Civic type R

Just some pics of the new wheel set up.

DSC_0169.jpg

DSC_0177.jpg

DSC_0182.jpg

Those new RPF1's are NICE. The higher offset I ran on my old subarus didn't look nearly as good. I'm amazed the 195 rs3s fit so well, I would've guess they were 205's from the looks of it.

Thanks guys. The fenders are not rolled.
No scrubbing as of yet. I did a mountain run and did not hear anything but I will keep trying over different roads to see if there is any. Hopefully there will be none.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Minor update, Went for another mountain run with the new wheels.
DSC_0220.jpg

DSC_0219.jpg

DSC_0211.jpg

DSC_0209.jpg

DSC_0207.jpg

DSC_0227.jpg

Also decided to finally putting in my corksport pads which i have had sitting around for almost a year. I hit the disc with 100grit sandpaper to rough it up a bit also to make sure it beds in.
DSC_0229.jpg

My standard pads had taken a beating this past year, with many track days and losing most of their feel. They still stopped pretty strong and would recommend them for almost everything.

Will be using the corksport pads until i get race pads, From the bed in they seem good but did not take them for a test. Will see how they go

I hope you like those pads. I'm going to be taking mine off, I just can't get over the spongy pedal feel.

I had cooked the standard pads and they were super spongee and would have no feel. I will test these out a bit more over the weekend

So it is update time.
Decided i was sick of bleeding brakes and my clutch after every track day so decided to focus on hill climbs and autoX. I entered into Haunted Hills hillclimb two weekends in a row using the same track configuration of clockwise ring. (There is 7 different layouts of the track apparently)
The first week was with a local club to the area and they are well set up with classes and timing. I was put into improved production under 1600cc, needless to say i lost to my friend in his Civic VTI, i was not even close with my best of the day being a 64.9 which i was super happy with. The class time was 59.9 which needless to say requires me to really get my act together. here are some pics from the day.
DSC_0343_1.jpg

DSC_0342_1.jpg

DSC_0341_1.jpg

DSC_0340.jpg

Second attempt I was in open two wheel drive class which put me against skylines silvias and BMWs and 86s so i knew i had no chance
My goal for this day was to get my time from the previous week down into the 64 second range a bit more and be happy and head home. First run of the day i did a 63.5, which when showed u on the timing screen my jaw dropped. I then packed up and went home

Just kidding i stayed the full day, i was still really unsure of the car as the rear end would come loose in a switch back of corners down a hill which was very nerve racking to say the least. I slowly got my act a bit better and ended the day on a 63.09, with much more in it for me to improve, the first section downhill is a real test of nerves and i loose a lot of time here. Maybe i will one day catch up to my friend in the CIvic VTI
IMG-20151005-WA0006.jpg

11222279_1036170323070781_5346563446254245146_o.jpg

12055281_10153777509555809_1728944133_o.jpg

12094936_1036069109747569_6927594339916768455_o.jpg

12068826_940667899327176_1254762983236069732_o.jpg

IMG-20151004-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20151005-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20151006-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20151006-WA0000.jpg

Review of the corksport pads. Well i did a monster of a mountain run with them and noticed that the first use of the brakes when cold is super spongy and would be crap at giving feel or slowing down the car. The second attempt would be much different with instant bite and stopping power that was very impressive. I did push them to fade but they came back and did the no bite and soft pedal when cold but bite hard when warm. They make no noise and similar dust to the standard pads.

Got some small updates coming over the next few weeks will keep updated

Last edited:
I can definately sympathize about getting tired of the track day maintenance, I miss my old old auto-x days. Sounds like the CS pads will work well for you. For some reason mine did not seem to get better when warmed up. The car looks awesome with those new wheels!

Thank you. The wheels have gotten a lot of comments :)
The pads are okay. The most annoying but is that I don't get to warm them up most of the time at hill climbs so I loose time.

Well i have not done much to he car lately besides a few small events over the last few months. Back in November i went to my third Porsche Forum Australia autoX and since i was doing this for the first time with the new wheel set up and pads, did not know what settings to run on the shocks, so i ran the whole day on the same set up which i used at the last hillclimb, which worked okay but since further testing, I realized it is not ideal for those types of events.
Essentially i stiffened up the rear which in my car promotes more under steer. Also the CS pads which do not work for me in the cold, did just that and did not really bite at all when in use at this event. I was okay with it at first but it is not starting to get on my nerves until they are warmed up.
I was doing quite well at this event and matched the fastest guy on some of the tracks in his 968 CS thingy. (Read arch Nemesis) He has beaten me everytime i have come to these events and i was aiming at him on this day. I dont know how close i got because there we had to call an ambulance for someone and i did not feel like participating for the rest of the day after that.
DSC_0364_1.jpg

