Viper Smart start w/ Advanced key...anyone?

:
2019 cx-5 signature. 2019 cx-3 awd touring
Hello all,
I'm due to receive my sGT w/ tech package next month.
I plan on installing the viper smart start system and was wondering if anyone has
done this or plan on doing this? and what effect does it have on the advanced keyless system?

I heard that in some situations, the "smart key" function will not lock and unlock the door when you are near,
and will need to use the aftermarket remote (which defeats the purpose of the advanced key function)

any feedback will be great.
Thanks guys!

May I ask why you're even considering such a system when Mazda has a factory-designed remote start module that's designed to integrate with the smart key system? I bet the Viper setup require them to permanently implant one of the smart keys into the car somewhere just for remote start to work, basically defeating the whole system. They way they used to do these things was to just superglue a key in the dash so they could have the chip around to start the car. But now that chip also lets you unlock the doors. :)

I would ask them specifically if it's compatible with proximity keyfob systems and pushbutton-started cars.

npaladin2000,
with the mazda factory remote start module I would be needing another separate key fob to carry around.
The mazda remote start is limited by distance, not sure how far but i doubt it'll work when my car is parked more than 1 block away.
It also does not provide ignition confirmation or access to locate your car via gps incase you lend your car out to your kids or friends.
Not to mention there are no notifications sent to you if the alarm goes off.

btw there are bypass kits that allow for no soldering of the factory key
http://www.xpresskit.com/product.aspx?productid=0

Furthermore there are kits that work flawlessly with the factory smart key system. please see video below...i'm just trying to find out if this same solution will work for our mazda3's
and if anyone has done it yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjxD3Ix5TaI

Actually, yes, it does provide ignition confirmation. I have it. Also provides running status, and lets you manually turn the rear defroster on. Range will depend a lot on distance and obstructions (a "block" is not a universal constant). And since the only way someone else would drive my Mazda3 is over my dead, decaying, rotting corpse, the GPS stuff is useless to me. :)

I notice that bypass kit doesn't mention anything about whether the keyless entry still functions or not. Mazda's system has an anti-stupid system that prevents you from locking your "keys" (meaning the proximity fob) in the car. That's what I was talking about before. That bypass kit DOES require you to superglue one of your spare keys into the dash, so that's a problem, because it reads just like you leaving your keys in the car, meaning it won't lock.

Again, I would talk to Viper directly and ask them. But make sure you'll still be able to lock the car afterwards (meaning they aren't in any way leaving one of the proximity fobs in the car somewhere.) Even if they say it'll work somehow, be cautious, and make sure you and your installer have got everything clear ahead of time, including any caveats.

thanks for the info..
I didn't know that the mazda remote starter had a confirmation status. that's good to know :)
You are correct, the bypass kit above does not mention if it works in conjunction with the smart key.
The bypass kit posted above is to only demonstrate to you that no soldering is needed but you are correct that an extra key must be in the car somewhere (with this kit)
and i believe the "anti-stupid system" is the reason why the "aftermarket" keyfob is also required to lock and unlock the car's door (very inconvenient)

With that said However,
If you look at the second link above it shows how the viper kit incorporates very well with the smart key. (a different bypass kit was used)
So it is very possible to do this, and again wanted to know if anyone has gone this route.
Currently with my Hyundai, it's very convenient to remote start my car with my smart phone, especially since my car is a few blocks away.
I would hate to spend over $500 for a starter kit and only be limited to starting my car within visible range, but if this is the only solution for the smart key to work,
I might have to consider it.

A few questions regarding the mazda remote start.
Once your car is started and you approach your car, I'm guessing you can unlock the doors by pressing the button on the door handle correct?
and does the car's engine stop when you open the door? Do you have to press the start/stop button once you are in?

Although i would not let anyone drive my car as well, sometimes you have to valet your car, and it's good to know if your car exceeded a certain speed limit and it's location.
Also gives me a peace of mind.

thanks for the info..

A few questions regarding the mazda remote start.
Once your car is started and you approach your car, I'm guessing you can unlock the doors by pressing the button on the door handle correct?
and does the car's engine stop when you open the door? Do you have to press the start/stop button once you are in?

Although i would not let anyone drive my car as well, sometimes you have to valet your car, and it's good to know if your car exceeded a certain speed limit and it's location.
Also gives me a peace of mind.

Only once in my life have I ever been forced to valet my car, and it's not something I like to do, so I generally avoid it. Anyway, you're right on both of your questions. Once the car is started, it stays locked until you walk up and push the door button, and as soon as you open a door the engine stops. The hatch counts as a door, too, FYI, since it could give a fairly acrobatic person access to the driver's seat. For a little while I thought that was a bit annoying but that didn't last long.

Thanks again for the info.
It would've been great if the engine stayed on when a door opens,
Wonder why it was programmed this way? Probably a security measure?

Most likely, keep someone from opening the door and driving off. They'd have to go in through the window, which would be a lot less inconspicuous.

i'm currently working with a local shop to have the Viper "value" 2-way starter installed. There isn't a bypass available for this car yet, so it may be next fall. I'm waiting for the viper because I want the extended range and it doesn't automatically turn the car off when you get in.

i'm currently working with a local shop to have the Viper "value" 2-way starter installed. There isn't a bypass available for this car yet, so it may be next fall. I'm waiting for the viper because I want the extended range and it doesn't automatically turn the car off when you get in.

have you taken a look at the 2nd link i posted above?
I hope your install functions the same way after it is installed =)
The bypass kit you need to install is the dball / dball2 kit...looking at the firmware updates from xpresskit, you are right, they have not updated it with the new 2014 smart key for the Mazda3...but i'm guessing they should all work the same for all mazdas (hopefully)..
please keep us posted!
Also from what i read and researched, this bypass kit will also allow you to remote start your car with both the factory remote and the viper remote...(well at least it does for the infinitys)

We're looking at buying Mazda3 and if we do, we will be getting a Viper SmartStart. We have one in our main vehicle and we want to have both in the same
app. It also makes it easy for any of the driver's in the house to start either of the vehicles in the morning. I also refuse to carry a second key fob which I would have had to do in our main vehicle with any of the non-cellular systems out there, and sounds like I would with the Mazda as well.

This probably isn't helpful, but our main vehicle (Acura MDX) had an Acura remote start available. With it installed you carried a second key fob and if the vehicle was remote started, the engine shuts off when you open the door. With the Viper SmartStart, I can open the door with the key or my phone and the vehicle does not shut off. There is NOT a chip key stored anywhere in our vehicle either. Our installed used the iDatalink bypass module. You have to have the key in the ignition to move the vehicle out of park though, else it shuts off when your foot presses the brake. So no one can drive off with your vehicle if they break in.

We're looking at the GS model so I'm unsure of how it will work with the push button start. I assume the key fob needs to be in the vehicle for the vehicle to start with the button? If that's the case, I don't see why the vehicle can't remain running after you unlocked the door with your phone (assuming no technical issue prevents it).

Last edited:
I had the Mazda remote star installed last Friday and it has not worked well. Sporadic transmission unless I'm standing right next to the car and occassionally the fob will indicate ER (no start) but the car will actually start. I need to take it in and see if there is a hardware or installation problem, but so far, no good.

The fob isn't just additional, it's also BIG. A little big longer and thicker than the regular key.

Fortunately, this is the only complaint I have with my ten day-old sT. My first Mazda---love it!

Congrats on your delivery Molaoka...
I can't wait till i get my car delivered too.
Another member npaladin2000 had the factory remote start installed and seems to really like it.
Hope it all works out for you.

Back