Guide How to add heated seats to Mazda5 and 3, any year

Vasy

:
2012 Mazda 5

Mine was missing an option, so I decided to give it a go :)
Maybe I'll add it to the rear seats.... maybe not, will see how life goes.

Last edited:
Those clips are called hog rings BTW. I played with them when I changed the leather on my other car. Nice upgrade!

I was just looking at the exact same carbon heaters on ebay nice write up, they look simple enough to do.

metal through a heated seat is not the safest thing in the world........ Might short or heat up causing a fire.

I would just not put the hog rings through the centre line, or use a seat adhesive to hold the material down - like in the dodge vehicles.

Good video for taking the seat apart though. Thanks!!

metal through a heated seat is not the safest thing in the world........ Might short or heat up causing a fire.

I would just not put the hog rings through the centre line, or use a seat adhesive to hold the material down - like in the dodge vehicles.

Good video for taking the seat apart though. Thanks!!

They do offer some protection for that. It has been a year now, so far ok. Will see what the next 10 bring :)

Is the factory wiring not there for cars without it? I read that some 3's have wiring preinstalled.

I could not find any.

I know this is a little old.

but

My 2007 had the harness and plugs for the heated seats in the front of the centre console (underwhere the blank switch blocks are).
Didn't look under the seat for other wiring. But those plugs supplied ignition power for the seats. Made it easier to install.

but

My 2007 had the harness and plugs for the heated seats in the front of the centre console (underwhere the blank switch blocks are).
Didn't look under the seat for other wiring. But those plugs supplied ignition power for the seats. Made it easier to install.

did you need an adaptor for the harness (to the heat pad)?

but

Would you mind identifying where exactly the blank switch blocks? Are they in the area in blue in this diagram?

Attachments

• 2007 centre.png
    2007 centre.png
    217.9 KB · Views: 72
Would you mind identifying where exactly the blank switch blocks? Are they in the area in blue in this diagram?
The OEM heated seat switches are mounted next to the cupholders. If you were to take this panel out and look on the other side, there will be markings for the holes to be removed for the switch installation.

Screenshot 2022-11-03 142430.jpg

As to the hog rings, a trick I know some guys use when replacing Miata seat upholstery is to use zip ties in lieu of hog rings. That would eliminate the potential for metal hog rings to interfere with the heater elements.

Back