The Toughest Cars To Negotiate: October 2013

The Mazda3 is on the list as well. I don't understand why Mazda doesn't sell more cars. I guess we can all consider ourselves the enlightened ones.

I received a postcard in the mail from the local dealer saying that they just got 42(!) CX-5's in from the factory. This is in a town with less than 10,000 residents and it is the biggest 'city' around.

I'm guessing they are willing to negotiate. lol.

Thanks for posting this! I'm trying to help a friend buy a CX-5 this weekend and as we go through the usual hell of trying to find a good deal, it's nice to know that we're not getting better deals because of how in-demand the CX-5 is.

I had just explained to him how, if he were buying some other, less in-demand vehicle he might actually be looking at several thousand dollars off models of old inventory. But between the demand for the CX-5 worldwide and Mazda producing only a reasonable amount of them, it's going to be slight discounts all around.

Cheers,

There weren't many around when I was shopping back in October of last year either, but I still managed to get invoice less $500 owner loyalty and a 0.9% Mazda loan. Just keep looking and don't be afraid to shop outside your area (600 miles out in my case!).

Got mine for $1500 off sticker, but it was 9/30, so last day of quarter and last day of model year, albeit for a 2014.

True, I keep my cars for at least 10 years and than give them away to my kids.

Bought mine on Feb 2, 2013, got +2200 off MSRP & 0.9% financing including the $500 loyalty. Had a trade in though.
Only negotiated the trade in. Guy called/emailed me with the quote on Fri night. Picked up the car on Sat.

What do you mean end of the model year? They change it in February, no?

I'm not an expert - a colleague of mine who used to be a finance manager at Porsche NA said that for JD Power purposes the model year ends 9/30. Now granted, for a 2014 that doesn't mean a lot, but I think it would have big impact on any 2013s still lying around.

I think that every brand has it's own model year end. VW has it in July, Honda in September, I believe Toyota in October, Mazda in February and so on.

When I bought a 2014 in June the dealership had about ten 2013's on their lot, but surprisingly they did not even attempt to sell or offer a discount on the 13's. I could not figure this out because they were moving the 14's and I got a pretty good deal, but when I asked about one of the 13's it was only like a few hundred dollars less and they did not seem willing to budge on that amount. The amount I paid for the 14 after negotiating was less than the 13.

I guess I was just surprised they were not pushing to get rid of them with big discounts.

Bought my "2013" CX-5 in March of 2012 as it was being shipped to the dealer. I paid full price (blarf) since it was one of only several they were getting at the time and I live in the D.C. area.

Back