Idle Issue

thomjs1

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
I am having an idle issue. It happens when I start to come to a stop the RPMs drop almost to zero, and do jump back up until I'm completely stopped. When they do jump up its only until around 500 or so.

Also, sometimes it will drop to almost zero then rev to around 750 then drop again, and repeat.

Any ideas?

Tach normally at 750.
If I drive on the freeway or drive over 55 on the street, when I come to a stop at a red light the tach drops to a little above 500, sometimes it seems like it will stall but doesn't.
I've never had a car that varies at all. The Cobalt was at 800 every single time.

Vacum leak....or maybe a blow off valve that is bieng vented to air without the mass air flow bieng relocated.....have you tried the search? Their has been many post asking the same thing you are now that have been solved

MAF has been relocated so it's not that. I replaced all of the vacuum lines along with the intake gaskets. Could it be a sticky IAC?

a sticky egr valve CAN cause that also. or a vacuum leak as stated before. do you have a boost gauge? whats your vacuum readings at idle?

Reading between 20 and 22 on the vacuum gauge. I think one of my intercooler pipes might be leaking. Would that cause it?

Could be a dirty TB, EGR or IAC. I bet it's a vacuum leak

Do you think it could be a leak even with the vacuum numbers I posted? I plan to clean the EGR and IAC this weekend to see if that helps. I am also installing the 1.8L coil conversion to see if that helps any.

Vacuum should be 22-24 so it may be a slight leak. 1.8 coil pack isn't an upgrade it's only for aesthetics. It may be leaking from a charge pipe.

Does anyone make hard pipes for an SMIC still? I have an aluminum one, CustomMSP I think, and would like to keep it instead of a front mount.

The SU kit is about $400, ridiculous IMO. Corksport sells a replacement piping kit for ~$200 and they are a better vendor anyway. Weapon R may still be available, you can always buy a piping kit online and make it fit yourself.

Cleaned the TB, IAC , MAF, and EGR which fixed the idle issue.

Now I have a problem when I enter boost. The car runs the strongest it's ever run out of boost, but once I hit even 1psi it starts to spit and sputter.

Any ideas why?

Coils, plugs and wires were just replaced trying to solve the idle issue. Gapped the plugs at .028 also.

Latest posts

Back