Replacing the head unit on a 2012 cx9 sport trim

mbciuso

Hi, I have a 2012 cx9 sport and would like to upgrade the head unit. I had the dealer install the Sirius sat radio when I purchased the car. I was wondering if the unit that comes with the higher trim level would work seamlessly in my car or if I have to upgrade to aftermarket. If anyone has done that, I'd appreciate your feedback on the experience and brand and model of radio you used.

Thanks

Gerard

I am in the same boat. I have a 2010 and the bose headunit with the smaller screen for backup camera. Will the navigation had unit plug in and work .... I do have sirius radio ... will I need additional gps antenna ?

Navigation is an add on separately from the radio. When you add it, they dont change your radio at all. Its just a little module that plugs in on the left side of the steering wheel. I added one to a friends Mazda for him and its actually VERY easy.

Navigation is an add on separately from the radio. When you add it, they dont change your radio at all. Its just a little module that plugs in on the left side of the steering wheel. I added one to a friends Mazda for him and its actually VERY easy.

Thanks for your reply. However, your explanation only applies to 2013+ cx-9s. 2012 and older cx9s had a totally different head unit for vehicles with nav, a different HU for tech package vehicles with backup camera and no navigation and yet a third HU for base w/o nav / camera.

Ah, Yes, my experience was with a 2013. I hadnt realized the older cars had a different set up. At least all you 2013+ guys have it insanely easy. lol

Hey xxx, do you know if the 2013 add-on nav was bought from a dealer or elsewhere? Any idea what they paid for it?

Hey xxx, do you know if the 2013 add-on nav was bought from a dealer or elsewhere? Any idea what they paid for it?

My friend purchased his kit off Ebay. It was an OEM kit though. Not sure if thats the cheapest route or not though. It was over $200 though.

Back