Can Mobil 1 synthetic gear lubricant ls 75w-140 be used in transfer case?

segio

:
2008 Mazda CX-9 Touring AWD
2008 CX-9 AWD. Can Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant LS 75w-140 be used as replacement fluid in the transfer case? Is the "LS" hurting anything?

From what I heard the transfer case is not serviceable in the cx-9. For my speed6 I use redline 75W-90 for both the PTO and rear diff.

You are correct. I read the same in 08 CX-9 shop manual. The manual even doesn't want you to inspect it, not mention replacing the fluid. But I have to believe that these "maintenance free" parts just mean that they do not need maintenance *within* the warranty. After that? well, it's your problem not theirs. Anyways, I also recall someone saying that the shop manual for newer CX-9 actually shows how to replace transfer case fluid. I will post it here if I can find it.

You are correct. I read the same in 08 CX-9 shop manual. The manual even doesn't want you to inspect it, not mention replacing the fluid. But I have to believe that these "maintenance free" parts just mean that they do not need maintenance *within* the warranty. After that? well, it's your problem not theirs. Anyways, I also recall someone saying that the shop manual for newer CX-9 actually shows how to replace transfer case fluid. I will post it here if I can find it.

You are correct about maintenance free within the warranty period. It is good practice to change diff fluid and transfer case fluid at least every 50K miles. I do it approximately every 30K miles and have been doing it with all my vehicles for about 30 years. I was a professional mechanic once upon a time and if you want your car to last, then you should change fluids regularly no matter what the manufacturer says. Most auto makers adopted these extended maintenance recommendations to help sell cars and avoid spending too much when they offered free maintenance as an incentive. Their policies have nothing to do with what is best for long term ownership.

I just purchased my CX-9 and have not looked into how to change transfer case fluid yet. I am interested in what you learn. If you are having trouble finding info, I will try to get mine on a lift and take pictures. There should be a drain plug and fill plug no matter what the manufacturer says.

I just purchased my CX-9 and have not looked into how to change transfer case fluid yet. I am interested in what you learn. If you are having trouble finding info, I will try to get mine on a lift and take pictures. There should be a drain plug and fill plug no matter what the manufacturer says.

Sounds good! Pls do take pic when you have a chance. I will take a closer look at the transfer case of my 08 CX-9 too when I jack it up for tire rotation soon. I heard that there was no drain plug in the 08 models, only a fill plug. So the only way to get the fluid out is to suck it out from the fill plug. But I am not sure if that is indeed the case.

I just looked at mine tonight, it's a 2008 and it has no drain plug but does have a fill plug. The fill plug is in real tight next too the exhaust. The manual specifies GL-5 75W-140, so I bought a quart but the fill capacity only calls for about 1/2 a quart.

Has anyone performed a siphon or been able to successfully suck out the fluid? Wondering what the best process is?

To continue your post :), were you be able to change the oil sucking it out? Another question what brand should I use? I had very good experience with Red line oil on my Subaru (had grinding transmission noises and the oil fixed it). Another words, is it safe to mix old oil left in transfer case with the new but different brand or it's better to buy Mazda's 75W140?

I just used this Mobile1 75W140 in my 2011 Mazda. This thread shows how to siphon the fluid out and get it changed. Its actually an easy process and only took me about 30 minutes to do it. I did my 2008 CX9 yesterday and today just finished my wife's 2011 CX9.

Update: I have checked both the 2008 and 2011 models we own, both are not leaking fluid from the TC any more so appears the air bleeders have recovered and are doing their jobs. Good news for me.

And yes I have made sure they are both topped off and fluid has not run out.

Update: My 2008 apparently spewed all its fluid out the breather and has grenaded the gears into oblivion. Great news. BTW, this is within 5k of the transfer fluid change. Why and how the breather is letting the fluid spew out of it is a mystery to me... seems this would be an easy fix that Mazda could do on recall and just fix them all before its a problem, but NO....

My wife bought a new 2017 Toyota Highlander today. Selling her 2011 while it still runs ASAP.

Mazda CX9... what a joke.

Last edited:
Back