The 2nd protege (mp3)

stivine6

:
2001 Mazda Protege ES
Hey guys,

I just picked up a 01 Mazda Protege MP3 that i came across randomly one day while i was browsing at work. I just sold my red protege over the weekend :( new owner will be picking it up tomorrow, going to be a sad day.. really enjoyed it while it lasted. But now with this new ride i can focus on some performance mod and a few exterior mods to compliment it. I'll just post everything in this section since it'll be a continual build from my old one with some same parts

Anyways on with some pictures

Most recent as of 19/10/2016
DSC_0254_zpsu9n0u8lb.jpg

DSC_0258_zpsn8do4w2i.jpg

DSC_0276_zpsds368a0t.jpg

DSC_0277_zpsgbf8yzdr.jpg

Slapped on some winter tires/rims from RedArrow, just in time for snow!
D8C8FADC-32DF-417A-822C-D7AD0A7FE398_zpsfjpdmylj.jpg

Swapped out the new headlights that were on the red pro
k8qd.jpg

And just rolled over 147k km today
a6fm.jpg

I've swapped over a few things including:
- Msp seats
- Headlights
- Tailights
- Window visors
- HKS axle back
- 03 cupholders
- leather steering wheel (stock nardi was worn out)
- Short ram intake
- MSP front lip (needs to be painted next summer)

Already done some maintenance on it including:
- Tranny mount
- Oil change
- MTX fluid change
- Coolant flush + thermostat change
- Rust proof everywhere!!

My to do list
- Change EGR valve (P0401 code currently present, ordered CAN revised version which is on the way)
- Timing belt + water pump (Picked up kit from MOSI)
- Install OBX 4-2-1 header
- Coilovers or struts/spring combo
- New tires
- Brakes + paint calipers
- 20mm spacers /front 15m/rear

That's pretty much it for now, just waiting for spring to come now so i can begin with mods!

Last edited:
Been gathering a few parts lately ;D

Photo3-9-2014114706AM_zpsec44060a.jpg

msp lip painted from the red protege and will be installed in the spring time

Last edited:
Car has been lowered!!

Also ordered new rear endlinks to get rid of the clunk and all new rotors and pads all around from rockauto. That should almost do it for regular maintenance, just need some new plugs and coils probably in the summer.

We had a pretty crazy ice storm but here's the car lowered
7qkj.jpg

bhtb.jpg

Thanks guys! Can't wait for summer to come that's when the real fun begins.

I've been dying to get a 5 speed for a while now

Just another small update, i ordered a set of new raybesto rotors and centric posi quiet ceramic brake pads as well as Moog rear endlinks. Should be getting these on the car next week and no more funny noises!! :D

p958.jpg

kx2.JPG

Would've went with OEM but i can't afford those at the moment and these had really good reviews.

here are a few small updates, nothing too much really

took my car on a little road trip to buffalo new york, the drive was pretty insane with iced up highways and being only able to go about 60 km/hr. But here she was after arriving, caked with snow, ice, and wonderful salt

0tmb.jpg

Also installed my hood deflector back on for the trip, it grew on me so i'm keeping it on :)
acut.jpg

I also replaced my brakes thanks to help from Joesph and got my rear links done as well. No more funny noises!! It's finally up to my expectations :D
zj6k.jpg

and then got this bad boy painted... will be installed in the spring

77ky.jpg

And there she is again after blasting all the salt off :)
5wko.jpg

looks nice, please tell me its stick I would love tpo get my hand son a MazdaSpeed Protg or at least the engine so I can do a swap and turbo build

Nice MP3 man!

looks nice, please tell me its stick I would love tpo get my hand son a MazdaSpeed Protg or at least the engine so I can do a swap and turbo build
The motor is the same on the MSP it just has the turbo, and all MP3s and MSPs are 5 speeds.

It is 5 speed indeed :) MP3's only came in 5 speed. Not a fast car by any means but a lot of fun to drive, corners excellent!

Nice MP3 man!

The motor is the same on the MSP it just has the turbo, and all MP3s and MSPs are 5 speeds.

Thanks man, im so stoked for spring, deciding between 15mm spacers all around + MP3 rims or get a set of new rims

so actually today i had a chance to throw on the spacers just to test fit and get an idea. Really not sure to go 205/45 or 215/40 series tire. I drove around the streets a bit over bumps and everything, no rubbing or anything unusual, maybe 215/40 would be safe still.

Took a few shots with my dslr to get a clear picture

fa28.jpg

7ce0.jpg

3a5j.jpg

0fxw.jpg

ykzv.jpg

b5q8.jpg

Just what i was looking for pretty much, tires need a bit more meat though, So either a setup similar to this in the spring or get new GP Racing GR-4 (CR-Kai reps) rims and tires.

Maybe u should get some spacers for my mp3 now too eh frank ? :p what size spacers are u using again?

15mm :p considering 20mm for the front but that might be pushing it.

Should look really good if i dip the wheels white as well and slap on my msp lip on

Not really much of an update, i purchased some new summer tires, will be prepping the racing harts for plasti dip soon, and today since it's such a nice day and i have my one day off i decided to install my msp lip that's been sitting around the house taking up space. I can't wait to take these steelies off

Photo3-9-2014114706AM_zpsec44060a.jpg

Photo3-9-201414324PM_zps8d87b784.jpg

D85A34F7-F62F-4C92-AE98-8837A0F902B7_zpsp8ac9uq4.jpg

The car need a really good wash BADD.

Oh yeah i also replaced the rear sway bar bushings with ones from AWR. No more clunking whatsoever. Rear end feels 100% more solid and tight. I made sure to seriously grease the crap out of it.

Photo3-6-201494000AM_zpsc5c3ebe8.jpg

Just threw on my summers with 15mm spacers up front and 8mm in the rear + painted calipers

Here are a few pics I took after a wash.

Photo4-1-201475226PM_zps4ca65fce.jpg

Photo4-1-201475205PM_zps2c5580f7.jpg

Photo4-1-201475214PM_zps36d5f163.jpg

Photo4-3-201464232PM_zps240f3124.jpg

Next up on the list will be
- Corksport shifter poly bushings and bronze oil bushings
- S204 lip
- Exhaust (2.25") + OBX Header

It's going be clean, simple and a fun daily.

not a big update but i took off the white dipped rims.

Photo5-5-201460605PM_zps04ee2611.jpg

Hoping to get a new set of rims soon

Back