Engine suddenly stalls

Prajoga

:
Mazda CX5, 2014
I am a new member to this forum and I am not wure whether the same issue has been discussed (I could not find the exact issue). I just bought a new CX5 GT and now the mileage is only 400 miles. During these mileage I experienced 4 times already a situation where the engine all of the sudden stalls (engine top with engine indicator on). All the incident happened when I drove slowly (bad traffic) with I-stop on. Two incident were in the curb when I have to turn and push the brake. The engine stalled when I want to accelerate by pushing the pedal. Two incident were in the straight road when I have to slow the car (5-10 Km/hr) and the engine stopped when the accelerator were pushed. I have reported to the dealer and the said they do not have the situation before. I just noticed today in my last incident, the I-stop did not work since the last engine starts (I did not switch it off). I want to share it if there is a similar situation happened to help the local dealer fix it. Sorry for the long explanation.

Sorry, I should inform that I have to stop, switch to Park and restart the engine. I can safely drove home but the similar situation repeated in the next driving occasion. So it was not a continuous incidents.

Video tape it while you drive, then go to the dealer and show it to them, then they can't say it didn't happen, tell them to drive the car all day for a week if they have to, be firm about it, it's their job to fix problems on new cars.

Video tape it while you drive, then go to the dealer and show it to them, then they can't say it didn't happen, tell them to drive the car all day for a week if they have to, be firm about it, it's their job to fix problems on new cars.

Went to dealer this morning. They check the engine with standard procedure. Disconnect the battery and did diagnostic test. They said they have reset the PCM (I did not know what they did) and did test drive. Nothing happened during test drive..normal running> I noticed that now the i-stop indicator is on (green). It was intermittently on and off when I drove yesterday (no indicator). Hopefully the problems solved. One thing that puzzled me during the incident was the car keeps rolling even though the engine stopped and the engine light was on (still on gear D). I have to slowly stopped and switch to P to enable restarting the engine. Is it a safety precaution or??? I can imagined what was going to happen if the car completely stopped.

Went to dealer this morning. They check the engine with standard procedure. Disconnect the battery and did diagnostic test. They said they have reset the PCM (I did not know what they did) and did test drive. Nothing happened during test drive..normal running> I noticed that now the i-stop indicator is on (green). It was intermittently on and off when I drove yesterday (no indicator). Hopefully the problems solved. One thing that puzzled me during the incident was the car keeps rolling even though the engine stopped and the engine light was on (still on gear D). I have to slowly stopped and switch to P to enable restarting the engine. Is it a safety precaution or??? I can imagined what was going to happen if the car completely stopped.

IT HAPPENED AGAIN !!!!
This morning, after about 20 minutes drive from home, I-stop mode was on, I have to overtake a very slow moving (another) CX5 car in a speed bump. It was not a fast dive. All of the sudden I have lost power and the same situation happened. the car move slowly and I have to stop. I managed to take the picture of the indicator lights. Engine oil, battery and I-stop indicator (amber light) was on. I then switch to PARK and restart the engine. The car moves normally again. I have 5 times experiences during my 890 km drive with 14, CX5 today. Please HELP if anyone has a solution or similar experience. I have to report it back to the dealer. IMG_00000120.jpg

check this first, we are on the same boat but we are so lucky than these guys. Mine is US/Canada version without I-stop. I have 4 times these situations as you experienced. They only happen when my car was in the low speed (< 20 km/h) condition or when I pushed the brake. and I also heard a big noise from the car engine, it likes something hit my car.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...se-having-Transmission-Issues-with-their-CX-5

Mine is fixed. The problem was because i add "proxima turbo accelerator" in the intake between throttle and air filter. I was trying to see the prformance of the engine when using this proxima (ex- my previous car). I told the mechanic initially but he thought that it would give any problems also. The car acceleration was damn good but the problems starts when i deccelerate, causing the engine died (probably affect the oxygen supply). The same situation happened also when itwas installed in the test car. So, we took it out and the car back to normal. The "proxima" dealer suggests me to put it in the intake before the air filter (underneath the air filter) and he was right. There is no problems at all. The lesson learned: DO NOT put anything within the system as it will affect the engine sensor !!!! It was a silly test!!

Wow.
You installed a cheap electric fan into your intake system, which restricted your engine's ability to breathe, and caused your car to stall.
Rip that hunk of crap out, and don't do that again.

BC.

Facepalm. Next time make sure you point out right at the start that you were a dumbass. That way I don't have to read through the whole thread.

Facepalm. Next time make sure you point out right at the start that you were a dumbass. That way I don't have to read through the whole thread.

You AH....!!!
This forum supposed to be for sharing...the mechanics who are trained by Mazda did not even know this stuff caused a problem> lol

This just happened to me on a test drive. It was a 2019 GT with NA 2.5 engine, FWD. I don't think I had the adaptive cruise control on, but the "Auto Brake" button (not parking brake) was on. Stopped in traffic and just when I pressed the accelerator to go forward, it just died. I didn't notice any warning lights although I was freaked out because I was in traffic with a lot of people behind me in a car I wasn't familiar with so I may not have seen something. Fortunately by putting the car in park, I was able to restart the engine and it was fine after that, but NOT a great first impression.

I hope this isn't a "thing" with the CX-5 because besides being super annoying and potentially expensive if you need towing, it's a very serious safety concern to be randomly stranded in traffic without warning. Since I haven't seen a ton of reporting on a similar problem, I guess I just had bad luck, but it's something I did experience first hand and it was kind of scary.

Latest posts

Back