Dashboard lights

patate

:
Mazda, Protege 1999, 5 Speed Manual, 1.6l
Hi everyone!
I bought my 99 Mazda protege 5 speed manual almost 4 years ago. Been very happy with it! I can not recall when exactly but about 2-3 years ago the lights on the dashboard went dimmer! The switch that's under the driver's left air vent that controls the dash lights stopped working as well and it doesn't show any sign no matter if you spin it up or down. The lights of the heat/cool control panel went dimmer too. Half of the positions of the wheel that controls the direction of the blow (up, down, up&down, defrost etc) doesn't show any light at night... From time to time though when i switch to different positions on where i want the air to blow the light will turn on here and brighten the control wheel normally and then when i switch again to a different position it will go off (not every time it turns on...randomly), so i'm assuming there's a loose bulb or wire.
Some time after this happened the mirrors stopped working too...Power mirrors. I've checked the fuses and they seem ok. Every time i pressed the mirror button to move them a shortcut would happen and the stereo would turn off...I never held the mirror button for too long cause i was afraid it would burn a fuse, so as soon as i released it the stereo would get power back again...strange to me :) Even though i do not know which fuse controls the mirrors all of them look ok... the dimmed lights have not bothered me much and i didn't bother to fix it but now i want to because i think this whole problem might be related...
P.S: The mirror button doesn't work at all now... it also does not create a shortcut anymore like it used to for a long while...

Any suggestions? thanks
D

Back