Where are the safety rating for 2nd gen Mazda5?

Thanks, that's better than nothing. Viewing the 2nd clip I can feel pain in my neck.

How can Mazda get away with no safety rating for 3 yrs??

The automakers themselves certify that their cars meet the crash test regulation requirements for the location it is being sold in. Every new car sold meets the regulation because the car is simply not allowed to be sold otherwise (there are serious serious penalties if the manufacturer sold a non-compliant vehicle). The OEM performs many crash tests to confirm this.

But some cars meet the minimum requirements, and some perform exceptionally well. The automaker doesn't assign any ranking to them, that's NHTSA (gov't body) or IIHS (private sector) (in the USA). Both have similar, but differing criteria, and even different tests. I have no clue how NHTSA or IIHS chose which vehicles, and when to test them. Sorry, can't answer that part.

Weird how the side curtains don't go off in the YouTube video (or were disabled). I have pretty much the exact same car and the side curtains go all the way back to the 3rd row...

Link to the full detailed results for the gen2 JNCAP test if anyone is interested:

http://www.nasva.go.jp/mamoru/en/car_detail/116

Last edited:
Weird how the side curtains don't go off in the YouTube video (or were disabled). I have pretty much the exact same car and the side curtains go all the way back to the 3rd row...

Side air bag Not Provided
Side curtain Air bag Not Provided

Must be different requirements in Japan vs USA.

Yeah I saw that. Strange that they don't fit them in Japan. The Uk model is even right hand drive like the Japanese model, so there seems little point in not fitting them. Like you say, they might not be required, or be outlawed there.

I emailed iihs about doing crash testing for the Mazda 5. The answer I got was
"Thanks for contacting the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. We have not tested the Mazda 5 yet. We try to cover as much of the marketplace as we can, testing vehicles from a range of manufacturers and with high sales numbers. Unfortunately, we don’t release our testing schedules in advance. Please continue to monitor our website for updates."

I would like to see some rear-end crash data with occupants in the 3rd row. I have seen a few MZ5s that were rear-ended and it does not look too promising.

I think most countries don't do a full rear end crash test simply because the vast majority of rear Enders are very low speed and insignificant.

The majority of real nasty accidents are front, side or roll. Otherwise it would probably be part of the full tests.

The main concern for me is your head's proximatity to the rear glass. I think Vovlo have stated the minimum distance between your head and the rear glass is 1ft.

Extend the head rests fully and don't put anyone to tall back there.

Seems respectable to me. Just plow into someone and don't try to steer away to avoid small overlap :D

I would like to see some rear-end crash data with occupants in the 3rd row. I have seen a few MZ5s that were rear-ended and it does not look too promising.

That is the reason, when my mother and father in law come to visit, I put them in the 3rd row, while kids always get the 2nd row.

If they die--good riddance.

In response to fanbanlo and the SOL (small overlap) "poor" rating:

Basically every car that wasn't specifically designed with SOL in mind, does poorly on SOL. So basically every car that hasn't been redesigned significantly (like, platform-level redesign, not face-lift redesign) in the last 3-4 or so years since the SOL test was conceived and implemented will do poorly.

It is a very demanding test.

Source: work for an OEM currently working on items to improve SOL performance of our vehicles.

@sac02, even disregarding the new SOL test, the other areas are not rated well. Just look at the other cars in the same category, Mazda 5 is actually listed at the very bottom of the list and it just sucks for all mazda5 owners, myself included.

Is there a button to do a quick comparison to similar cars? Or do I have to look them up individually?

I'm curious what "class" the mz5 is being compared to - I would expect a $40k, 4600lb Sienna to be safer than a $17k, 3400lb mz5 for example.

Last edited:
Back