CX-5 Stuck in the Snow Adventure - Winter Driving in Colorado

maxwax

CX5 Road Tripper
:
2014 Sky Blue Touring AWD
I've been trying out my 2014 CX-5 2.5L AWD with Nokian Hakkapellita snow tires this winter and for the most part really happy with them.

Today I pushed this combination a little too far and thought it would be helpful to share.

In a somewhat remote part of Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado (USA), I found a nice one lane road that led to a trail head with about 8 cars parked while people were snowshoeing. The road had been plowed and packed and the CX-5 handled great. In a few other areas, I drove through 2-4 inches of fresh powder and the CX-5 did great. Really comfortable, gripped well, limited sliding while turning and accelerating on fresh snow.

With that comfort, I found a small parking lot for a picnic area that hadn't been plowed at all with lots of powder. I drove in about two feet and pulled out fine. Drove in about five feet (half the car's length or so) and pulled out fine. Then I decided to give it some power and go further. Once I got the rear wheels about five feet from the road, I had succeeded in packing down about a foot or so of snow under the CX-5.

Then I was classically stuck. Couldn't go forward, couldn't go back. Tried all the usual stuff, but all that wonderful ground clearance under the CX-5 was full of white snow, lightly packed down and holding me in place. So I tried digging the tires out, all they did was spin. Then I tried digging the out the snow from under the car using my foot, and got a lot of it out, but not enough.

A couple nice girls game buy and while I pushed, they tried to drive it out but no luck. Then ended up giving me a ride to a nearby town where I'd have cell phone coverage and I called for roadside assistance. Then I gave some bad directions and we finally made it to my car about an 90 minutes later. The tow truck was able to winch out the CX-5 without breaking anything -- very relieved!! -- and I was back in control.

I drove around the park road a bit and it was amazing how confident I felt behind the wheel of the CX-5 after just having gotten it completely stuck and unable to do anything. It felt great and on the ride home on windy canyons with wind whipping up powder snow, it was still great.

Here's what I learned (and the important part for many of you:)

* It's very easy, probably easier, to get into a situation like this than with a small car (like the ones I am used to from the past.) With them, I probably would have gotten the front end stuck, but less stuck than I did today. The CX-5 lets you get stuck more in cases like mine.

* The high ground clearance of the CX-5 let's you pack a lot of snow underneath it before you know its too late.

* Once it's there, AWD -- even with all four tires spinning -- and excellent snow tires won't do much because the snow is keeping the car raised and immobile. You just don't get enough traction.

* The CX-5 has a lot of torque that can get you through mud and snow, but without weight pushing the wheels down on whatever is underneath it, you're just going to get wheel spin.

* Even if the CX-5 had as much torque as a Jeep, the Jeep is twice as heavy which gives you more effective traction as that weight presses the tires down on the surface. So it's important to remember when going off road that the light weight which makes the CX-5 so fuel efficient can work against it for traction when you don't have ideal road conditions.

It was pretty scary to sit in the car and feel it being towed out. At first it didn't want to move, then it moved inch by inch until I was clear. Without a winch and a heavy truck, a snow shovel and some effort is the best way to go. I had been meaning to buy one and put it in the back and I should have done so before taking today's adventure.

For those of you who read my May 2013 review of the CX-5 after 30-days of owning it, you'll remember I described the CX-5 driving around town during the break in period as boring, like driving Grandma's Buick. Well, clearly I'm having a lot more fun with the CX-5 now. I'm purposely looking for situations like this because only by trying this and getting stuck am I really going to understand what this vehicle can do. I'd rather do it now rather than later when I'm in a more remote area and with less chance of recovery.

If anyone has more winter driving suggestions, please comment! Thanks

Hope this helps! Let me know if it does!

Compared to my previous Xtrail the CX-5 ground clearance is poor, so its no surprise that you got stuck, the CX-5 really shouldn't be used like a jeep etc which does have more ground clearance, still interesting review, as usual.

If anyone has more winter driving suggestions, please comment! Thanks
Yes...Don't do that again!! (naughty)

Just kidding man, thanks for sharing your adventure! It does help to know how far we can push the CX-5. Truthfully, that is something I would probably do as well to test the limits. Although, I probably (hopefully) wouldn't do it in a location so far from home/help.

