2012 Mazda5 Red lights in Hatchback

jaynh

:
Mazda Mazda5 Touring 2012
The 2012 Mazda5's red lenses in the hatch door has a reflector in them, but they're missing the light bulb sockets.
I thought that the car would look great with an extra pair of red lights in the door.
The lens is not too hard to get to (pop the hatch inner liner off and it's held on with a couple of screws)
The lens assembly itself is double-walled so it took some effort to mount the new socket.
I had to cut an opening in the back wall with a dremel and then CAREFULLY drill a 1.25" hole with a hole saw into the center of the reflector. Go slow and steady so that there are minimal burrs in the edges of the hole.
Used a rubber grommet to hold bulb socket in place, tapped the wiring into the licence plate lights.
I am happy with the results, looks OEM and the red lenses in the door has a purpose now!

Attachments

• IMG_2735.JPG
    IMG_2735.JPG
    243.2 KB · Views: 675
  • IMG_2518.JPG
    IMG_2518.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 569
Last edited:
Dude this is awesome. This is exactly what I want to do except I just want the regular incandescent bulb instead of the LED bulb. Do you have a step by step or at least a parts list? I'm just leary about drilling into my tail lamp assembly.

Looks good!

how does the bulb fit into the grommet? It is held in by friction only? Is there space to fit 1156 or 1157 sockets?

Last edited:
The 2012 Mazda5's red lenses in the hatch door has a reflector in them, but they're missing the light bulb sockets.
I thought that the car would look great with an extra pair of red lights in the door.
The lens is not too hard to get to (pop the hatch inner liner off and it's held on with a couple of screws)
The lens assembly itself is double-walled so it took some effort to mount the new socket.
I had to cut an opening in the back wall with a dremel and then CAREFULLY drill a 1.25" hole with a hole saw into the center of the reflector. Go slow and steady so that there are minimal burrs in the edges of the hole.
Glued a rubber grommet to hold bulb socket in place, tapped the wiring into the licence plate lights.
I am happy with the results, looks OEM and the red lenses in the door has a purpose now!

Damn I just realized you're in San Diego. Want to do mine? I'll drive down and help you out. :p

Dude this is awesome. This is exactly what I want to do except I just want the regular incandescent bulb instead of the LED bulb. Do you have a step by step or at least a parts list? I'm just leary about drilling into my tail lamp assembly.

Step by step from memory since this was done this past summer:
1) Pop off Hatch inner liner.
2) Undo backup light bulb sockets, unscrew lenses from the inside, then peel lens around edge of hatch to remove.
3) Place lens face down on a clean towel, take your dremel and cut a 2" square access hole in the back plastic wall of the lens behind where you want to mount the socket.
4) Using a Sharpie, mark the back of reflector where you want the socket to be mounted. Triple check the location (centered top and bottom, at the high point of the reflector)
5) Drill a pilot hole on the mark, then carefully and slowly drill the hole with a 1.25" hole saw. Go slow and steady so that there are minimal burrs in the edges of the hole.
6) Put a 1" rubber grommet around the base of the socket (make sure that your light bulb is already mounted in the socket) and work it into the hole. Use a jewelers screw driver and trim some rubber off the grommet if necessary to make it fit. The socket will stay in by the tight friction. Patience is a virtue!
6a) Can also use Duct Tape or Hot Glue Gun to secure if you can't find grommets.
6b) TIP: If you use Hot Glue and you need to replace bulb in the future, Rubbing Alcohol works great to take off the glue and then re-glue socket with the new bulb.
7) Secure the lens back into the hatch door. Wire the new lights to the license plate light wiring and test.
8) Repeat for the other side.
9) Voila, enjoy your new lights!

Parts list:
1) Two pre-wired light sockets (up to you which type socket you want to use)
2) Two Light Bulbs to fit sockets (Incandescent or LED)
3) Two 1-inch Rubber Grommets (or Duct Tape or Hot Glue or whatever you want to use to secure the sockets in the lens reflector)
4) Extra wiring and connectors to connect to license plate lights (you can be creative and connect dual-filament light bulbs to license plate and center brake light, it's up to you how far you want to go with it)

Last edited:
I don't think I've even looked at the rear. LOL Hadn't even noticed the little lights (rear fog?) In the bumper! Hahaha!
Anyway, if this applies to the 2013 as well, this will be added to my Spring projects. Thanks!
Which LED bulb and mount did you use?

I don't think I've even looked at the rear. LOL Hadn't even noticed the little lights (rear fog?) In the bumper! Hahaha!
Anyway, if this applies to the 2013 as well, this will be added to my Spring projects. Thanks!
Which LED bulb and mount did you use?

Those are red reflectors. They appear to be lit likely because of the camera flash when the picture was taken.

Yup. Saw your other post. Unfortunately, looks like Speedline website is down. Maybe I'll check eBay for those.

You can wire them any way you like. You can even install dual filament bulbs and sockets so they light dim with driving lights and light bright with the brakes. You can tap into the upper center brake light to get the brake signal.

Over 2 years since installed and socket/light combo is working as good as new! No maintenance needed at all!! Also, absolutely no water has leaked into the lenses.

Back