USA Mazda Diesel Engine Delayed Again

I'm thinking the diesel purchase price premium combined with technical issues has further delayed (or killed) the CX-5 diesel coming to US.

Plus VW fraud fiasco, putting the so-called advantages of diesels here and especially in Europe under considerable scrutiny finally.

^Yup. That's a fact. Consider the VW fraud a significant setback in the USDM for many years to come.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Diesel is messy. There's no way to make it cleaner without urea, and urea equipment is expensive which puts it out of reach of many vehicle market segments.

Diesel is messy. There's no way to make it cleaner without urea, and urea equipment is expensive which puts it out of reach of many vehicle market segments.

Edmunds review of '09 335d

The 335d costs $2,475 more than an identically equipped 335i,
It's not out of reach

This technology working in conjunction with a diesel particulate filter means the 335d's emissions are clean enough that it can be sold in all 50 states. The 6.1-gallon urea tank is simply refilled at the same intervals as a standard change of engine oil, so no special service is required. Urea refills are included in BMW's service program for four years or 50,000 miles. It's also impressive that BMW managed to jam this much storage volume into the 3 Series with no significant packaging compromises.

What were the other manufacturers doing??

Edmunds review of '09 335d

It's not out of reach

What were the other manufacturers doing??

A $2475 premium is not insignificant to most of mazda's market. Luxury brand buyers and commercial trucks are less sensitive to those numbers. But for mazda, the sales probably aren't high enough to justify it. VW fiasco is an excellent example of this dynamic in action.

The marketing decisions to sell diesel in some cars was probably made before the higher standards and higher cost for diesel happened. Diesel used to be cheaper than gas in the US and still is in many countries. Combine the higher cost for the engine and fuel and now VW, I would be shocked if anyone brings a new diesel to the US. Also Direct Injection gas engines, especially Mazda, have efficiencies closer to diesel now.

The marketing decisions to sell diesel in some cars was probably made before the higher standards and higher cost for diesel happened. Diesel used to be cheaper than gas in the US and still is in many countries. Combine the higher cost for the engine and fuel and now VW, I would be shocked if anyone brings a new diesel to the US. Also Direct Injection gas engines, especially Mazda, have efficiencies closer to diesel now.

Agreed, until the industry decided to price gouge the people that THOUGHT they were doing right by the environment or wanted the better gs mileage. smh

The 335d was $2475 more than a turbocharged gasoline engine, not a naturally aspirated gasoline engine. BMW can also include free maintenance because their profit margins are far higher than a non-luxury brand like Mazda.

Diesel fuel has gone up in price because of the demands for lower sulfur diesel, which requires more energy, and this more money, to refine.

Given the extra maintenance involved, the higher power train/emissions components costs, and relatively cheap fuel in the US, diesel engines are a tough sell to anyone who isn't a diesel enthusiast or who doesn't do an atypically high amount of highway miles. Mazda is a small company that can't amortize development costs through huge volumes like Toyota or through high margins like BMW. They most likely correctly think that their customers will not be inclined to spend thousands of dollars extra for a diesel engine over already very efficient gasoline engines.

Back