Replacing front vs rear brakes

markuszoom5

:
Mazda 5 Sport
Have any of you replaced the front rotors/pads only and left the rear axle alone. I have replaced and lubed the front brakes and rotors with oem mazda stuff. And I have only lubed the rear setup and cleaned the pads and put them back on. They look good to me. Have your rears outlasted the fronts? Why do the extra work if not necessary...

as long as the calipers are in working order, and the pads still have good meat on them, i say leave them alone. just check them regularly to make sure you don't run out of pad.

I'm getting ready to replace the front pads. Funny thing is that the pad you see has plenty left, but the pad behind is thin. The rears have plenty of life left. I still might change them to have the same pad type on all four corners.

I'm getting ready to replace the front pads. Funny thing is that the pad you see has plenty left, but the pad behind is thin. The rears have plenty of life left. I still might change them to have the same pad type on all four corners.

if the inside pad is wearing out before the outer pad, your slider pins are not sliding and need to be lubricated.

Be careful of sticky slider pins (see below)! Do not rely on visuals by looking at the outer pad alone as the inner pad is the side that the piston is riding on!
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...ront-pads-after-46K-original-miles&highlight=

Replace it all of the pads, rotors too, with quality replacements.

Thanks for the link! I'll post a question there...

Oh and getting Hawk HPS pads, Centric rotors and Goodridge SS lines.

Yeah, back in Dec, I bought pads for all 4, but the rears were so good I left them alone. 55+K miles.

Back