2007~2015 CX-9 ODB Code P0022

:
2007 GT FWD, Bose/NAV
I have had the CEL come on and off a couple times. Using a reader I get a P0022 code. I am thinking this is the VVT SEL that advances timing i.e. the code results as retarded cam timing. Anyone know if this is the case and how hard is it to locate the VVT SEL and replace. Thanks in advance.

Nothing like answering your own posts. Turns out the Mazda service department came to the same conclusion as me. the car is throwing both P0020 and P0022. Both VVT sensors need to be replaced. Ordering two sensors, valve cover gaskets, and manifold gaskets just in case; with shipping and handling $152. Not bad seeing as it costs almost $400 just to order sensors at the dealer here.

So what is this? When the mechanic removes the connector, ODB code P0021 goes away. The code comes back when the connector is re-attached. I ordered cam sensor position indicators, but the mechanic tells me that this part looks more like a valve than a sensor???

Engine2.JPG

Wow, must be slow on the forum. I am having a great conversation with myself in this thread. Anyway here is what I have found out

DTC P0021: CMP timing over-advanced (LH)

DETECTION CONDITION
•The PCM monitors the variable valve timing position for an over-advanced camshaft timing. The test fails when the camshaft timing exceeds a maximum calibrated value or remains in an advanced position.

POSSIBLE CAUSE
•OCV (LH) malfunction
•Spool valve in OCV (LH) is stuck in advanced position
•Improper valve timing due to timing chain slippage

DTC P0022: CMP timing over-retarded (LH)

DETECTION CONDITION
•The PCM monitors the variable valve timing position for over-retarded camshaft timing. The test fails when the camshaft timing exceeds a maximum calibrated value or remains in a retarded position.

POSSIBLE CAUSE
•OCV (LH) malfunction
•Low engine oil pressure
•Spool valve in the OCV (LH) is stuck in retard position
•Improper valve timing due to timing chain slippage

Now, I have identified the thing in my attached picture. It is the oil control valve. I believe this is faulty and not an oil pressure or timing chain issue. Justification: When running diagnostic, Codes P0021/22 pop up. With engine running, disconnected lead from front OCV. Ran diag and code P0021 drops out. Replaced lead and ran diag, code P0021 pops back up. I have both front and back OCV sensors on order ($109 ea.). I plan on replacing them and will see if that works. Hypothesis, local oil shop is possibly putting something naughty in my car oil since this is the second oil issue I have had. Had to replace an oil pressure sensor last year one week after an oil change there. I plan on taking my car to the auto hobby shop and doing my own oil change next time.

i don't know that the shop could be adding anything to your oil....perhaps it's worth checking to be sure they are using the right weight. not sure if it would cause those issues though.

Alright. Got the OCVs and valve cover gaskets in. Got the valve covers off the engine and OCVs pulled. The replacement OCVs are slightly different than the originals in the fact that the tip of the valve has a portion cut out. Its the first time I have had a look at the engine and timing chain and they look great. I love the valve gaskets for the CX-9 as they fit like a glove in the head channels. Slapped everything back together and cleared the codes. The car drives like a pro again. I guess I forgot how nice it is to drive after humping along handicapped for two months. The OCVs are like $104 a piece BTW. Also of note, besides the P0021 and P0022 codes, I was getting a P0200 because the bad OCVs were retarding the timing, I think.

Dun dun dun!!!! P0022 is back. The cel came on again after being a month cel free. Ran the scan and guess what, yup its back. Since I have replaced the front OCV twice and the rear once, I am pretty sure that is not the issue. So this leaves two more possibilities. A worn timing chain, or low oil pressure. Now since I had the valve covers off last time and the chain/gear looked good, I am going to say that this is an oil pressure issue. Low oil pressure would explain why the OCV is not oppening enough causing an over-retarding of the valves. So what now? How do I measure oil pressure and might I need to switch to a different weight of oil. I am thinking of one of those iphone ready OBD II plugins, maybe that will give me realtime data on oil pressure? Thoughts?

that might be worth a shot, although i'd really be surprised if your car with that few miles had oil pressure problems...

To verify the oil pressure you would remove the oil pressure sender (it is above and to the passenger side of the oil filter on the 2012s) and install a known good oil pressure gauge. Start the engine and warm it up to normal temperature. The pressure should be 45-90 psi at 2,000 rpm. Hope this works out for you.

I am loving this tread. I am having the same DTC but with an annoying tapping sound on the passenger side of the engine. please can this be from OCV too? Iam thinking about getting the car to the shop. But I need some direction. Can anyone help pls.

Digging up this thread. I was originally going through this engine issue and working with Italian mechanics while residing abroad in Italy for four years. I moved back to the US and just ignored the CEL. I even considered just putting a piece of black tape over it. After living with the CEL on for nine years, I started to have engine hesitation issues. Since I was on the original coils I decided to buy all new ones, all new spark plugs (Changed 50K miles ago), valve cover and intake air plenum gasket sets, aaaaaaand two new OCVs. I paid a shop to replace everything, because I am too busy, read lazy.

The CEL has cleared, hesitation is gone, engine power is back (snappier), and fuel mileage is back up. Let's hope this continues. 2007 CX-9 GT with 198K miles and still chugging away! Been through 3 sets of rotors (Originals were garbage) and 5 sets of tires (Originals were also garbage).

I have never owned a car for this long and I can honestly say, I still love to drive it. Zoom zoom!

Back