Engine revving when applying brakes

Normal. Engine braking. Most intelligent slushbox I've ever piloted.

Normal? What are you talking about? Did you even bother to read Bgasser's post? Try reading it again only a bit slower this time...

This may be a one post wonder but that doesn't mean this is made up to bash Mazda, I love my car and I came across this page looking for answers for the same issue. I will come to a stop and the engine begins to rev. My foot is definitely not on the gas, in fact I practically have to stand on the brake in gear of the car moving forward. This has happened multiple times, this last time they was a loud clunk and the car lurched forward. This is scary and if my wife or kid was driving they may end up in an accident. Does anyone know of a solution? My dealer has never heard of this.

Just curious. What happens if you put the trans in neutral or park while it's exhibiting this behavior?

If you're at a stop then your foot is on the gas and brake at the same time.

If you're coming to a stop from highway speeds and are moderately braking instead of gentle braking it will downshift to keep you safely in gear. It also does this braking moderately down a hill, and even more so in sport modes.

Normal? What are you talking about? Did you even bother to read Bgasser's post? Try reading it again only a bit slower this time...

Hello

I have the 2014 - CX-5 GT for the last 6 months.

I noticed when the brakes are applied when the car is at decent speed(normally noticed when 50 or higher), engine starts revving and the RPM goes to 4K or above.

Is this a normal behavior? anyone have experienced the same??

Please advise

Thanks
DN

If you're at a stop then your foot is on the gas and brake at the same time.

If you're coming to a stop from highway speeds and are moderately braking instead of gentle braking it will downshift to keep you safely in gear. It also does this braking moderately down a hill, and even more so in sport modes.

It shouldn't be.

OP said he's going 50mph.

Perhaps we need to determine what "gear" he is in before braking and what gear he's in during braking to slow down.

Assuming its an automatic in auto mode: If going from 6th gear/5th gear @50mph - then he applies brakes - if the car goes down to 2/3rd gear by itself thus causing the higher rpms...this is not normal in auto mode. The auto will downshift only to 4th gear. It won't go down to 2/3rd gear until you're just about to stop or reach say 10mph which at that speed is now at low RPMs. So OP needs to specify what speed he is slowing down to and if he's using manual mode.

If in manual mode....duh when you downshift from 5th/6th to 2/3rd gear the engine's rpms goes up.

Last edited:
This may be a one post wonder but that doesn't mean this is made up to bash Mazda, I love my car and I came across this page looking for answers for the same issue. I will come to a stop and the engine begins to rev. My foot is definitely not on the gas, in fact I practically have to stand on the brake in gear of the car moving forward. This has happened multiple times, this last time they was a loud clunk and the car lurched forward. This is scary and if my wife or kid was driving they may end up in an accident. Does anyone know of a solution? My dealer has never heard of this.

Skeptical. Brakes have no trouble holding a car at a stop, even at redline.

Had this happen to me once and I don't honestly know whether my foot was on both peddles at the same time. I was stopped at a red light when the engine started racing, took my foot off the brake and it slammed into gear rather violently. Coming from a Corolla with the gas pedal fiasco I'm rather observant about touching both pedals at the same time...

Oh I see, you're commenting on a post that's over three years old.

Hello

I have the 2014 - CX-5 GT for the last 6 months.

I noticed when the brakes are applied when the car is at decent speed(normally noticed when 50 or higher), engine starts revving and the RPM goes to 4K or above.

Is this a normal behavior? anyone have experienced the same??

Please advise

Thanks
DN

As opposed to Bgasser's post that is currently before us.

Again I suggest that you read slower and pay some attention to what's current and what's not.

Back