Replacing the radiator for CX9 07

PR42

:
2007 Mazda CX-9
Has anyone here performed this replacement yet?

If so, please let me know how difficult it is to remove the old radiator.....any special tools needed? Any helpful tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I've done it. It was my first radiator change, so I can't say if it's easy or hard as compared to other cards. The hardest part for me was detaching all the cable clips, especially the one inside the grille. You absolutely need to unplug that harness, otherwise you can't move the fans out of the way. I couldn't figure out how to remove the grille - it looks like the whole bumper needs to come out. I ended up prying it away as much as I could and sticking my hand in there. No special tools were needed. Can I ask why you are replacing the radiator? One other thing - the radiator box said to make sure that the nuts are sufficiently tight on the new radiator - something I didn't notice until later and had to climb under the car again. Good luck!

I want to replace because during the weekend was leaking. I went to the mechanic in the dealer and told me that i need to chage it. The estimate was $1,000, because they said that it needs to remove the bumper.

Anyone know of a how-to thread with pics? I'm doing this and am having a hell of a time getting all the wiring clips out of the way... almost ready to just pull the body panels/bumper :(

And yeah the fix I tried from the other thread didn't work worth a flip (lol)...

Last edited:
I've managed to get all the clips loose short of the ones behind the grill. I think if I can disconnect those I'll be able to pull the fans out from the top and then get at the radiator. Those remaining clips though, I can't figure them out

So I took the front bumper off and was able to get those remaining clips loose. Disconnected everything from the fans but can't seem to maneuver it out.

If anyone can give some pointers it would be helpful.

I've done the shocks/struts, A/c, and was going to just replace that one leaky hose before breaking the damn nipple off the radiator... I've spent way more time messing with this car than I've wanted to.

I figured it out... once I got all the wiring/hoses properly disconnected it wasn't too bad. I got everything put back to get her pretty easily.

You removed the radiator hoses? If you did where they replaced as well. I am asking because I noticed that you have a 2007 like mine. I am wondering when replacing a radiator on this car would it be wise to replace the hoses and the thermostat at the same time since you have it all apart.

If you've never replaced hoses on a '07, then I think it's a good preventative step. I try to replace hoses on my cars around 90k. If you are replacing the radiator, then it makes even more sense, as the old hoses will be a pain to install back. As for the thermostat, I did it too on the CX-9, but kept it on my Subaru for 240k problem-free miles. But once you remove that engine hose, there are only 3 screws that separate you from that thermostat, so why not?

Back