New Stereo Head Unit XD

NinjaNoises

:
CX-5 Sport MT
New Stereo Head Unit Sport Model *PROBLEMS*

Just excited to get this in the mail today and want to share the photo. lol. It's going in my Sport model, so I don't have anything to lose.

I'll update with an installed photo when I'm done. :)

JVC KWHDR81BT

288yq7k.jpg

**UPDATE 11/13/13**

I've installed the new JVC head unit. Sounds so much better!!! It should be the first upgrade to make if you are going to upgrade the audio.

That said, the installation was not without problems. After making all the wire connections, and installing the unit, the new stereo had no power. After a few calls to Crutchfield, the technician advised me to deviate from the wiring diagram a bit with my connections and the unit finally worked.

Stereo is working, but still, the steering controls are not working, even though I have the adapter wired in. Crutchfield is investigating and is supposed to get back to me about it.

I'll keep you guys posted on what happens next.

BEFORE:
2vlv9fp.jpg

AFTER:
anm05i.jpg

Last edited:
What a coincidence - I have this same unit in my cart at Crutchfield ($179) and almost ordered last night but didn't.

I have the Sport model too with the non-touch screen radio. I installed DB351s in the dash and they improved the sound quite a bit but it's still fairly poor. The JVC KWHDR81BT seems like a good deal for what you get and the customer reviews are pretty good. Can't wait to see how yours turns out and how the BT works.

Are you keeping the steering wheel controls?

What a coincidence - I have this same unit in my cart at Crutchfield ($179) and almost ordered last night but didn't.

I have the Sport model too with the non-touch screen radio. I installed DB351s in the dash and they improved the sound quite a bit but it's still fairly poor. The JVC KWHDR81BT seems like a good deal for what you get and the customer reviews are pretty good. Can't wait to see how yours turns out and how the BT works.

Are you keeping the steering wheel controls?

YES, I intend on keeping the steering wheel controls. However, some problems have come up during the installation. I updated the opening post to give more update.

On with regards to that JVC unit, it is awesome. HD radio is so clear and bluetooth works flawlessly with Spotify and Pandora. Cheers.

Not to be obvious here, but just wanted to make sure you are aware that there is a little dial on the steering wheel controller that needs to be set to the proper number for your particular manufacturer (#2 for JVC in this case).

Last edited:
Not to be obvious here, but just wanted to make sure you are aware that there is a little dial on the steering wheel controller that needs to be set to the proper number for your particular manufacturer (#2 for JVC in this case).

Good looking out. Yes, it was on 2.

Back