manual.

I have just installed Kenwood DNX6180 with the RP4-MZ11 harness but the screen does not switch to camera when the vehicle is put into reverse. i am reading no voltage on the green wire( attached to the purple/white wire ) when shifted into reverse. I am assuming there should be +12V when in reverse????

I have a 2014 CX-5 and I am considering the Alpine ILX-007 and need to figure out if I can use my oem camera. I know some of you have done it. Maybe I need more of a "dummies" guide.

Essentially I'd like to be able to return the car to stock should I choose to sell/trade it.

UPDATE:

Well I got the ILX-007 and have made pretty good progress. The one thing that's missing is I don't appear to be getting video. Still working on that. I know the camera is getting the 6V it needs....

Last edited:
Hi guys.
i have to move from my Appradio3 to a other head unit, due to the Appradio died (backlight lcd failed and always black blank display even touches and everything worked). The new Head Unit (chinise android 5.1.1 MTCD type) does not need RP4 to SWC controls. SWC signals are directly got from the CX5 connector and can be programmed for the Android specific function/action you want
The problem i have is to get the reverse signal to feed reverse camera
I want to avoid using the RP4 only for the reverse signal if possible.
I dont want to wire from the trunk any wire (back lights power)
I saw in this thread http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...sensor-wire-found-looking-for-VSS-wire-anyone that there is some pin on the mazda connector for the reverse signal
attachment.php

...but i tried it and i dont get any signal from that wire
Could be Mazda 6 and CX5 different?
Do you have any suggestion or should i go to RP4 to get that signal?
Many thanks in advance

I tried with the RP4 module to get the reverse signal.
Everything is connected (except the output swc cable that I don't need as the new headunit can interpret the signals directly from swc wires. r
RP4 module led is on....but I don't get any signal from green wire
This module worked fine with my old pioneer two months ago.
Camera is OK. Tried it separately to other video input for the headunit ....so the only thing missed is the reverse signal.

Enviado desde mi D6603 mediante Tapatalk

I tried with the RP4 module to get the reverse signal.
Everything is connected (except the output swc cable that I don't need as the new headunit can interpret the signals directly from swc wires. r
RP4 module led is on....but I don't get any signal from green wire
This module worked fine with my old pioneer two months ago.
Camera is OK. Tried it separately to other video input for the headunit ....so the only thing missed is the reverse signal

Hi Ikerg, I believe the RP4 Reverse Output is GND when car is in reverse, so you may need a relay to convert from GND to 12V

That RP4 signal worked on a pioneer...
What do you mean gnd to +12?
When 0 convert to +12 and when 12v convert to 0?
If so I had to get 12v measure when not in reverse and I get always the same 0v
Is not a standard input the reverse signals for all the headunit?

How can o reset the PAC?
I tried to press programming button for a while ....but it didn't work

What do you mean gnd to +12?
When 0 convert to +12 and when 12v convert to 0?

The green lead of RP4-MZ11 is grounded when the car is in reverse. To convert it to +12V, you may use a relay:
+ Coil to +12V
- Coil to Reverse from RP4
Relay Common to 12V
Relay NO to Radio BACK Input

This way, when RP4 outputs GND, the relay will switch and will connect the 12V from Common to the switched output connected to the radio.

Here you can find the instructions for the RP4:
http://www.pac-audio.com/PACProductData/RP4-MZ11/1_Instructions/rp4-mz11_instructions_012615.pdf

I am not using RP4, what I did is to wire from Back up light positive terminal to the Radio BACK input, and this is working like a champ.

Last edited:
But did you wire from back to front ? Or is there any close conector with the wire to the back lights?

Rp4 instructions shows that reverse signal is (+). Should I expect to get the +12V from the green wire from rp4?

Back