Usb errors?!

dusterdust

:
2014 cx-5 GT
Has anyone figured out what is causing the USB errors?
I've had my 2014 GT for 2 months now and I'm on my 5th thumbdrive...Usually works for a week or so. Then all of the sudden "USB ERROR"...The drive will work in everything else, just NEVER again in the CX-5...Formatting does nothing. I've had different brands/sizes...never went beyond 1000 songs...etc...Is this something I can have fixed under the veh's warranty? Or is it something Mazda will look at, see a thumbdrive function for a few seconds, then claim nothing is wrong?

ANy ideas?

I am having the same issue. USB works everywhere else but on mazda. Totally unhappy with the head unit. its big time mazda address these issues

Has anyone figured out what is causing the USB errors?
I've had my 2014 GT for 2 months now and I'm on my 5th thumbdrive...Usually works for a week or so. Then all of the sudden "USB ERROR"...The drive will work in everything else, just NEVER again in the CX-5...Formatting does nothing. I've had different brands/sizes...never went beyond 1000 songs...etc...Is this something I can have fixed under the veh's warranty? Or is it something Mazda will look at, see a thumbdrive function for a few seconds, then claim nothing is wrong?

ANy ideas?

I don't think there's any insight available on this. I'm on my 3rd USB drive, with the same problem twice before. My guess is that the head unit is corrupting the drive somehow, but it's interesting how it can't be fixed by re-formatting. My guess is that there's some voltage problem in the head unit, which might be fixable by firmware update, or might not. My guess is that it will be the subject of some kind of service bulletin in the next few months.

After the USB error occurs, will the thumb drive still work in another device, without needing reformatting first? If so you can rule out the head unit corrupting the drive. Have you tried a robust legacy format like FAT32? Your load times will likely be slower but it might be a temp fix until Mazda works through the issue and releases something to address it.

My 2014 CX-5 (7/13 build, 9/30 purchase) just chewed up its 3rd USB flash drive, this one a USB 3.0 32 gig. Yes, it was FAT32.

Not sure what do now? Is this is a widely known problem that I should wait for a fix for, or should I go to my dealer? Trying to decide whether it's worth the trouble. Probably worth a phone call, I guess.

What say you?

Just wanted to let everyone know that after speaking with Mazda and my local service department, the issue appears to be known. There is a problem (with some) cables that connect the USB port to the system. I was advised that replacing the internal cable fixes the issue with the port causing USB sticks to eventually give a USB ERROR message, and then stop working. My local Mazda were told what to order and will be replacing it under warranty once it gets in.

I just thought I would share this and encourage anyone experiencing this problem to contact their dealer. My dealer was not personally aware of the issue, but contacted his "guy" at Mazda Canada who advised, again, that it is a known issue (with a solution :p)

My suspicion is that if this works, it'll probably explain some of the iPod/iPhone errors as well.

Back