Clutch quit working - pedal sticks to the floor - release arm is floppy

rkhanso

:
2006 Mazda5
I had the clutch replaced this last spring/summer at a private repair shop that I've used a number of times. A couple days ago, my wife couldn't get the car started and thought the battery was dead. It wasn't. The clutch switch was not being actuated when the clutch pedal was pressed to the floor and the car wouldn't start. Once I took a look, I saw that the clutch pedal would stick to the floor and would only come up when I pulled it back. I'd press it again and the same thing would happen. I started it in first gear and drove home.

Today, I saw fluid around the slave cylinder so I bought a new one and was going to put it in, but noticed what I think is the real problem....the release arm is floppy. I can move it back/forth without any resistance. It seems that something inside the transmission/clutch is broken or out of whack. Here's a video of what it looks like:

I think the guy I had replace the clutch may have gone out of business - I can't reach him. Could this be an 'easy' fix? I'm pretty mechanical, though lack multiple tranny jacks, engine lifts, etc. I have hand tools, jack stands, etc. No air tools. Or, is this more of a 'real mechanic' type fix?

Thanks.

Hi it will seam floppy as the arm you are moving is connected to the thrust bearing and the way you are moving the arm is the free play on the bearing on the input shaft normal. My suggestion is replace the slave cylinder and when bleeding use a small rubber pipe connected to the open bleed nipple on side of slave immerse the end of pipe into a pre filled jar of brake /cutch fluid say half filled that way you can bleed on your own.

I don't think it should be as movable as it is. I put the new slave cylinder on and it can't extend far enough, plus the arm is hitting the transmission housing on the far end. It doesn't appear to be working correctly inside the transmission - either something broken or popped out of place? Crud.

Ok remove the rubber boot and make sure the arm is fixed to the thrust bearing there is normally some spring clips securing

I think the release arm is shot. I'm guessing this can't be fixed without removing the transmission.

Here are some pictures...

Mazda3.jpg

Mazda7.jpg

Last edited:
Another thought I just had: Could this have happened because we didn't have the flywheel turned or replaced when we had the clutch replaced? I did notice a little shudder when using the clutch.

Ok gear box out can you get fitchelen Sachs clutches in the USA buy the 3 part ie pressure plate friction plate thrust bearing you won't need to skim fly wheel as the judder is down to pressure plate

I had what sounds like a similar issue before on a different car but result was almost identical from what I remember. Maybe 6 month after a new clutch, dead.
Took it apart, pressure plate failed. Had it replaced under warranty but still had to pay for the labor but the shop did it for super discount rate.
You can machine the flywheel if it is with-in spec, I did it as it was scratched (I waited too long to put in a new clutch)

Back