PAC RP4-MZ11 Issues

bou1501

:
CX-5
Hello All,

I have a 2014 CX-5 GT with Bose kit but no Tech package. Last week I installed a great Kenwood DNN990HD unit but I have some issues and I would like to get your opinion on this.

1- I get a humming noise coming from the Bose Pre amp, the Future Shop technician tells me I need to do the wiring of the speakers to the Amp in order to make it disappear but I have found no Info on that anywhere and I don't know if he's right.

2- Technician seem to be unable to put the parking brake wire in function so I get a "No Parking" error every time I want to type a word in the unit.

As anyone had issue with the RP4-MZ11 or is the Technician not qualified ?

Thx
Sorry for my bad english writing

I also have a Kenwood (DDX-370) that I installed with the RP4-MZ11, and I was able to hook up the parking brake wire and also I have no hum. I don't have the exact details because it has been quite a few months since I put all this in, but I do recall there was a dark blue wire labeled "Pre-amp" or something similar that I did need to hook up to make the sound work. The wiring was all within the Kenwood, the RP4-MZ11, and Honda antenna adapter. There was no cutting into factory wires at all.

1- I get a humming noise coming from the Bose Pre amp, the Future Shop technician tells me I need to do the wiring of the speakers to the Amp in order to make it disappear but I have found no Info on that anywhere and I don't know if he's right.

2- Technician seem to be unable to put the parking brake wire in function so I get a "No Parking" error every time I want to type a word in the unit.

As anyone had issue with the RP4-MZ11 or is the Technician not qualified ?
Assuming you are giving us all the needed information, the tech isn't qualified.

1. It's possible he's grounding in the wrong place (in which case you might need to insert a ground loop isolater) or didn't do the amp hookup properly via the RP4 adapter. The RP4 is designed to work with the bose amp.

2. For a kenwood unit, if you want to completely bypass the parking brake limitations, you can just ground the brake wire from the kenwood unit.

Here's a link for the product page of the adapter (which can be used for hookup directions): http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=1142

garyd9, did you install a Kenwood unit in your 2014 GT w/Tech? If so, did you use the OEM camera?

Frist a big thx for your reply's.

I went today to FurtureShop because I had to install a new Rear camera since the OEM camera in the CX-5 is a 6V. So I bought a ken wood CMOS-210 and he installed it. I spoke to him about the PAC module and he tried to find the solution to both problems. He said that there was a connector for the parking brake but that dint seem to work. Either the unit is defective or like I said he doesn't know what he's doing. He still manage to fix the "no parking" error by bypassing the radio.

As for the Amp, he said that the connector doesn't seem to work, so he will install RCA connectors to go directly from the speakers to the Radio. Is that a good solution ? I really don't know, I just want it to work.

Should I go somewhere else ? Cost me pretty expensive since the installation and the camera installation cost me 350$.

What would you do if you were at my place ?

Thx

He is bypassing the Bose amp/preamp. I'm not familiar with the Bose system.
I'm a Kenwood guy too. I have installed a couple of Kenwoods previously. The latest is a DNX570 in my wife's CRV, which I have picked up broken from Ebay($160) and dropped it of at a Kenwood service place and they fixed it for $204.
I have almost picked up a broken screen 990HD, but eventually somebody else picked it up before me. I also have a 6990HD which works, but the DVD drive is broken, I'm thinking to replace the drive and install it in my car, if I can't pick up a 6.95" unit.

If the hum in the speakers is coming from the same place it did in a CX-9 I installed an Alpine into with the Centerpoint Bose system, there is an adjustable gain that is turned to +5 from the factory and needs to be on -5. It's what is called gain hiss...too much gain. Here is the instruction manual...though I do not know if the programming will work the same way on the CX-5 as it does on the CX-9. Worth a shot though. As for the brake, I believe that that may be in the harness, not coming from the box. You can pull the radio and tap the radio's brake wire straight to the wire at the harness or you could just ground it and see what happens.

Receive an email from AAMP Support:

Hello,

Sorry to hear of your trouble. There should not be any noise in the system with the RP4-MZ11. We have not had this issue ever so there must be something wrong in the installation. Possibly a bad ground. The Parking brake function would have to do with the radio itself. There is a parking brake wire on the module but the vehicle must be stopped and parking brake engaged in order for you to view these features on the radio. If you are trying to bypass this feature of the radio (which most people do) we would recommend doing a Google search on how it is done for your Kenwood radio. Again, this would fall on the installer not following through on their part. Please let us know if you need further help. Thank you.

For anybody who is curious I have a 2013 Cx5 GT non tech with bose that I recently installed a pioneer double din into. In my case I used the included rp4 harness which included built in rca wires. I was lead to believe that connecting the speaker wires (as you would with a normal head unit install) would result in poor sound output due to conflicting signals to/from the bose Amp. As for the back up cam, I used another forum post for info on how to create an adapter harness to utilize the factory camera and it works flawlessly. The only snag I encountered was where to source the 12v feed for the camera, which was solved quickly via a tap into the reverse light circuit. My rp4 module I have determined is defective due to my steering wheel controls not working at all. The settings are correct and it was installed as directed via the instructions. Nothing is hooked up incorrectly just a garbage module. Not sure if anybody else has had a similar problem.

Hello All,

I have a 2014 CX-5 GT ............................... the Technician not qualified ?

Thx
Sorry for my bad english writing

The technician is NOT qualified. Hums are almost always caused by low level input ground loops or maybe an ungrounded input. Think guitar amp with the guitar cable not fully inserted. Some are also caused by different ground potentials in AC power supplies and a few others may be AC on the power supply of a DC system like a car. However, these are normally described as a whine and it changes with engine RPM (changing the alternator RPM). NEVER are the speaker wires the problem.

I'm betting you have a poor input connection or to components that are not grounded to the same place.

Back