Adding a 12 V power socket to center console

IAATM

:
2013 Mazda5 Sport
I have a 2013 Mazda5 Sport and would like to add a 12 volt power socket (cigarette lighter) to the rear of the center console, so that my kids in the second row can easily plug in their toys.

I noticed that there is a small blank panel on the back of the center console, just forward of the rear air vents, which you can pop off with a screwdriver. Through that hatch, you can look down into a large empty space, at the bottom of which is the parking brake hinge.

Do you think it would be easy to add a power socket there to that blank plate? Has anyone done this? Or seen it done?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Outstanding! Please post the part numbers, when you can, so that I can pre-order the same parts myself, and thereby be ready to roll as soon as your how-to video is posted!!

The leads on that particular unit dont appear to be long enough to get all the way up to the fuse box and the requisite/rated 10 amp service. While Im sure i could splice in some longer wires, are you aware of any power source in the area of the transmission into which i could tap this?

I did. Coincidentally, I used the socket in the link that oldpunk posted. Pretty straightforward job. All I did was splice into the wires of the stock 12v socket. I did have to lengthen the wires on the socket a bit since they are too short.
DSC03336_zps89b9eec2.jpg

DSC03335_zpsde00de4b.jpg

Back