Infotainment System Bugs

BTW: Version 55 is now available for Dealers to download for many bug fixes/updates.

I see that you're from Australia... I was told by a rep at Mazda's Customer Experience Center (several weeks ago) that a new version for the US market would be coming out later this year (like October-ish) and that it would likely have a "significantly higher version number" than 33, as the developers seem to go to a new version number each time a bug is fixed.

I was contemplating calling them back about something else I've noticed (not only does the USB forget, it now will not recognize the USB stick and displays an error saying so, as well as switching to FM from CD randomly when starting the car) - so I'll do that sometime soon and maybe get some more info on this for those of us in the US.

AdzamOZ - can you confirm whether the USB and Bluetooth crashes seem to be fixed in this new version?

Australia is on top of Mazda's priority.
Especially the 3.

Over here in Japan I received a letter 2 weeks ago offering to update the software - infotainment and ECU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Australia is on top of Mazda's priority.
Especially the 3.

Over here in Japan I received a letter 2 weeks ago offering to update the software - infotainment and ECU

What is the update to the ECU for?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

BTW: Version 55 is now available for Dealers to download for many bug fixes/updates.

Is there any indication whether they fixed any of the issues connecting to wifi? We're in the UK with version 33 and wifi only connects occasionally mostly it just gives an error.

V55 will rollout to all countries..
These are the fixes on 55 over what was already done on 33.

Black screen on Navigation.
System not recognize USB/SD card.
Some music source menu selection is greyed out.
Navigation or other screens freezes or reboots.
Vehicle current position inaccurate.
Using Call button on the mobile/cell phone to make a call, the call sound is short.
Favourites disappear.

Now, for the local Wi-Fi to work you have to be in a free use hot-spot.

Remember (again in most countries) Info firmware updates are done under new car warranty and it is necessary for the owner to complain about an
issue they are having (pick one above) and is usually best to have these updates done at servicing schedule.
Private Dealers are fed up just doing Info updates ONLY because of time constraints and what Mazda pays them, request updates during a Service book in and you will be sure to get a good reception and not be fobbed off....just some advice ...OK...remember, everyone is 'special'. j/k.

ECU/PCM is a totally separate vehicle update and is usually country specific (but not always).

Last edited:
Thanks. We've experienced some of those problems so shouldn't be any problem getting an update.

I'm not sure what you mean about the WiFi. My wife tethers through her phone which is fine when it works but more often than not it simply errors when trying to connect. I hope they might have improved that a bit but if I understand correctly they discontinued WiFi for US users so maybe fixing it in those countries that still offer it will be lower priority.

The ECU update in japan is just to improve i-Stop responsiveness and update the i-eloop map...

It says something about the awd system but I couldn't really understand...

So just an update...but there isn't anything wrong with the ECU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dealer is not finding the .55 update can someone post the sevice buliten number?
Also, I notice you have a CX-5, and although the 2016 has MazdaConnect like our 2014+ Mazda3's - my understanding from the rep at Mazda Corporate was that the software is model dependent. I'm not sure I totally believe that (it's theoretically cheaper and easier to keep the systems consistent across the models) but that's what I was told when talking to the rep at Mazda HQ in Irvine.

All this to say, MrM1, is that the info in this thread (for the infotainment in the 2014 Mazda3) may or may not apply to your 2016 CX-5.

Thanks All ... After pressing the issue, the Service Manager (really great lady) did her homework and DID Find the .55 update for the 2016 CX-5. Got it installed.

attachment.php

Oddly ... It did not seem to fix any of my smaller issues with phone connectivity - they say I need to update my phone ... probably ... lol. But I was told by the Service Manager that the software effect the whole vehicle so it would have to "learn" me again. So I am guessing this software effects more than just entertainment and GPS, etc. But everything for air mix to emissions control ??

That said ... A few things that i am wondering about since the update ...
1. I've had the car now finishing up my 3rd week. I did not recall the Passenger Air Bag Off light being on ALL THE TIME (see Pic) when no one is in the seat until after the update. Is that typical that the light in the center of the console stays on all the time and never goes off?
2. Also, the first day it came home .... I noticed that when I clicked the door lock on the key fob, the headlights and tail lights would turn on (it was dusk) and then in about 5-8 seconds would turn off. Next day ...it did not do this and has not done it sense ... odd. I did not change any settings in the system.

Latest info is that the V55 update might be rolled out by fall (October) in North America.

It is already available in North America (June), technically it was released for current BM Mazda 3, however from and including Version 55 it will also work for KE CX-5 and 2016 GJ Mazda 6 with Mazda Connect.

See owner post /\ on their new updated 2016.

Thanks All ... After pressing the issue, the Service Manager (really great lady) did her homework and DID Find the .55 update for the 2016 CX-5. Got it installed.

attachment.php

Oddly ... It did not seem to fix any of my smaller issues with phone connectivity - they say I need to update my phone ... probably ... lol. But I was told by the Service Manager that the software effect the whole vehicle so it would have to "learn" me again. So I am guessing this software effects more than just entertainment and GPS, etc. But everything for air mix to emissions control ??

That said ... A few things that i am wondering about since the update ...
1. I've had the car now finishing up my 3rd week. I did not recall the Passenger Air Bag Off light being on ALL THE TIME (see Pic) when no one is in the seat until after the update. Is that typical that the light in the center of the console stays on all the time and never goes off?
2. Also, the first day it came home .... I noticed that when I clicked the door lock on the key fob, the headlights and tail lights would turn on (it was dusk) and then in about 5-8 seconds would turn off. Next day ...it did not do this and has not done it sense ... odd. I did not change any settings in the system.

Did you totally Delete the 'MAZDA' in your phones Bluetooth section BEFORE you re-paired the phone and away from car (if car is on/running) after new V55 update?

