2007 Mazda 6 - lost both keys, need to program new ones.

yvette

:
Mazda 6
Hi, my purse got stolen and I had my keys in there. I was using the spares, until I lost those, too! I called the dealer and they want me to have the car towed to them so they can get me 2 keys and charge $300 plus the towing. No, thanks!

So is there any way I can buy myself a key and program it myself? My car is a 2007 Mazda 6 "5-door" (the one that looks like the regular car but where the trunk goes up with back window). The key is the switchblade type. I saw webistes where I can buy a key for about $89 or maybe ebay.

1. Do I need to buy 2 keys in order for this to work? Or is one enough?
2. Once I buy the key(s) I need, how do I program for a 2006 Mazda 6? I saw a post with steps but noticed that the person had an older model AND also noticed that in one of the steps you needed your original key. I don't have that.

Thanks!!

Only way to program them is at the dealer if you don't have any original keys, i'm sorry. It's a safety feature, all cars are that way.

Oh! Hmmm. A couple locksmiths that specialize in cars said they'd do it. Only a bit cheaper than the dealer but at least I don't have to get it towed. You think they're lying?
Thanks for the heads up.

They can cut the key but there is a chip inside the key that is programmed with Mazda IDS software, when I worked at mazda and programmed keys you had to send your name and information so they could very your ID before you could program the key. I don't know how a locksmith would have the IDS software that only dealers have but if they can do it and you can save money that's what I would do.

It's possible they have a device that can copy the RF signal from the chip inside the key but without the original key I don't see how they can program it.

Back