USA Mazda Diesel Engine Delayed Again

giegerichf

:
CX-5 GT
Just saw the below on the Mazda USA site

MAZDA TO DELAY SKYACTIV-D CLEAN DIESEL LAUNCH IN NORTH AMERICA

Jan 9, 2014

IRVINE, Calif., Jan. 9, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Mazda North American Operations today announced that the launch of its SKYACTIV-D clean diesel engine in North America is being further delayed from its Spring 2014 announced debut timing.

(Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20131205/MM28870LOGO)

While Mazda understands its SKYACTIV-D can meet emission regulation requirements without the use of a NOx after-treatment system, it was decided that further development is required to deliver the right balance between fuel economy and Mazda-appropriate driving performance.

Further information on the program, including a timeline of launch for North America, technical specifications and fuel economy will be available at a later date, closer to launch.

Mazda North American Operations is headquartered in Irvine, Calif., and oversees the sales, marketing, parts and customer service support of Mazda vehicles in the United States and Mexico through more than 700 dealers. Operations in Mexico are managed by Mazda Motor de Mexico in Mexico City.

SOURCE Mazda North American Operations

For further information: Jeremy Barnes, Mazda North American Operations, 714-296-1402 (mobile), Eric Booth, Mazda North American Operations, 949-727-6144

"further development is required to deliver the right balance between fuel economy and Mazda-appropriate driving performance."

What exactly does this mean?

man i hate to wait for this engine to come out, and waiting to see if they will make it available for the cx5.

Clean diesels have complexity and significant cost to achieve the low emissions.

I can't say that I've followed the "Engine oil rise" thread elsewhere on this forum very closely (http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123817637-Engine-Oil-Rise), but there's a reason it has 473 posts to date. There are clearly some issues with this engine that Mazda would naturally want to resolve before increasing its exposure in its largest market!

hi paris,

mine seems to have been fixed, I suspect the variability of the quality of fuel in the usa has something to do with it as well as well as a greater litigation risk if they foul up!

for the gas version we can't get gas less than 95 ron so our cars run 14:1 compression and get 165ps. Is there a difference in euro vs us diesel? To be fair I think that thread has settled down now. I've posted a few on there but my last few postings are purely to inform others how well the car is doing since mazda's fixes have been applied. (software, exhaust pressure sensors recall and dipstick replacement)

It seems these days that most products containing lots of electrics are released before being fully sorted and that a software upgrade after purchase is seen as acceptable :(

Good; I'm glad it's working out for you and, presumably, other diesel owners. Diesel has a great part to play in the US as elsewhere. The trick is to get it (more or less) right on release and not have any more black eyes like GM suffered with their trashy oil burners of the 1980s.

I just want to make it so I can have a loud ass twin turbo, and smoke blowing as I drive off. It would totally compli
tas6.gif
ment my vanity plate, and my hitch cover.

Glad I did not wait!

"further development is required to deliver the right balance between fuel economy and Mazda-appropriate driving performance."

Pure speculation: Maybe the expected EPA fuel economy they are getting is a little low compared to what they wanted it to be. More tweaks will be needed to get it right, while keeping the engine certifiable for US diesel.
Since we know this engine is plenty peppy overseas, I don't see any reason they'll need to increase power.

In terms of measured performance I don't expect the diesel to be much (if any) quicker than the 2.5L Skyactiv gasser (0-60 and 1/4 mile instrumented testing for example). Of course the diesel will feel much more effortless with all that torque at low revs, offset by the lower redline when using higher revs.

For US customers the 25% better fuel efficiency is nice even if diesel fuel costs 10% more than regular gasoline.

Since they obviously don't need to improve power, the fuel economy part of their statement is suspect.
Perhaps the estimated EPA fuel economy number they are getting is below that such that, in terms of marketing, positioning a more expensive 6 equipped with this engine could be difficult: it is marginally better in fuel economy and not exactly as fast as the V6 / Turbo of the competition. All speculation, of course.

Good a guess as any. I'm wondering what kind of purchase price premium they are considering for the diesel when it happens in US, it's not cheap in England or Australia.

I'm wondering more along the line of, did they wise up to the fact that they can't take a piece of the diesel market in the USDM, without offering something that others don't?

I wonder if they're attempting to just make the S-D their performance variant flagship, with all of the success surrounding the engine in GP and other racing.
Not necessarily in terms of a Mazdaspeed6/3, etc., but perhaps just offering a power premium with the S-D, which coincides with the retail cost premium.

Has the S-D actually had some success in GP and racing? I haven't followed it.

Regardless, marketing the S-D as performance CX-5 model would be an interesting approach if it actually tuned to have a large performance edge over the 2.5L gasser (so far current versions do not).

What exactly does this mean?

Wasn't the 0-60 time about 10.1 seconds? I think I read that somewhere regarding the overseas models. 0-60 in that time is not fast enough for many. Maybe some here are fine with it, but I would want 8.5 seconds or so, as I lose a lot of horsepower living at 6.600 feet above sea level.

There are 2 versions of Diesel engine available in some markets and the more powerful version is quicker than that^.

Look at the whirlpool forum if you want to compare figures.

Between the 2.5 petrol and 175ps diesel I believe the petrol is a tiny bit quicker to 60mph, but its low down torque that I need in a towcar that's important to me, in that respect the petrol isn't the best choice.

I would think that the petrol is a good choice for reliability, no turbo, no DPF filter.

I'm guessing that your right about the petrol engine being more reliable, but here in Belgium the fact remains that petrol is still more expensive then diesel and the diesel has a better fuel economy.
Official fuel prices Belgium
http://brandstofprijzen.vroom.be/index.php/officieleprijs

Also, i'm so used of having that massive torque of a diesel engine (lowdown)
A turbo charged petrol engine for the CX 5 would be interesting...

Back