DSC_0365_1.jpg

DSC_0367.jpg

DSC_0371.jpg

DSC_0369.jpg

I also did a autox/hillclimb event with Skylines Australia Victoria which is something i have wanted to do for the past four years but never got around to it. I was super nervous/excited as i had no idea how large the place was and because i brought a Mazda 2 against very powerfull cars
First session on the skid pan, (again i had used the same suspension set up from the hillclimb and wow it was understeer city).
The skid pan was super slippery and i had never driven on such a slippery surface where the front just washed out so much. it caught me out and i got a wrong direction to add to my woes. So I softened the rear shocks by almost half and went out for a second run, BAM car was rotating and turning so much better, so took out one more click and kept it set at that for the rest of the day.
I also decided to try my new extended shift lever, wow that turned out to be a flop, it was so long that the shifts became like butter but also made missing gears so much easier that i would go into fifth gear thinking it was third, did it three times and then changed back to stock.
DSC_0389.jpg

With cold CS pads, i had so much trouble stopping i was hitting ABS so easily and having trouble stopping quickly. There was no chance to really warm them up so i had to just go with the stomp the brakes and hope i dont overshoot method. I will try the pads at a track day and see if they are better suited to that.

So in the afternoon we had head to head battles, this was by far the most fun thing i have had the pleasure of participating at any event i have done. Basically two cars run the same course side by side and the winner finishes first with no penalties. Being in the Mazda 2 i did not get much attention for the day, We did practice runs and i managed to beat a R33 Gt-R and a Civic, people started coming up to me to talk about the car. Sadly i lost in the semi finals by some small margin as the other guy also missed the braking marker and hit a cone (Same as me) but stopped that tiny bit faster than me. I was aiming to be KING!!! hahahahah. I did not take any pics of this event at all, so here is someone elses video so you get the idea of what it was
I came fourth overall which i was very happy with, but had stuffed up badly on two of the runs, which really knocked me down the order. Here are the results if anyone cares to look
http://www.sauvic.com.au/download/deca/SAUVICMotorkhanaResults20151212.jpg
http://www.sauvic.com.au/download/deca/SAUVICMotorkhanaResults20151212.xlsx

and a video to explains what i am talking about with battles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAd_fIlsm4c&index=14&list=PLnOlHZ05GKk2uZo0_mfrPt4rUaFGT9eu6

So future plans?????? I got on a group buy with Dynotronics, so i am waiting for it to arrive to start tuning in Feb or March and in the next few days i will shorten my rear shocks about 1 cm or so to get rid of this little gap between the adjuster and the seat at full droop.
DSC_0386.jpg

DSC_0387.jpg

Thanks for reading, sorry for lack of pics

Last edited:
Well I thought I would add the suspension update on to my build thread just due to it leading on to others things.
Firstly I would like to say a big thank you to Zach from DDMworks for helping answer my questions regarding the topic and I understand I am a bit noob at this and sorry for all the questions.
For anyone just tuning in, I am running Fortune Auto Coil overs that I have been running for the last year and half. I have been finding them pretty unsuitable for long drives due to the harshness over large bumps and undulations in the road. I am talking about throwing driver and passengers around sort of thing and having to run on full soft, all day every day. On the track though they have been pretty much faultless.
I am running 8K fronts and 6K rears if anyone is interested
With the advice of Zach I was to measure the suspension at full droop and also while compressed. These two measurements would then be subtracted to create the shock travel area. From this total take away the size of the bump stop, and you have your total amount.
This amount should then be roughly halved for both droop and compression, so say it was 8cm, you should try to have 4cm of droop and 4cm of compression.
I adjusted the rear and had instant improvement in ride quality, the fronts on the other hand have been an up and down struggle for me. (Again sorry to Zach for getting soo many messages from me hahahah)
When first attempting to change the front settings, I got carried away and did not take the correct measurements. I raised the lower springs perch up roughly 1.5cm and the base height adjuster down to try balance out the ride height, and noticed that the car was immediately better over small continuous bumps on the road, but gained a bit of wheel spin and tiny bit of wheel hop around corners at full throttle.
So after a week I decided to take the correct measurements and from the calculations had roughly 1.5cm of droop compared to 8cm of compression. So I went on to adjust the lower spring perch up some more to balance it out and I was getting close to the mark and the spring perch became super stiff to turn and started making binding noises. Not knowing what it was, I stopped thinking I was braking something. ( Could have been the spring?)
Took it for a drive and did notice it was better over road undulations but was terrible over speed bumps. I would get an explosive downward force and loud clunk from the suspension after passing the peak of the bump. It was funny but I thought s*** was breaking, I was also getting a lot more wheel spin around corners and felt like the inside tire was lifting off the ground, causing the spin.
So I decided to remove the sway bar links and try give it a run. Immediately the explosion over bumps was gone and it had much reduced wheel spin and nearly no lifting of the inside wheel. I was also three wheeling around round abouts, with weight transferring to the front loaded wheel.
I was thinking that maybe by moving the spring perch that I placed more tension onto the sway bar causing it to behave that way. I was considering removing it all together to see if I like it, but placed it back on due to local laws.
I did not mind how the car handled without the front sway bar, but this is all new territory for me and my test run was on public roads which did mean caution was taken, so I cannot test it out fully. I am finding that the changes are making small improvements in some areas, but cause other issues to arise.
So we are up to date with where I currently am. I am super confused as to what step to take now, as I think removing the sway bar that was factory fitment maybe illegal here. (Yes strict rules) and I was hoping to have my set up ready for a track day and autox weekend I got coming up.
I also got some longarce toe plates to adjust stuff at home. That was fun converting imperial to metric. I had trouble loosening the bolt holding the tie rod in place as I needed another 21mm spanner to hold the rod and loosen the nut at the same time, so had to keep it as is. Which was about .3mm out from back to front. I don’t know how you people do alignments on the ground. I could barely reach anything without contorting uncomfortably.

