USB Iphone charger not working in CX-5 but works in every other vehicle.

disco672

:
2014 CX-5 GT w/technology package
Anyone run up against this one? I've tried two different USB iphone chargers and they work in other vehicles but not in my CX-5. Yet another annoying USB issue with this vehicle!(notcool)

I have no problems with my iphone cord charging my iphone. Occasionally I will have to unplug it from the car for the radio to read it though.

I have an iPhone 5 and both my original cable and the Belkin coil I bought work perfectly. I have used both a 12V lighter port adapter and the USB in the armrest, both had no issues. For some reason the armrest port does like to try and play my music over bluetooth whenever I'm on a call though - a very weird bug.

Its the power outlet with a 12v to usb adapter it won't work for me. The USB port does work to charge my iphone 5s but stinks I can't listen to music on a usb stick while phone is charging. And yes 12v the outlets work fine

Its the power outlet with a 12v to usb adapter it won't work for me. The USB port does work to charge my iphone 5s but stinks I can't listen to music on a usb stick while phone is charging. And yes 12v the outlets work fine

First a dumb question, but are you sure it's not charging? If you plug it in it doesn't chime or show the battery display icon?

Second dumb question, is the car turned on when you're attempting this?

Finally, is the phone doing anything while plugged in such as bluetooth or GPS navigating? I have found on my phone if I use my GPS app it won't charge. It also won't lose charge, but it seems that it can only draw so much current. The phone gets pretty warm also, so it might actually be that it won't charge if the phone is too hot to save the life of the battery.

If the outlet works, by process of elimination its either the charger, the cord or the phone is doing something where it won't charge.

There is no such trouble to me. So I don't need to think more about USB charger not work. The habit to me about iPhone charging is to connect with power inverter when travelling outside. 200 watt power inverter from bestek is my first choice. Now I have acquired how to connect this charger with car cigarette lighter charger outlet to charge laptop, iPhone and shaver in car. Maybe you can buy a cheaper one on Bestek Amazon store now. Since there may have a discount on Amazon Prime day. Wish this point is useful to you. Best regards.

So you have a 12v adapter that wont work in this car and you started a thread about USB being broken? Am I reading that right?

Solution, buy a new 12v adapter.

According to the owner's manual the USB ports will only source up to 1 amp. In most cases this isn't enough to charge a phone properly.

Your likely issue is that Mazda 12V outlets are slightly deeper that most vehicles. If you have a low profile charger, or charger with a lip that prevents it from going in too far, I would say this is definitely your issue.

I have a 2014 CX-5 GT and bought an Aukey low profile dual USB charger and this was the exact issue.

I measured the output of the USB ports using a voltimeter in my 2017 CX-5 Touring. Here's what I got:

USB adapter in 12V cigarette lighter port (dashboard): 5.10V, 1.01A
USB ports in center console: 4.85V, 1.02A

iPhones don't charge up from the center console USB ports for me either. The problem appears to be low USB voltage. Hence, I'm using the USB adapter.

Is the low voltage issue something my dealer should fix?

Last edited:
I measured the output of the USB ports using a voltimeter in my 2017 CX-5 Touring. Here's what I got:

iPhones don't charge up from the center console USB ports for me either. The problem appears to be low USB voltage. Hence, I'm using the USB adapter.

How did you measure the current draw?

4.85 is in spec (5V +/- 0.25, hubs can go down to -0.6)

It should charge with the screen off. Stop any power hungry apps like GPS. The 1 amp is because that's spec for USB 2.0 - use a charger that does 2 amps or more.

Last edited:
First a dumb question, but are you sure it's not charging? If you plug it in it doesn't chime or show the battery display icon?

Second dumb question, is the car turned on when you're attempting this?

The USB ports in the armrest console won't charge my iPhone either on my 2017 CX-5. At first, I thought it was my cable so I plugged the cable into a USB cigarette adapter and plugged it in to the car's cigarette outlet. The phone chimed and started charging right away. Switched it back to the USB outlet and no dice. Annoying indeed since I didn't want to fumble around with cigarette adapters. I wanted to just keep a USB cable plugged into the USB outlets in the armrest and pull out the cable for charging when needed.

Back