Is Light-Truck Highway all-season tire a good choice?

:
Former CX-5 Own
I am planing on replacing the Geolanders (225/65 R17) before winter with something else. While here in Northern California 99% of my driving will be on dry or at most wet roads, I am looking for a bit more safety when going up the mountains.
Doing some research I came across the Firestone Desitnation LE 2, which is of a "Light truck Highway all-season" tire category. My concern is that it will degrade normal dry on-road performance and perhaps that this category in general is inferior to other choices like "Grand-Touring" or even "Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season". Please note this tire gets very good tirerack reviews in terms of noise, cornering etc.

Am I wrong or perhaps thinking too much about tire categories? Perhaps they are but a label and way of constructing tire compounds?
Do you have better suggestions?

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, Firestone Destinations used to be the OE tire on Ford Explorers back in the days when Explorers were selling like crazy. So you couldn't be that far off.

I would not recommend them. My recent research led to Nitto Motivo tires. The tech used to make them in newer and the reviews are amazing. Also, price is very reasonable.

Alafya - How many miles do you have on the Geolanders? Did they perform poorly in snow?

Latest posts

Back