How long do OEM tires last?

That's funny---mine came from the dealer also at 42-44psi.....are they trying to make a good first impression re: mileage?

They're overinflated for the trip over on the boat, and for sitting on dealer lots, to keep the tires from getting flat spots.

Dealer prep is supposed to adjust the tire pressure, but for Mazda dealers (at least) that seems to rarely happen.

I always use the higher - full load pressures even though only 1 or 2 people in the car and no luggage in the boot. This firms up the softer ride on the 17's you get compared to the 19's.

the ride does not get bouncy. :)

Hi dad of jon

Timely reminder for me to update. Have been running at 38psi on all four wheels and wear seems to have evened out a bit across the tyre width. Down to 4 mm on the front and 5mm on the rears at 14,000 miles. I suppose I'd better replace them at 20,000 miles at the latest. There are very few tyre manufacturers who seem to do our size 17" wheels. I was thinking of Falkens next. If anyone has any further views on this any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Jonno21

I run 44 psi in my FWD, 2.0 liter, manual. I'm not sure the actual tread depth left on mine, but the center is only slightly worse than the outside tread. I also have 63,500 miles on the tires.

Nice! I'm on a similar boat. 60k miles, rotated once at 30k. Front is ~45%, rear is down to the wear bar with some camber wear.

These tires last a long time, maybe too long. They do seem to wear very evenly. I have ~22,000 miles on the car and the OEM tires still look new. But I run winter tires about 1/3 of the time so I expect the OEM's would last until I had 90,000 miles on the clock. I'll probably replace them early though. I don't like tires the last 1/3 - 1/4 of their useable life.

45,000 miles and I got a nail stuck so I went ahead and changed them with about 4/32" left. Went with Pirelli P7 Cinturato All Season Plus. New tires are very quiet.

I'm about 41,000 mi in Connecticut. OEMs are still able to keep up. I expect some point this year they will have to be replaced. I'm impressed so far. I wonder what's better out there. 19" tires are $$

Last edited:
I was shocked, really shocked last night when I picked up my vehicle and my tires are down to 2.5mm - minimum tire tread in Ontario, Canada is 1.5mm so I am getting ready to replace them. The shocking part comes from the fact that I barely have 37,000 km (just shy of 23,000 miles) on the car and I do drive carefully (mostly highway and very little city driving). Now the dealer quoted me 1,000.00 for the same tires. Like do they really expect me to put new tires on a car every 18 months? I think it is ridiculous that they even offer these things. When I ask for an All Weather tire they quote me all seasons claiming these are all weathers tires, like WTF?

I was shopping around in my area (Tri-Cities in Ontario) and am wondering if any fellow CX-5 drivers found a trustworthy place and might have something to share? I looked at various places, like Costco, CrappyTire, local tire shops. It is overwhelming....

I was shocked, really shocked last night when I picked up my vehicle and my tires are down to 2.5mm - minimum tire tread in Ontario, Canada is 1.5mm so I am getting ready to replace them. The shocking part comes from the fact that I barely have 37,000 km (just shy of 23,000 miles) on the car and I do drive carefully (mostly highway and very little city driving).

My OEM tires were showing wear bars just shy of 20,000 miles (US). I got badly stuck on a hill in 7 inches of snow because of the lack of tread (which I was unaware of, because I've never had tires wear out that fast!). I replaced them with some Michelin Primacy MXV4s, but as Michelin doesn't produce them in Mazda's odd choice of tire size, I got them in 235/50R19, which fits the OEM 19-inch wheels. They are not inexpensive, however (~US$300 per tire installed). Check out the Tire Fitments thread (http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123841230-CX-5-Tire-Fitments).

My OEM tires were showing wear bars just shy of 20,000 miles (US). I got badly stuck on a hill in 7 inches of snow because of the lack of tread (which I was unaware of, because I've never had tires wear out that fast!).

Well that was exactly my reaction - lol
I did not get stuck in snow luckily, we did have a pretty good driving season, there was some snow here in Canada. Roads are generally cleared quickly so that is why I am opting for all weather tires in the 17" size, I had 19" on my previous vehicle, I am glad the zoom zoom has 17's. I did check the tire fitments - thanks.
I would think a quality tire in 225/65/17 should not cost more than 190 USD, I might be wrong....

I was shocked, really shocked last night when I picked up my vehicle and my tires are down to 2.5mm - minimum tire tread in Ontario, Canada is 1.5mm so I am getting ready to replace them. The shocking part comes from the fact that I barely have 37,000 km (just shy of 23,000 miles) on the car and I do drive carefully (mostly highway and very little city driving). Now the dealer quoted me 1,000.00 for the same tires. Like do they really expect me to put new tires on a car every 18 months? I think it is ridiculous that they even offer these things. When I ask for an All Weather tire they quote me all seasons claiming these are all weathers tires, like WTF?

I was shopping around in my area (Tri-Cities in Ontario) and am wondering if any fellow CX-5 drivers found a trustworthy place and might have something to share? I looked at various places, like Costco, CrappyTire, local tire shops. It is overwhelming....

Do you have the stock Toyo 19's? IIRC... on recent rotation I figure I should get 40-50K miles (64-80KM) out of mine.

GT (19") stock tires - down to the wear marks at 19,500 miles and less than 2 years. HUGE disappointment in tires. I drive pretty sedately, mostly rural (but paved) roads. Those OE Toyo tires aren't cheap, either. I think 4 rubber bands wrapped around the rims would last longer.

Tires on my mustang lasted longer, and I abused tires on that car outrageously.

I run 35 psig front & rear and tread were is even across the tire for my type of driving. At 15,000 miles, it appears I may get to 35,000 max. ed

No idea on cost but when I have to replace tires I will go with these Conti DWS's. Great all weather tire.... grip & quiet. I had these on a former Maxima and loved them.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-23%20at%205.12.16%20PM.png

Great tire. I've got them on the wife's 3 and my CX-5. Love 'em.

I have almost 50,000 on 19" Toyo's, it looks like another 10,000 to reach the wear bars...

Just replaced mine at 36K, they had 3/32 tread left and dry rotting across the tread grooves on all the tires. all in all, not a horrible tire but glad to finally replace them.

I have almost 50,000 on 19" Toyo's, it looks like another 10,000 to reach the wear bars...
It seems very strange that some people are getting <20k miles on these tires while others are getting 60k. Differences of 10k miles could be from different road conditions and driving styles, but a difference of 40k miles is huge.

Perhaps Toyo has (huge) consistency or QC issues? No idea... Just seems odd, and is another reason to avoid purchasing Toyo's as replacement tires.

My 2014 Touring FWD just had all 4 replaced at 38,208 miles.
Replaced them with the Yokohama Avid Ascend tires.

I checked mine again today and seem to be holding at 8/32 (new 9.8/32) @ 11K miles.

I keep my tires inflated at 38 PSI.

It seems very strange that some people are getting <20k miles on these tires while others are getting 60k. Differences of 10k miles could be from different road conditions and driving styles, but a difference of 40k miles is huge.

Perhaps Toyo has (huge) consistency or QC issues? No idea... Just seems odd, and is another reason to avoid purchasing Toyo's as replacement tires.

Not likely, a majority of owners are seeing 40-60K mile life from the Toyos 19's. And the noise level doesn't degrade sharply as the tires wear.

Back