Anyway here are some random pics from the last few months
DSC_0471.jpg

Here is the front coil over which still looks pretty much brand new as i have been running coil over bags since they were installed. I cannot recommend these enough to protect the coilovers. Basically neoprene with Velcro and zip ties
DSC_0448_1.jpg

Put the Team Dynamics back on and have been driving on them for ages now
DSC_0405.jpg

DSC_0398.jpg

Random pic i liked

Thanks for reading sorry for the long essay

As a small update. I already sent him a PM that raising the adjuster for the spring on his last adjustment was the wrong way from where he wanted to go. to help even out his shock travel.

Zach

Sorry for no posts

Thanks again to Zach for all the help he gave me in my noob learning questions.

I have not been doing much with the car besides the work and home run.

Back in May i did a autoX day and a track day in one weekend as they were closely based.

The Autox here is not really developed into classes and is basically a battle ground where it is fastest wins the day. I was a against a field with much more power that the mighty Maz, and at the end of the day got a lot of respect and people coming up to talk about what the car was running for set up.

I started on the back track which had two straights which were pretty much power sections and felt i did okay but knew i would not be making great times. We then moved onto the concrete pan and started my attempted climb up the ladder.

First run. The marshals gave me a look of wtf and why bother with the Mazda 2........Bam got the fastest time on the first map, beating the Supercharged Lotus Elise which was nice. They ran up to me and told me i had the fastest time, which annoyed me because now i knew i would stuff up the second run........Which i did, no cones were hit but had to do a U turn after overspeeding into a turn with one of the Marshalls riding in the car.

Ended the day with 11th which was annoying as the wrong direction lost me a few places in to the top 10. here are the results if anyone cares to read

http://www.sauvic.com.au/download/deca/SAUVICMotorkhanaResults20160514.xlsx
aad13457b44708

Here are some pics, i did not take many for some reason the whole weekend, apologies for the lack of photo skills
DSC_0491.jpg

DSC_0492.jpg

DSC_0479.jpg

DSC_0490.jpg

DSC_0484.jpg

DSC_0485.jpg

Picture of the straight on the back track
13243959_1025357800847121_1789078404188868685_o.jpg

At the end of the day was so wrapped with the event i was not really feeling like doing the track day the next day, but being a trooper i showed up and did quite poorly to prove i point hahahahha.

I did not match my time from last year and felt my driving was really sloppy and i lost interest after the second session and went home early as i was getting slower as the day went on. I realized i need to work on my braking and turn in and general driving as i always feel like a enter the corner way too slowly for what the car can do and due to the low entry speed, accelerate and stuff up the exit.
Ohh well gives me things to think about and try new techniques

Only pic i got from the track was this one
13217569_548031398701108_5040851256525613312_o.jpg

Things coming up...
Having a few niggles getting it connected correctly but sure it will work soon enough
DSC_0651.jpg

Car looks great!

Fwiw when you had the "downward force" over the crest of a speed bump, it sounds like too much rebound. This is exactly what Konis adjusted all the way up feel like. Going over a bump with both wheels will not cause any sway bar action. Unless it's binding something awful.

I sort of made a error while adjusting the shocks as Zach pointed out to me. I adjusted them again and it got better but have came to the conclusion i don't want it to be so stiffly sprung. I am talking to Fortune Auto about it and will see what they say as it is s*** bumpy on rough roads and I do mean s***. I let a friend drive it in a mountain road and they commented on how it was unnerving while cornering due to being so stiff. I was on one of the softest settings also which kinda made me realise how bouncy it was

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

IMG_20161211_172651.jpg
attachment.php

IMG_20161211_172644.jpg
attachment.php

The dust Boots have rotted away and needed replacing so I am running standard springs and shocks in the rear for the moment.

Back