Max, the same thing happened to me when I had my Tacoma. I am not sure what the Tacoma had for clearance, but it more than the CX-5. I was fortunate to have it happen in my own yard. I wonder what the best snow shovel to carry is. I am thinking one of the plastic "grain" shovels. - https://www.google.com/#q=grain+shovel

High centered on snow, packed snow, will get any vehicle. I stuck a 7,000+ pound Suburban like that. Had to winch it out. It made it about one car length up onto 2' of snow. If you are in that situation, you can try rocking the vehicle side to side. That sometimes will compress the snow enough to get traction to back out.

The best shovel is going to be two shovels. First is a folding army shovel that will lock at 90 degrees. If you are high centered, you need to remove the snow from under the car and a regular snow shovel won't fit. Second would be the snow shovel. You also will want a plastic tarp or sheet to lay on while you reach under the car to get the snow out. It is a lot of work to dig a car out like that because you spend most of your time laying down dragging snow out from under the car.

I've wondered just how much it would take to get this sucker stuck in snow - thanks for sharing.

I've wondered just how much it would take to get this sucker stuck in snow - thanks for sharing.

I would have gotten pictures, but the timing wasn't right. It was night, dark, cold, windy and snowing when we got it out and I didn't feel like taking the time. It's a shame because I think the pictures would have been very informative. Especially when I returned with the tow truck, I remember seeing it and thinking, what the hell? I should be able to just drive out of that. But all that snow hidden underneath is what keeps it locked in place.

High centered on snow, packed snow, will get any vehicle. I stuck a 7,000+ pound Suburban like that. Had to winch it out. It made it about one car length up onto 2' of snow. If you are in that situation, you can try rocking the vehicle side to side. That sometimes will compress the snow enough to get traction to back out.

The best shovel is going to be two shovels. First is a folding army shovel that will lock at 90 degrees. If you are high centered, you need to remove the snow from under the car and a regular snow shovel won't fit. Second would be the snow shovel. You also will want a plastic tarp or sheet to lay on while you reach under the car to get the snow out. It is a lot of work to dig a car out like that because you spend most of your time laying down dragging snow out from under the car.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm definitely getting some gear tomorrow. While it's not likely I'm to put myself in this position again, there are enough opportunities to accidentally do this in the mountains that I want to be ready for it.

Love the tarp idea! That's brilliant. Yesterday I was on my side, in jeans, kicking snow out from under the car. It's light Colorado powder so I can shake it off, but a small tarp would have been really nice.

I carry a portable avalanche shovel in my car during the winter (similar to the grain shovel above). It's all metal so won't break easily and has un-stuck many vehicles in it's life so far, including my previous which I got badly high centred like your situation.

I would have gotten pictures, but the timing wasn't right. It was night, dark, cold, windy and snowing when we got it out and I didn't feel like taking the time. It's a shame because I think the pictures would have been very informative. Especially when I returned with the tow truck, I remember seeing it and thinking, what the hell? I should be able to just drive out of that. But all that snow hidden underneath is what keeps it locked in place.

This concerns me a little b/c I take many trips to the ski slopes every season and like you, I enjoy testing the waters every now and then. So far so good, deepest I've been in was 12-14 inches, but that was backing out of a spot and out of the parking lot. Again, I appreciate you sharing the info!

+++ on being wary of treading on snow of unknown depth. Same principle applies for water.

When I saw your post and all the words, I was saying to myself, "oh no....please don't talk about your Honda Fit manual transmission again". Thank god this is all you wrote this time about your Fit "to get into a situation like this than with a small car (like the ones I am used to from the past)."

So you just wanted to test how far you can go into that picnic area?

When I saw your post and all the words, I was saying to myself, "oh no....please don't talk about your Honda Fit manual transmission again". Thank god this is all you wrote this time about your Fit "to get into a situation like this than with a small car (like the ones I am used to from the past)."

So you just wanted to test how far you can go into that picnic area?

I'm a Jeep Rubicon driver at heart. I want something that can go most places, get into trouble and can get pulled out with a winch. I like the idea of getting scrapes and scratches on the side and telling the stories of what happened and where.

But I don't have a Jeep. You might remember I had a Honda Fit. A manual Transmission Honda Fit. A Blue Honda Fit. It was 2007 Honda Fit. I really liked my HONDA FIT.

But now, like a lot of other Jeep-wannabe drivers, I have a CX-5 and I really like it. But to get to know what it can handle, you have to test it and fail sometimes.