Edit:, this update has nothing to do with engine controls, or CEL lights, it is ONLY for Mazda Connect (CMU Firmware update/ Sat Nav).
Don't you guys in US have a separate passenger Air Bag ON/OFF Switch?, perhaps you should turn it back on?
The headlights on at dusk is a courtesy for you to walk away with lights, perhaps the second time it was not as dark (same time).
I suggest you sit down and read your owners handbook in glove box...it is all in there.

Last edited:
Don't you guys in US have a separate passenger Air Bag ON/OFF Switch?, perhaps you should turn it back on?
The headlights on at dusk is a courtesy for you to walk away with lights, perhaps the second time it was not as dark (same time).
I suggest you sit down and read your owners handbook in glove box...it is all in there.
Yes ... But it all seems random. I've never turned off a switch, and the headlights thing is like one day it does... the next day it doesnt. One day the horn honks when you double press the lock on the key fob ... the next day it doesnt ... it just seems that are little random "ghosts in the machine"

Yes ... But it all seems random. I've never turned off a switch, and the headlights thing is like one day it does... the next day it doesnt. One day the horn honks when you double press the lock on the key fob ... the next day it doesnt ... it just seems that are little random "ghosts in the machine"

Auto Headlight on/off and Headlight Courtesy on/off works from a light sensor (I have to look it up, but I think on CX-5 one is on top of dashboard (a little button cover)).
As an example some may park car half (or fully) in a poorly lit garage, some may leave outside, so it is not always the same dusk light intensity.
Horn?, I have not heard about 'issues', but yours is a new update model, give it a while and there will be a TSB IF there are seen to be bugs.
So many of these are code issues which are updated via Mazda IDS (at a Dealer level during a normal service) which can be updated every few months, for all model Mazda's.
It (updates) can take a few months as Mazda needs more than one case (complaint) and then these complaints must be technically investigated with an engineering, parts or a software fix, believe me Mazda are very good, excellent in fact, and will always rectify.
I have been in the 'car game' for a very long time and Mazda Japan are one of the best (if not the best in Japan) for listening to it's customer issues, it may not always be communicated quickly or that way at Mazda Dealer level as they are private companies not controlled by MMC Japan.
If I hear of anything I will let you all know.

Edit:, this update has nothing to do with engine controls, or CEL lights, it is ONLY for Mazda Connect (CMU Firmware update/ Sat Nav).
[...]
[...]

Agreed - the infotainment is separate from the ECM/PCM. Although, it seems to exercise some interesting powers over the maintenance (wrench) light in the dash from what I've experienced...

In the US, the airbag on/off is controlled by an occupancy-type weight sensor in the passenger seat. This is all explained in the owners manual/handbook on my Mazda3, as I recall.

If there is nobody sitting in the passenger seat, sitting sideways in the seat, or does not weigh enough to meet the requirements of the sensor to turn on the airbag, that light will illuminate telling you the airbag has been turned off.

Agreed - the infotainment is separate from the ECM/PCM. Although, it seems to exercise some interesting powers over the maintenance (wrench) light in the dash from what I've experienced...

In the US, the airbag on/off is controlled by an occupancy-type weight sensor in the passenger seat. This is all explained in the owners manual/handbook on my Mazda3, as I recall.

If there is nobody sitting in the passenger seat, sitting sideways in the seat, or does not weigh enough to meet the requirements of the sensor to turn on the airbag, that light will illuminate telling you the airbag has been turned off.

The Mazda Connect CMU does communicate with the Instrument Cluster (IC), but that is as far as it goes.
Software/Firmware updates are completely separate beasts, one is done via a USB 2.0 Flash Drive, the other (PCM) via OBD2 (CAN).
Yes, there are weight sensors in seats, however it was a requirement in USA and EU that there is a separate ON/OFF switch for Passenger Air Bag activation, which is always lit up orange if it was switched off.
I have not checked 2016 CX-5 yet.

Yes, there are weight sensors in seats, however it was a requirement in USA and EU that there is a separate ON/OFF switch for Passenger Air Bag activation, which is always lit up orange if it was switched off.
I have not checked 2016 CX-5 yet.

http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shoppers/Air+Bags/ON-OFF+Switch+FAQ
The US does not require vehicles to come from the OEM with a switch, although I believe most standard pickups (without a backseat for a child seat) and two-seat vehicles come with the switch still. I do not know whether this is a requirement in the EU.

Back on topic - can those with V.55 comment on whether the infotainment will switch back to FM when restarting the car after a period of time from CD/USB/Pandora/etc. or if the USB can remember where you left off, yet? I'm still running v.33 and I'm anxiously awaiting a fix to this problem I've been having since I bought the car. The dealer replaced the TAU and it did not help, in fact, I feel as though it has made it worse. (gah)

Back on topic - can those with V.55 comment on whether the infotainment will switch back to FM when restarting the car after a period of time from CD/USB/Pandora/etc. or if the USB can remember where you left off, yet? I'm still running v.33 and I'm anxiously awaiting a fix to this problem I've been having since I bought the car. The dealer replaced the TAU and it did not help, in fact, I feel as though it has made it worse. (gah)

There were a few faulty TAU's in very early Mazda 3's made before March 17 last year, they were renewed at Dealer (or should have been) with exchange unit/modified unit distributed from United Radio (for US Only).
The symptom or issues of the TAU fix were...

AM/FM/XM cannot be selected as they are greyed out
Radio station returns to 87.9MHz on its own
Audio sound setting resets on its own
TAU version is displayed as “not available”
Volume of FM stations changes while driving when there is poor reception.

I suggest you get your Firmware updated for CMU to V55 for 'other software' issues.

Last edited:
Back