"Hellabroke" Protege 5 on a college Budget

Dominic Elias

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Im gonna be posting updates on my car, and I would appreciate any suggestions/ tips to make it look the best it can be.

photo_zpsd9274201.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Took out my EGR to clean it, took forever thanks to a stupid metal cover over it, and the rear engine mount, no room:'(

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
photo1.jpg

That little metal cover thing on it turned a quick job into a struggle for room to turn wrenches etc

photo1_zps75e69808.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
On a side note I seem to hear a sqeaking noise when I push the clutch in or when the engine jerks a little, only happens in 1st or 2nd gear. I know I need new engine mounts but is that the reason for the squeak?

Squeak could be from the throwout bearing inside the trans or from the pedal assembly under the dash.

1_zpsa5078351.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Passenger side wheel arch

2_zps918bef48.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Drivers side

3_zpsd00f7568.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Im gonna wash down those spots then apply some por-15, since it works better when applied directly onto rust.

Here's my car is she stands, looks stock because it is stock except for a Injen Cold Air Intake. My passenger side foglight broke bolt broke a while back the rest of the bolt is in the foglight I know a pita to remove now, and I haven't gotten around to it not to mention my driver side foglight glass is broken in a spot :(. Should I replace the foglights or just delete them both?

If you want to replace them, i've seen a few for sale in the FS section. I personally like the look of the P5's fogs and find them useful here in ND, but its a preference thing honestly.

Rust looks very minor, make sure to take care of that as it can get really bad very quickly! Rust proof it and get some corrosion free spray for the wheel arches

I would try and replace the fogs. They look better with fogs if you don't have an MSP lip. If nothing else, get something aftermarket. I might be picking up some LED fogs from Walmart for $35 so that they're actually useful instead of just for looks. And kudos on the lack of rust, especially since yours is silver!

Sounds like im gonna need to tighten the belt tensioner for the water pump/alternator belt, as it squeals upon start up for a bit as well as under acceleration sometimes. Just waiting till next year before I go nuts on mods.

I would try and replace the fogs. They look better with fogs if you don't have an MSP lip. If nothing else, get something aftermarket. I might be picking up some LED fogs from Walmart for $35 so that they're actually useful instead of just for looks. And kudos on the lack of rust, especially since yours is silver!

They just plug-n-play?

I would love some useful fogs, with SC roads they're more effective than the headlamps.

Crown Royal Shift boot mod, it took about 30 mins to do from start to finish.
1)Remove the center console to get the old boot off (2 screws at the back on either side, 2 screws in the front by the footwells on either side
2) Pull of the handbrake cover, and the cup holder part, they both just pop off (I Believe there is 2 more screws after you pop the handbrake cover I cant remember did it awhile ago)
3) Once the center console is off there are 4 screws holding the boot on 2 of them you can see the other 2 are underneath (that's why the whole console needs to come off)
4) Then cut the crown royal bag from the bottom and stretch and cut as needed till it fits over the bracket for the old boot
5) Make some cuts in the bag to secure the new boot (the cuts are the same as on the old boot)
6) Glue down any excess boot material, as this will probably lift as you shift
7) reassemble the boot and console and enjoy :)

They just plug-n-play?

I would love some useful fogs, with SC roads they're more effective than the headlamps.

I hope they're plug and play. It includes some wiring I believe, but they're about an inch or two smaller in diameter than the stock P5 fogs. So I might not be doing it. I couldn't find them online, but I'll try and get a pic sometime soon.

And Dom, where did you get your shift knob?

how much would a bearing cost? Im gonna change the mounts first, since they are shot

Mounts need to be replaced for sure, but they will not make noise aside from clunking. If you hear suspension clunks it is likely the sway bar bushings and end links. Throwout bearing is about $20-30 but it requires pulling the trans so it isn't worth doing on it's own until you replace the clutch.

Latest posts

Back