Plasti-dipping your hood scoop......

Ronin82

:
2010 Mazdaspeed3
So I'm kinda a new member here and searched but didn't find anything on painting your hood scoop so with so plasti dip I thought Id give it a crack.....
Here she is with the red scoop All I need for tools was a 10mm socket, ratchet, flat head screwdriver, and some needle nose pliers

upon opening the hood I proceeded to just follow all the screws all the way around. As you can see the four in the front I already took off. once everything is unscrewed, theres 3 plastic tabs the are popped out with a flat head screw driver. once those are removed the plastic piece falls right out.

Once the plastic piece is dropped you can proceed to just unscrew the bolts that hold the actual scoop. The hardest part was probably the 3 plastic anchors that were holding it. Used some needle nose pliers to manipulate them loose

The scoop came right out and once thoroughly wiped,... was ready first coat

5th coat.

once dried, turned the scoop upside and painted the inner lip twice.

once dry,... decided to apply a small coat of Plasti-dip clear coat and set it on the hood to see what I was getting

I liked it,... but decided to go a step further an paint the inner plastic piece in red to give a 2 tone look. Still a little unsure but wife like it.

took about 4 cots to get an even red but once dried I reassembled and heres what I got.....

Over all,... this was pretty easy. Just take your time and let the Plasti-dip evenly dry

Looks pretty good but if I can give a word of advice for next time, just tape around what you are dipping so you don't have to take parts off your car. Plastidip is very easy to remove during and after dipping. And if you get a little over spray just wipe it off with a clean terry cloth or micro fiber towel.

Looks pretty good but if I can give a word of advice for next time, just tape around what you are dipping so you don't have to take parts off your car. Plastidip is very easy to remove during and after dipping. And if you get a little over spray just wipe it off with a clean terry cloth or micro fiber towel.
normally I would do it that way,... but upon removing the scoop and knowing what im doing now,... it's probably faster and easier to just unbolt the the scoop and paint and less time than taping

normally I would do it that way,... but upon removing the scoop and knowing what im doing now,... it's probably faster and easier to just unbolt the the scoop and paint and less time than taping

Back