Listen to this - clicking noise when engine braking - any ideas??

ict_guy

:
Mazda 5 2013 model - 1.6 diesel
I have just bought the 2013 Mazda 5 1.6 diesel (here in the UK, it's either the 2.0 petrol or the one I have). I keep hearing a strange clicking noise from the engine when I take my foot off the accelerator (gas pedal), notice it mostly in 3rd gear (manual gearbox) at about 2000 rpm. Please click on the link below to hear it. Very interested in your ideas on what it could be. Mazda have already changed a fuel injector - hasn't fixed it!!!!! The problem only occurs when the engine is warm (after about 15 minutes of driving). HELP!!!!!!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ejbis5navr294o/Mazda5_BF63%200DP___P8%20HLY.wav

Thanks

Last edited:
I'd take it back and leave it with Mazda till they fix it or give you a new car with out the noise.
New car should not make strange noises like that.
We don't get diesel option in USA/Canada so maybe someone from your side of the pond has a better idea.

Problem is, the Mazda dealership had it for nearly 2 weeks (gave me a car whilst they had it) and failed to fix it - I am losing confidence in their abilities (gah)

Have been on to Mazda UK, so hope they will do something about it soon......Although, my wife is still driving it. Waiting on Mazda UK to sort out a date when they can collect it and leave a replacement... Still, I would be very interested in hearing the views on what it could be. This engine has done like 1500 miles from new.

I've listened and I don't understand why they would replace the FI if it only occurs during deceleration. I'm thinking it could be something with your flap in the throttle body opening and closing due to low spring tension, or a vaccum leak. I agree with Vasy. They should not have even given you the car back if it was still doing the same thing.Do you park outside? Something may have bitten a wire or two. It happened to my wife's car and knocked out her VTEC. They need to go through your car completely and definitely request a different mechanic at the dealership.

Thanks for your replies guys. phunky.buddha it is a turbo diesel. Mazda UK have contacted me today and told me that there is a related bulletin regarding this noise, saying that it is noisy combustion and that the injectors do a self-learn when under engine braking and certain conditions are met - air intake>0, engine collant>70 etc etc

Anyway, they want me to take the Mazda to a dealer who will force an injector learn - will take a few hours.....

I must say, I am not very hopefull!!!!!!

awesome engine sound for a turbo, sounds like a subaru, well minus the noise, hope it all works out for you, wish my 2.3 had a turbo

Thanks for your replies guys. phunky.buddha it is a turbo diesel. Mazda UK have contacted me today and told me that there is a related bulletin regarding this noise, saying that it is noisy combustion and that the injectors do a self-learn when under engine braking and certain conditions are met - air intake>0, engine collant>70 etc etc

Anyway, they want me to take the Mazda to a dealer who will force an injector learn - will take a few hours.....

I must say, I am not very hopefull!!!!!!

Interesting... I'm curious to hear what the result of this forced self learn is! As far as being a turbo diesel, engine braking with a turbo can sound kinda funny sometimes- that's why I was wondering about a bypass/blowoff valve or something in the system possibly making noise like that.

Booked in on Wednesday 20th November. Will let you know the outcome. Mazda UK have arranged a loan car from 'Enterprise' - a Vauxhall Astra!! Says a lot about their confidence in the Mazda product (boom03)

Booked in on Wednesday 20th November. Will let you know the outcome. Mazda UK have arranged a loan car from 'Enterprise' - a Vauxhall Astra!! Says a lot about their confidence in the Mazda product (boom03)

At least they privide you with a car, not just public transit :)
I dunno how it is in UK, but here you hardly ever see mazdas on rental lots.
My mom has 2009 Vauxhall Astra, I like that car :) (known as Saturn Astra here)

Hi ict_guy, we have a 2014 mazda 5 1.6 diesel with no issues for the 1st 7 months(bought new), it then developed a ticking sound on overrun/engine breaking, it is so loud it can be heard clearly inside and outside the car, the car has been back to main dealer 3 times and have even had once over from a mazda tech from head office, apparently this noise is "normal" and there is nothing wrong, we are not happy with this as we paid 22500 for a car that sounds like we paid 500 for, it is now going to an independent garage for investigation ( at our expense) to be dealt with, if the dealer told us about it we would have also bought a petrol version

Apparently it is the injectors re-calibrating themselves and mazda have basically washed their hands with it

Back