Where do y'all put your smart phones?

Hank3

Asian Persuasion <><
Contributor
:
2010 Mazda5 GT
So I joined the human race recently and got my first smart phone (Nexus 4). Prior to that, my smaller cell phones would fit perfectly in the driver's side cup holder along with my wallet. Now, the N4 takes up more the space in the cup holder and the wallet has to go in the din below my radio or in the passenger side cup holder if nobody else is in the car with me. There have been times on road trips where my wife and I use both cup holders for drinks (imagine that!) and my phone gets placed in the din and then my wallet elsewhere.

So I'm curious as to where you guys put your smart phones when you're driving your P5. Same as me? Or do you have a special mount that holds your smart phone? I don't think I'm that crazy about getting a windshield mount with suction cup, but that might be the route I have to go with.

Please pardon my super novice photo editing skillz, but I snapped a pic of my interior and outlined in white what I thought would be ideal placement for me as far as where my phone could go. Probably unrealistic, but thought I'd throw it out there :)

JVC.jpg

i have a galaxy s4 it mostly stays in my pocket, so i dont text, or talk and drive. if its out of my pocket its partially under my right leg these 2 places are where it spends about 85-90ish % of its time when im in my car. passenger seat, if im by myself (about 90% of time i drive i am by myself) or under seat where it fell out and i couldnt find it by just reaching down, lol

Last edited:
I've got a pioneer HU with a cable that runs up besides the center console to run pandora, so the phone is always plugged into that and sitting beneath the handbrake. It's not really a problem, since any calls or interaction with the phone show up on the car's screen.

mine stays in my pocket and i wont even answer the call when it comes up on the screen in the car, 95% of the time in alone in the car and would rather enjoy the quiet away from busy work and life then the phone which never stops. If i could remember to grab it every time i left I'd toss it into the back seat without issue.

mine stays in my pocket and i wont even answer the call when it comes up on the screen in the car, 95% of the time in alone in the car and would rather enjoy the quiet away from busy work and life then the phone which never stops. If i could remember to grab it every time i left I'd toss it into the back seat without issue.

amen to that!

Cup holder, I also try not to play on my phone while I drive and that's all that would happen if I had a dash mount like that.

I have a note2 and it goes under my e-brake handle. Bluetooth for everything though i miss the center console of my other car.

My S4 usually ends up on the console between the front seats. It fits perfectly under the parking brake lever and doesn't slide with the case I have.

I have a S3 and used to place it in the cupholder but the damn thing would flop all over the place while driving. So I picked this up at BestBuy https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) Works good, my only gripe is that the button to release the sides sticks from time to time but was a fraction of the cost of the Samsung vent mount and I didn't want a suction cup mount.

Or you could go this route http://www.crutchfield.com/p_042VSMG3/Pro-Fit-VSM-G3.html. Nice clean look if you don't mind spending the money.

And I don't text when driving but do answer calls using the bluetooth adapter connected to my head unit. Also comes in handy when I use the nav function of the phone when travelling.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Really appreciate it!

When my phone leaves my pocket it was under the ebrake, eve the short aux cables would reach. Wallet stays in my back pocket like 95% of normal people.

Of course with the mazda3's Bluetooth it never leaves my pocket for music or phone calls

My iPhone5 goes mostly in the single din pocket or on the passenger seat. Wallet always goes in that pocket under the fog switch. Fits perfectly in there like wallets were meant to go there lol

My iPhone5 goes mostly in the single din pocket or on the passenger seat. Wallet always goes in that pocket under the fog switch. Fits perfectly in there like wallets were meant to go there lol
Haha, I do the same thing. It really is the perfect wallet size.

lol +2, phone DIN pocket, wallet fog switch pocket.

Back