steering wheel no longer straight.

:
2010 Mazda5 Touring
Got my car at 22k miles. As soon as I take it to NTB for alignment at 50k, the steering wheel is no longer straight and they've done it twice already. If I straighten the steering wheel, the car goes left. (pissed) Oh, they said the specs were off, pre-alignment.

Have them re-set the toe-in until they get it straight. Not rocket science! Maybe you got the new guy and he needs lots of practice. Don't let them BS you, yes the alignment is probably in specs, but the wheel should be straight. Did this for a living for many years and had to re-do several. Dave J

Alignment racks are rarely perfect. Dave is exactly right, toe adjustments are almost always required to make sure the car will track straight. Take it to someone that knows what they are doing.

I used to work at an alignment shop, and a really amateur mistake is to do an alignment without pulling the pins out of the slip plates. That'll preload the front end while they're adjusting toe, and cause the alignment to be off even if the machine says it's good.

Take it to another NTB store, with the original paperwork, and request that an ASE mechanic do the alignment. If they just had a young tech doing it, plenty amateur mistakes could explain what you're seeing (I know, I've made most of those amateur mistakes while learning the ropes.)

Thanks all! I think will take it to a different NTB shop and verify certification. Happy New year!

Back