Wind noise coming from Driver Window, Just started happening. 2011 CX-9 Touring

blackntan

:
2011 Mazda CX-9 Touring - Black n Tan
Wifes car, but I've been driving it about every other week recently. I just noticed yesterday that there is excessive wind noise coming from the top corner of the driver side window. I can put my fingers up in the corner, and stop the noise when driving. Noticeable around 45+ mph. I asked her if she has noticed it, and she said she just started noticing it in the past week. Also, the window just starting making some kind of grinding noise rolling down, when it gets past about half way. The car is 2 years old with 18k miles. Would the window molding be something covered under basic warranty? I assume the window problem would be covered, but after a few google searches of driver side wind noise, seems that dealers are saying "par for the course"? I'm hesitant to try to fix it myself, because then they'd say that I broke it :( It is annoying as hell. Anyone else ever experienced this?

First picture is of the passenger side molding, looks good, no noise over there.

Second picture is the driver side molding from the outside, you can see where it looks like it is pushed in.

Third and fourth pictures are of the driver side molding with the window down.

20131030_032853_zpsf69509b3.jpg

20131030_032921_zps9aa62c99.jpg

20131030_033009_zps39b4c023.jpg

20131030_033041_zpsbc59460f.jpg

It looks like it's just out of place. Have you tried popping it back into place? If not, I'd say should be under warranty. Good luck!

Check my thread...

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123799958-Window-weather-stripping-in-door

I would suggest trying to see if it is covered under warranty.

Thanks guys. I have an appointment at 8am at the Mazda dealership to check the molding and the grinding sound that the window makes when rolling down, after halfway. This is very strange, because we don't put flags or anything in the windows, never done anything that would create this problem, and it looks like a problem that was actually created? Can't imagine it has been like that since new, because we have been driving the car for 2 years now, and have never noticed the wind noise until this past week...weird.

Last edited:
Good news, it will be a warranty repair. They are missing one of the parts, so they had to order it. Will be in late tomorrow, and I'll drop the car off on Monday. They also did some kind of AC recall (just flashed the ecu I think).

While I was waiting, I checked out the '14 Mazda 6. Pretty fancy little car. I sure could deal with 30mpg, vs the 16mpg that the cx-9 is getting. Gonna try to talk the wife into going to the dealership with me and see if she likes it. Not sure if she will be willing to give up the extra space, but we've only used the 3rd row seats 2-3 times in 2 years, so I'll remind her about that ;)

Run channel I think.

Yup, exactly. Also they replaced the window motor and frame. I guess that's why it was making a grinding noise when rolling down? Anyway, they did a good job and warranty covered it.

My wife's 09 CX9 has the same issue. I tried prying the corner a little bit to no avail. Her's is well out of warranty. Seems like quite a job to replace myself, but it is annoying, especially on the once-a-month 2.5 hr trips to see the inlaws. I might have to look into purchasing the part and tackling it myself since it's not worth $200 dealer fix yet.

Odrapnew,

It's a really simple do it yourself project. I used the following information to get this done:

Door removal info:
http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Mazda-CX-9-Front-Door-Panel-Removal-Guide/

Video on window run channel removal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1svF3Pmolc (Preview)
-need silicone paste (i used lithium)
-silicone spray

Run Channel p/n (2007 CX9):
http://www.parkmazdaoemparts.com/pa...cleid=189941&diagram=5423360&diagramCallOut=2

Takes about 30 - 60 minutes per side. Window is held in by two screws. Really easy to pop the new run channel in place once you apply the silicone spray. I did it on both the passenger and driver side windows as both were a problem on a 2007 CX9. Helped reduce the wind noise tremendously.

Rob

Odrapnew,

It's a really simple do it yourself project. I used the following information to get this done:

Door removal info:
http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Mazda-CX-9-Front-Door-Panel-Removal-Guide/

Video on window run channel removal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1svF3Pmolc (Preview)
-need silicone paste (i used lithium)
-silicone spray

Run Channel p/n (2007 CX9):
http://www.parkmazdaoemparts.com/pa...cleid=189941&diagram=5423360&diagramCallOut=2

Takes about 30 - 60 minutes per side. Window is held in by two screws. Really easy to pop the new run channel in place once you apply the silicone spray. I did it on both the passenger and driver side windows as both were a problem on a 2007 CX9. Helped reduce the wind noise tremendously.

Rob

Sorry to dig up old info, but I was wondering if you can confirm something for me...
I'm about to do this procedure. Do you actually have to remove the door panel and window to replace the run channel? It looks like it could be just pulled out and the new one shoved in place, but I figured I'd ask someone who had actually done it on a CX-9.
Thanks!
-Mike

I did this about 6-7 years ago. My old thread about it seems to have disappeared. Yes, you have to remove the door panel and glass in order to remove and replace the glass run channel.

Thanks for the reply. I did the job a couple weeks ago, and it went fairly smoothly. I can't say I'm really hearing a ton of improvement in the wind noise situation, maybe about 30% if I had to put a number on it. I'm surprised at how loud this car is, considering that I was coming from a 17-yr old Avalon with over 180k miles that had been wrecked twice, and it's still quieter.
Now that the wind noise is slightly diminished, I'm hearing a rattling/tapping noise coming from low down on the driver's side. I'm fairly sure it's that plastic cladding on the lower door rattling in the wind, since it gets louder with increased speed. Anyone know how to remove that piece, and what needs to be done or replaced to stop the incessant rattling? I swear, I'm beginning to regret jumping into the Mazda pool....

I too had the same problem in my 2012 Grand Touring! I finally went to Autozone and bought some weather stripping. I cut two small pieces and put them behind the rubber seal that is already up there and it seemed to do the trick!

I too had the same problem in my 2012 Grand Touring!

Do you mean the wind noise issue or the problem I mentioned about the tapping sound from the lower plastic cladding?
I'm still looking for a solution to that particular annoyance. My wife drives the car mostly, but every time I get in, I suddenly remember it at around 40mph.
If I could figure out how to remove that lower cladding piece without damaging it, I'm fairly sure I could fix the issue with some foam tape or similar.
Does no one know how that comes off?

Back