El_Diablo's MSM

Some people run the heater for a while to warm it up and put it down, but you can't do the opposite to put it back up.

Also, get yourself a 50 lb bag of gravel and keep it in the trunk. It will really help with traction when heavier snow comes. If you get stuck, you can use the gravel to help you get out.

Not sure if someone's told you, but you shouldn't put the top down when its below 45. You will risk tearing it. There is a bigger problem with plastic windows, but I don't like that chance (its expensive to replace).

MSMs didn't all have cloth tops with glass rear windows?

It is vinyl. To my knowledge, Miatas didn't get the option for cloth until the NC. Any NA or NB with cloth top would have to be an aftermarket top.

Not sure if someone's told you, but you shouldn't put the top down when its below 45. You will risk tearing it. There is a bigger problem with plastic windows, but I don't like that chance (its expensive to replace).
Nope, nobody told me that. Thanks!

oh, and take the front plate off (looks much better)
I will be relocating the front plate when the bumper gets refinished.
+1.

Plus it's a son of a b**** to put back up. The material kind of gets frozen in place and you can't get the top to where it needs to be to latch.
I ran into it being hard to put up one night but it was only in the mid 30's.
Some people run the heater for a while to warm it up and put it down, but you can't do the opposite to put it back up.

Also, get yourself a 50 lb bag of gravel and keep it in the trunk. It will really help with traction when heavier snow comes. If you get stuck, you can use the gravel to help you get out.
I was planning on a bag of salt and a bag of the heavy kitty litter so that I can use either to get unstuck as needed. Typically in the muscle cars we used to DD we would put 3 tube sand bags in the back and top it off with a bag of salt. It would make a huge difference and if mounted far enough back, helped to raise the front end up a bit for more clearance.
It is vinyl. To my knowledge, Miatas didn't get the option for cloth until the NC. Any NA or NB with cloth top would have to be an aftermarket top.
Mine is cloth and original AFAIK. I could be wrong. I'll have to check the window sticker when I get home.

Well, I finally managed to stuff enough stuff to the sides of the garage (late Friday night after work so its a freaking mess) to get the MSM in until I can actually clean the garage.

Tight_Fit_in_The_Garage.jpg

I haven't driven it all that much (still less than 1k miles since picking it up on Nov. 29th) but I like it. I think it will be a good base to build on. Can't wait to mod it and start making some power.

Grand Touring packages on the MSM's had leather seats and cloth tops. It doesn't mind the cold too much. But it is always better to let it come to a decent temp before moving it around too much.

Thanks for the confirmation Phen. Mine is a GT. The top will likely be down during the warmup thats expected as long as it doesn't rain to much.

Back