FUEL IN OIL DILUTION and complaints

BROADBEAN9513

:
CX5 2.2 D (175) SPORT NAV AWD WITH SAFETY PACK
I have run my new CX5 since March and has now done 7500 miles. I commute daily for 100 miles in the winter months and my wife has the car in the summer. I have had the new dipstick fitted and the exhaust sensor recall. Yesterday after driving the vehicle for 35 miles a warning light appeared for ' Engine Oil Pressure Inspection' also red warning triangle. I reported it to Mazda in Hamilton and told them I would drive over the next day for a check over. The Oill level was below the new X mark on c type dipstick. Once at the garage and a few checks later nothing was found. Upon my journey home from the garage (40miles)!! The light came on again!! I informed the garage who then said turn around and we will check it again. Round trip 160 Miles!!! This time surprise they said it had deteriorated oil alarm on their diagnostic report. They then informed me that the car required its full 1st annual service early at 7500 and 9.5 months. This was not what I signed into when I bought the car. Many manks and moans later to the service manager and excuses etc etc, they said to contact Mazda UK with my complaint about early service and the oil dilution issue. I am now worried that I have bought a car which will require services every 7000 miles which to me is not what I signed for (12500 or annually). Where do I stand and is it worth contacting the likes of Which or Trading Standards etc? One thing I have noticed is that whilst the fuel dilution was occurring over several months the MPG of the vehicle was improving until I got 47 mpg. This I believe is due to the less viscous oil and the corresponding less drag on the engine parts. What long term damage is this doing over a period of time especially when the new dipstick allows for more fuel dilution on the regen cycle??(notcool) Has anyone else had joy with complaints???

First oil change should be done early. So that's normal. If you don't, you're pumping all the break in metals around and piston rings can only deal with so much before not sealing and having more blow-by than normal, causing oil consumption.

Second thing: Until the engine is fully broken in, expect it to burn a little oil, so instead of never checking in 9.5 months, check the dipstick monthly and top off if needed. Burning a little oil is normal, especially since that little was usually never noticed in older cars with short change intervals. But you're going 4 times longer, it's going to burn 4x as much between changes.

Third thing: How long is your commute before getting on the interstate/carriage way? Is your car fully warm before then?

Fourth thing: Do you ever take short trips less than 10 miles, get stuck in traffic, or operate the vehicle in cold winter months? If so you probably should be using the shorter maintenance schedule. Reason being: if you answer yes to any of those and don't, they'll deny warranty claims.

Good luck!

...One thing I have noticed is that whilst the fuel dilution was occurring over several months the MPG of the vehicle was improving until I got 47 mpg. This I believe is due to the less viscous oil and the corresponding less drag on the engine parts. What long term damage is this doing over a period of time especially when the new dipstick allows for more fuel dilution on the regen cycle??(notcool)...

I won't speculate on what might cause an increase in your mpg, but if the oil viscosity is/was too thin you'd have increased friction wear. You can't have increased friction wear without increased friction; thus lowering your mpg. If you think you have fuel dilution and that it might be causing increased wear, have oil analysis done regularly. Oil analysis will tell you the percent of fuel dilution, viscosity, and wear metals.

Thanks for your comments those in the US, but over here in the UK and Australia many are experiencing a dilemma that is entirely to do with the skyactiv diesel. The reason why the oil level is going up is due to the Diesel particulate filter regeneration that uses some of the fuel (Diesel to clean the DPF). The excess is going to go into the oil sump as unburnt fuel unless the revs are taken above 2000 rpm. Apparently Mazda are aware but are turning a blind eye or so I believe as the issue could cost them if they admit there is a problem. This cause premature rising oil level mixed with diesel thus giving less viscosity.

So the solution to get rid of the fuel is to drive it harder? Am I in heaven?

Time for an Italian tune-up!

Being an ex rac patrol no one has mentioned what happens to rubber valve stem seals when in contact with diesel fuel this will be a first indicator as at idle then pulling away you will get puffs of blue smoke.

So are you oging to tell us what happens to rubber valve stem seals when coming into contact with diesel?

And do you know that the CX5 has rubber vs viton or nitrile?

Ok guys your splitting hairs it's normally rubber they use.Firstly do you think mazda intended so much diesel entering there engines on regen cycles other wise why are we debating this subject.
Engine design is going to change radically in the next 4 /5 years cam shaft and valves are going to be a thing of the past reducing engine friction these will be taken over by PLC driven sola lids all controlled by engine sensors and engine ECU resulting in leaner burning engines with less friction

to go back to the original question, I had a premature oil change refunded after a letter to mazda. it was up to the old dipstick X. dont use the website to complain, i had no response that way.

car now on 10K level 1/2 way between full and new X. I think garage overfilled not taking oil in filter into account. it's been there or thereabouts since the oil change, more details in the oil level rise post if you're interested.

Hi Dad of John
Sounds like a bit of a fight how quickly did mazda respond.Spoke to Mazda Braintree steve in service has said there working on a fix for the flash drive issue .

Hi Dad of John
Sounds like a bit of a fight how quickly did mazda respond.Spoke to Mazda Braintree steve in service has said there working on a fix for the flash drive issue .

They were ok with it. I had also sent them a letter when I purchased the car explaining that if I used the car as per the advice in the manual that I would not pay for premature oil changes. They responded by saying any faults would be rectified under the terms of the warranty. The oil change was less than 50 anyway.

This has just happened to my car, the same model as your car. My query to Mazda was how am I supposed to know when the DPF is regenerating the filter, and with a 6 gear automatic its harder to get the rpm above 2,000.

This has just happened to my car, the same model as your car. My query to Mazda was how am I supposed to know when the DPF is regenerating the filter, and with a 6 gear automatic its harder to get the rpm above 2,000.

I find it quite hard to get over 2,000 in a manual (unless I need to go warp factor 9)

the i-stop light turns amber in aus when a regen is on, it's a shame they didn't keep that for the uk.

Back