CX-5 AWD snow performance

kimchei6

:
2013 cx-5 gt w/tech pkg
Had mine for almost two years now and it never amazes me how good this car is on the snow. I live in NYC and just went through a blizzard. I was able to dust off the snow on the windows and just power out of a parking spot without even an attempt to move the snow. Had about 10in of snow here. Saw many other cars stuck even SUVs... Gotta love this car. (bowdown)

yeah same here...about 13 inches just out of chicago and my gf car right next to mine is stuck....i threw it into reverse and boom im out. i love the awd

We've had ours for two weeks and no issues driving around town or in the rockies. I went minus 2 with wheel diameter for the winter set with Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 all around.

We've had ours for two weeks and no issues driving around town or in the rockies. I went minus 2 with wheel diameter for the winter set with Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 all around.

i still have the stock tires....only 600 miles on the car so far...ive had it about 2 months. im waiting till the tires go bad till i upgrade..

Stock tires here in Connecticut. My first awd vehicle and am very impressed by the CX5 handling these conditions. I had to make a trip to Rhode Island during the first big snow this season and was very surprised by its capabilities, even with stock tires.

yeah agreed, mine was sliding around until i got used to it. it is not as heavy as my awd cx7 was so it took some getting used to

Though I tried doing donuts in a private parking lot and was unsuccessful. I turned the traction control off and attempted in 2nd gear. My friend in his Cadillac CTS4 said he was unable to as well.

Are the stock tyres the 19" toyo summer tyres as per the UK?

i still have the stock tires....only 600 miles on the car so far...ive had it about 2 months. im waiting till the tires go bad till i upgrade..

If anyone is impressed with the 19 inch toyos in snow, they will be blown away with proper snow tires.

I drove with both in snow to compare, and nothing compares to winter tires, braking, traction is just sooo much better.

I agree that I am always impressed with the winter performance of this vehicle. I used the stock Toyos one season and now have Continental's Purecontact with eco plus technology. These new all seasons are great. Just got back from snowboarding in WV and we had no problems getting there and back. My buddy's Tacoma (2wd and didn't have enough weight in the rear) was horrible out there. His rear end was all over the place and he BARELY made it up some of those hills, even after adding weight to the rear. These were some of the most treacherous conditions I've driven on (grew up in Buffalo) and the CX-5 with all-seasons and AWD did outstanding. That said, it would have been much safer with proper snow tires, but I made sure not to push my luck...okay, maybe just a little bit (drive2)

Living here in Colorado, we haven't had a proper snow storm since I purchased my AWD Touring, but one of the very first things I did was to invest in a set of Yokohama Ice Guard winter tires.
The snow isn't the problem here, it's the other drivers.

You have a mixture of people who moved here from areas that never receive snow, and they simply do not know how to drive in snow, you have others who are driving around $85k Mercedes AMG cars with the stock summer tires in the middle of the storms, that simply don't understand why the can't get any traction (we know one of these people personally, and he's so thick headed, he won't accept the truth), and you have other people who are driving around on low quality tires, that may or may not be bald.

So, the snow tires are an extra insurance policy to help us from getting to know any of the above mentioned people, in a way we would rather not know them.
Heck, on Sunday night, we were coming back home, and on the main road, there were a couple cars that were just freshly in the ditch on the right side of the road, pointing the wrong direction.
As we were going down the same exact road they spun out on, we saw cars in the lanes next to (and at this point, well behind) us start sliding about, while we continued on without drama.

I always prefer not having anyone driving next to, or directly in front of me when driving in snow.
I've dodged way too many other people spinning out of control due to poor driving habits or tire choices to want to risk not having the best tires I can have on my car to avoid joining in on the fun.

BC.

Just got back from snowboarding in WV and we had no problems getting there and back. My buddy's Tacoma (2wd and didn't have enough weight in the rear) was horrible out there. His rear end was all over the place and he BARELY made it up some of those hills, even after adding weight to the rear. These were some of the most treacherous conditions I've driven on (grew up in Buffalo) and the CX-5 with all-seasons and AWD did outstanding. That said, it would have been much safer with proper snow tires, but I made sure not to push my luck...okay, maybe just a little bit (drive2)
While I'm not disputing the capabilities of the AWD CX-5, comparing it to rear wheel drive is an extremely unfair comparison. Nothing is worse than RWD in the snow.

I agree that I am always impressed with the winter performance of this vehicle. I used the stock Toyos one season and now have Continental's Purecontact with eco plus technology. These new all seasons are great. Just got back from snowboarding in WV and we had no problems getting there and back. My buddy's Tacoma (2wd and didn't have enough weight in the rear) was horrible out there. His rear end was all over the place and he BARELY made it up some of those hills, even after adding weight to the rear. These were some of the most treacherous conditions I've driven on (grew up in Buffalo) and the CX-5 with all-seasons and AWD did outstanding. That said, it would have been much safer with proper snow tires, but I made sure not to push my luck...okay, maybe just a little bit (drive2)

What size are those Continental tires that you have? I wanted to install them but couldn't seem to find the appropriate size.

I have a direct comparison experience. I drove the stock 19" Toyo's on our iced-over streets. I had definite problems with the ice. With the anti-lock braking engaged and the steering wheel turned, I still plowed straight ahead instead of turning. Scarey! This was on the way to my tire shop. At the tire shop, had 17" Blizzak DM-V1's installed on the OEM wheels I bought on Ebay. Drove home 1 hour later on the same roads. The ice handling difference was AMAZING! Purposely got the anti-lock to engage and turned the steering wheel....the vehicle turned as it should have and stopped in what appeared to be half the distance. So, while I was able to "go" OK on both ice and snow with the 19" Toyo's, the stopping was much, much better. And in the snow, while not a direct comparison since it was a different storm, I feel like the vehicle goes better in snow than it did before. Even today, with -15F temps and a ton of accidents in Minneapolis due to black ice, I didn't even once feel any slippage. I am a convert to using good winter tires even though you could get by with all season tires.

@TreyP - I agree, comparing it to RWD isn't fair, but it was the only non AWD/4WD vehicle with us. I did see a Chevy Maliby with very bald all seasons that was having a rough go, but it was doing slightly better than the truck. My old man had a 2WD Chevy Silverado when we lived in Buffalo - had to put 350lbs of sandbags in the back just to be a little safer.

@danieljw - the continentals I purchased are 235/55-18. I put them on some 18x8 aftermarket rims though. I love the tires - they perform great in the snow considering they're all seasons. Obviously snow tires would be way safer for stopping and turning, but I can't justify the snow tires in my D.C. climate. Maybe if I lived further north.

@minnesotaart - nice comparison to the snow tires. I've really only had one scary incident with all-season tires and that was while driving my wife's Elantra GT in the snow in PA. Again, on a snowboarding trip, we were approaching a stop sign at NO MORE than 15 MPH, it could have been even slower than that. I knew the conditions were slick, so I gave myself PLENTY of room as I am a more cautious driver in those conditions. I even began to wonder if I was being silly with the vast amount of room I left for us to brake, but sure enough, it was like sliding across ice on ice skates. ABS kicked in and I thought we were going to slam into the van ahead of us. I even had to pull on the e-brake a few times for added stopping power. We stopped a few feet short, luckily. It was a good lesson for my wife (and I) just how sketchy those conditions can be and how snow tires would have helped.

Last edited:
Back