Part of the reason I got stuck is I had watched a cool youtube video a day earlier with a Jeep (not a Honda Fit) plowing through very deep snow. My Sunday test wasn't as deep, but it was deep enough to tell me not to do that again.

Now it's a CX-5 (Not a Honda Fit, Btw) with a nice square-ended metal+fiberglass shovel in the back.

I carry a portable avalanche shovel in my car during the winter (similar to the grain shovel above). It's all metal so won't break easily and has un-stuck many vehicles in it's life so far, including my previous which I got badly high centred like your situation.

I'm pretty confident that with the new shovel I would have gotten out.

I would have used the camping stove in the back to make something hot to drink, taken my time, and dug as much as needed.

The takeway from this thread is that the CX-5 is a really good and moderately capable car for non-asphalt conditions, but if you're going to take chances with snow, you need to be ready to recover. Everything can get stuck and AWD + Cool Tires doesn't prevent that.

You might remember I had a Honda Fit. A manual Transmission Honda Fit. A Blue Honda Fit. It was 2007 Honda Fit. I really liked my HONDA FIT.

Me too. I probably should have kept it a bit longer, it had lots of life left.

I am looking to replace my 2012 Honda Fit with a 2015 CX-5 I don't think I will see snow like you have in Colorado. But even Subaru get stuck sometimes

Even without watching that video it looks like it doesn't have winter/snow tires on. I honestly don't know why someone would get a brand new vehicle and not spend just a little more on proper tires for winter.

My cardinal rule for any kind of off-road driving (and especially in snow) is this:

As soon as traction is lost so that it is impossible to maintain momentum, stop immediately, get out of the vehicle and survey the situation. Do not spin the wheels, do not rock the vehicle (yet), do not try to get unstuck. Get out of the vehicle. Look at the lay of the terrain under the vehicle. Often the wheels are situated such that two or more wheels must climb out of a depression to make progress. Use your shovel (for winter driving I only bring a metal mountaineering shovel) to dig out snow and ice in front of the blocked wheels. I dig right up to the tread of the tire, it is usually possible to dig such that the tire will not have to climb upward to get unstuck. Because the temptation to spin the tires was avoided to begin with, the snow under the tires will not be glazed from melting/spinning so you should just be able to drive out. If the snow is deep enough that the vehicle is high centered on the snowpack you might have a 15 minute digging job ahead of you. In any case, some well planned digging should have the vehicle mobile in short order. This is a good time to re-appraise the wisdom of continuing on the same path or finding a good place to turn around which is an entirely different topic but a skill that is just as important to have.

IMG_0386.JPG

The snow in the above picture was actually quite easy to drive on because there was no ice layer underneath but I still like to maintain forward momentum and find a small downhill to stop on. Sometimes the heat from a parked engine can melt snow (water acts as a lubricant) and make it difficult to get going again. Fresh snow hides whatever is underneath so it's impossible to tell when your traction will go from good to almost none (for example if there is a frozen mud puddle or seep from an adjacent hillside crossing the road).

In any case you always want to have winter camping equipment available (including the ability to make water from snow) for winter excursions.

Off roading in the snow requires good judgement and a keen eye for seeing subtle terrain changes. Small changes in the slope of the road need to be recognized and accounted for. In deep snow (or even on ice glazed surfaces) the capability of four wheeled vehicles is so greatly reduced even the best of them will make you realize a car or truck is not a snowmobile.

My cardinal rule for any kind of off-road driving (and especially in snow) is this:

[good stuff deleted]

In any case you always want to have winter camping equipment available (including the ability to make water from snow) for winter excursions.

Off roading in the snow requires good judgement and a keen eye for seeing subtle terrain changes. Small changes in the slope of the road need to be recognized and accounted for. In deep snow (or even on ice glazed surfaces) the capability of four wheeled vehicles is so greatly reduced even the best of them will make you realize a car or truck is not a snowmobile.

Thanks, Mike! That's good for me and everyone else to read.

I didn't mention in the original post that my adventure was *very slightly* upslope. Enough so that it would count. I like your idea that stopping on a downward slope -- even a slight one such as your photo -- could end up helping to get a little momentum and get going.

I've got camping gear in the car, too. If I think I'm going to a remote area, I'll pack more food. My focus is on staying safe through the night so I can hike out the next morning with visible light and rising (not falling) temperatures.

Cheers,

Back