Yellowspeed? Other coilovers?

sneakypete

Contributor
:
2002 Protege5
What is your experience with different brands of mid-range coilovers (under $1,000)?

My Racing Beat rear sway bar and clunk-fix brackets keep snapping the endlink mounting tabs off of my Stagg struts, so I am thinking of upgrading. I have been looking at Tokicos, but once I factor in the cost of replacing my upper strut mounts, I am entering coilover territory.

Any experience would be appreciated.

A friend have BC Racing c/o's on his 99 protege... He likes it. And I think they're like 9xx$ or not much more than 1000$.

As for my personnal experience, I got STD R3 coilovers and way satisfied with them! But a bit more than 1000$.

Before that I had Mazdaspeed B-Spec adjustable struts (Tokico green) with the lower coil seat removed for lower drop, to put some Eibach GroundControl coilover sleeves. I loved them too, not so expensive to have a stiff "strut-adjustable" setup thats good for lapping and grocery getter.

Suspension needs to be appropriate to vehicule vocation . What are you doing with the car? (street, lapping, drag, rally, show'n'shine, etc)

Get a suspension that fits your needs !

Last edited:
Sub $1000 would be entry level coilovers (Ksport, yellowspeed, meagan, BC & Teins) Mid range (Standard, Jic Magic & AWR) then high end (Moton, Bilstein & JRZ)

Well then I guess I mean entry level. Whatever. What I'm looking for is informed advice based on experience.

Thanks for the tip, clement_ghost. My car is my DD, but I plan to start autocrossing in the 2014 season once I get everything buttoned down on my car.

Don't know much about the yellowspeed, but ksport & meagans are great for the price, wide range of dampening adjustments, and the top mounts are adjustable too, the lower mounts thread onto the strut bodies so you can maintain pre-load in the springs and alter the ride height. depending on how much you want to dial in the suspension, you might want to look into custom spring rates. I'm not a fan of the springs that come with most all-in the box coilovers...

i got a set of yellowspeed coil overs, for the price ive been pleasantly surprised. Ive had them for about a 1.5 years now this is what i have to say about them

Pros:
-Price
-adjustable shocks
-the way the height is adjusted by lowering and lifting were the knuckle bolts to rather then having to mess with the springs.
-Camber Plates in the front
-the top screw hole, that knuckle bolts to, is slotted so if you wished you can run stupid amounts of camber if you wanted it
-Stiffens up the suspension adds to driving feel
-They haven't blown out yet
-I believe you can contact CR3 and hell tell you where to send them to get them rebuild if needed.

Cons:
-No camber plates in the rear
-Noise, sometimes during lower temps when you turn the wheel you can hear the coils creaking
-Not all the metal bits are painted so those start to rust after a while
-At low speed on bumpy roads the ride can get very annoying

Don't know much about the yellowspeed, but ksport & meagans are great for the price, wide range of dampening adjustments, and the top mounts are adjustable too, the lower mounts thread onto the strut bodies so you can maintain pre-load in the springs and alter the ride height. depending on how much you want to dial in the suspension, you might want to look into custom spring rates. I'm not a fan of the springs that come with most all-in the box coilovers...
Why don't you like them? Too high? Too low? I never thought I would consider coilovers, but since my current setup has been exposing the weaknesses of my current struts, coilovers are looking like a reasonable option.

I get mixed reviews from people about streetability of entry-level coilovers. I have a reasonable tolerance for some ride harshness, but I want something I can live with. Any thoughts?

Bump. I'm on the verge of buying some Yellowspeeds, but I notice that they don't come with rear camber adjustment plates. The Ksports do, but some people seem to not care for those coilovers.

Any experience would be greatly appreciated!

Cons:
-No camber plates in the rear
-Noise, sometimes during lower temps when you turn the wheel you can hear the coils creaking
-Not all the metal bits are painted so those start to rust after a while
-At low speed on bumpy roads the ride can get very annoying

for the creaking noise, re adjust you're preload and it should go away

PM CR3 Motorsports, they were doing special pricing for yellow-speed through this forum, and if you can save some money, woot!

Back