2014 Rear Badge Removal?

Poco Askew

:
2014 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring Hatchback, Jet Black Mica
Has anyone pulled their rear badges yet?
I know how to do it, but I'm wondering which of them have holes in the body. I assume the 'M' has the usual two holes. But how about the 'SKYACTIV' and the 'Mazda 3' emblems? I'd like to get rid of them but don't want to do bodywork or cover holes with plugs, stickers, etc.
-edit-
I wasn't sure whether to put this topic here or in the "How To" sub-forum. Moderators, feel free to move it if you think it belongs elsewhere.
Thanks!

AThreeWay_zps5ba0741d.jpg

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the "mazda3" and "skyactiv" badge are just stuck on. I might take mine out tomorrow if it's sunny and warm.

Seriously, is the badging that horrible? At least keep the Mazda logo :)

IMHO, all badging looks bad. I feel like I have advertising on my car, or like I have bumper stickers plastered on the back. I prefer a clean, stealthy, understated look. YMMV.
I will keep the 'M' or do the evil M mod.

Last edited:
Has anyone pulled their rear badges yet?
I know how to do it, but I'm wondering which of them have holes in the body. I assume the 'M' has the usual two holes. But how about the 'SKYACTIV' and the 'Mazda 3' emblems? I'd like to get rid of them but don't want to do bodywork or cover holes with plugs, stickers, etc.
-edit-
I wasn't sure whether to put this topic here or in the "How To" sub-forum. Moderators, feel free to move it if you think it belongs elsewhere.
Thanks!

AThreeWay_zps5ba0741d.jpg

Are you planning on replacing them with something else or you find them to look tacky?

I always remove the emblems on my cars. It gives it a cleaner smoother look to the back end :D

Are you planning on replacing them with something else or you find them to look tacky?

Personally, I'll leave the 'M', or make it evil. The others will go with no replacements so long as there are no holes in the body. If it turns out there are holes under the Mazda 3 badge, I'll leave it as well.

FWIW, I removed the SKYACTIV badge this morning. I was very careful as I attempted the Mazda 3 removal and could see right away the it is pinned through the body. So back it went. :(

I had decided to leave mine on haha

Are you sure the "mazda3" badge is pinned through the car? Maybe just some very tough glue. I don't think I know of any car that does that.

Sine its getting colder now it might be useful to hit it with a hair dryer for a couple minutes, try not to hold it in one place though. Once its softened up some then start to peel it back, also could use dental floss to cut it off from behind then peel off the tape.

Getting them off is no problem. I just don't want to deal with the holes in the body once removed.
I use a heat gun set to low and then am careful. A hair dryer is pretty useless around here this time of year. I tried one on my previous car and after 10 minutes on a small badge, almost no help. Heat gun = about 45 seconds and you can lift off the badge w/o any glue left on the car to clean up.

Last edited:
I've always used dental floss to de badge my cars. Follow up with Goof Off or similar product.

Getting them off is no problem. I just don't want to deal with the holes in the body once removed.
I use a heat gun set to low and then am careful. A hair dryer is pretty useless around here this time of year. I tried one on my previous car and after 10 minutes on a small badge, almost no help. Heat gun = about 45 seconds and you can lift off the badge w/o any glue left on the car to clean up.

So the Skyactive badge is just taped on, but the Mazda 3 one has pins, it looks like my old WRX badger and that was just taped on? Is that what you confirmed though, that it has pins going through the metal? I would have liked to take off both the Mazda 3 and Skyactive Badges...

So the Skyactive badge is just taped on, but the Mazda 3 one has pins, it looks like my old WRX badger and that was just taped on? Is that what you confirmed though, that it has pins going through the metal? I would have liked to take off both the Mazda 3 and Skyactive Badges...
Exactly. SKYACTIV is just tape. But the Mazda 3 badge has pins (2?) through the body.

A picture is worth 1000 words.

20131130_164821.jpg

I'm not putting the Mazda back on, as I actually have plans for a custom badge that was on my Miata. I have to finish prep/painting the badge, so for now it looks like this

20131130_171508.jpg

The only vehicle with holes in there badges is the hatch i think. I just debadged my i touring sedan an no holes. i assume its bc of the curves.

Back