Is there a Mazda-specific diagnostic software?

sac02

:
2013 Mazda5 Sport 6MT
And if there is, can I get it?

I'm looking for a full featured Mazda-specific piece of software that would run off of a laptop, as opposed to a typical scan tool. I want the ability to log OBDII data.

For example, Toyota has Techstream which I'm very familiar with, BMWs I've used Carsoft and DIS (some); that's the type of thing I'm looking for. I'm not sure what exists or what it's called in the Mazda world.

Last edited:
I doubt there is an aftermarket software like that, Mazda uses Ford's IDS software but that is for dealers not individual consumers.

Check out the cobb AP. Tons of MS3 guys run them to tune and log. Pricey though

Cobb AP is for MS3 only, unfortunately. I wish it was an option b/c it does seem very versatile, well developed, well supported, and with a large user knowledge base.

I currently have a ScangaugeII installed in the car. It's neat, but I want to learn more about the engine parameters (the refresh rate is slow, so it's hard to see what's going on in real time during transient events), as well as be able to log data, in preparation for my turbo in the near future.

The cheap option on my list is a bluetooth OBDII interface (https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)) and the Torque app for Android ($5). It seems this option would do ~60% (?) of what I want, and for a total price of 30 bucks, I may just grab one and start poking around and logging stuff to see what's going on with the stock engine.

One option is ScanXL (or ScanXL Pro) for $90 (or $130), plus maybe the Mazda specific add-on ($75) if you want access to specific stuff like ABS ECUs, etc.

I was looking at MazdaEdit software:
http://www.epifansoft.com/mazdaEdit-versions-prices.html

The mazdaEdit software appears to be the most powerful and fully featured option without a doubt, but also most expensive.

Talking to Joe from Dynotronics, he says that buying a tune from him basically gets you a copy of mazdaEdit. My understanding of how he described it to me is that he basically uses mazdaEdit for his tuning, and when he sells the tune to a customer, the tune is installed using mazdaEdit software that is licensed to the customer with the purchase of the tune (Joe buys mazdaEdit licenses in bulk, he's not pirating the software). The version of mazdaEdit that comes with a tune is slightly different than the off-the-shelf version, as it is designed to "hide" some particular unique aspects of how Joe does his tuning trickery (understandable, as that's his trade secret that makes him money) but still has the ability to edit tables and all the data and logging capabilities of the stock software.

So at this point I'm looking to buy the Dynotronics tune sooner rather than later, since learning that buying a tune will also get me the editing software and ability to datalog. I may still buy the bluetooth OBDII interface and the Torque app, since I don't plan to have the laptop in the car 100% of the time. Having the BT adapter and the app on my phone would let me connect and read codes and/or log data whenever and wherever, and could be worth the $30.

Back